Author Topic: Jeff Green to Charlotte? (Idea)  (Read 6520 times)

Re: Jeff Green to Charlotte? (Idea)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
If the Celtics can draft Wiggins or Parker, then I would love for them to trade Green for MKG.

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 11:40:57 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
TP, and welcome to the blog from a fellow transplanted Nutmeg Stater.

Basically, what Who said. If MKG were capable of playing the 2, I could see Charlotte being interested in Green. Or, if Charlotte viewed green as a stretch 4, or as a 6th man. But I don't think any of those scenarios are likely, unfortunately.

With the dearth of above average sgs in the league today, some may view Green as the answer at that position. I realize he isn't your prototypical "2", but he is quick, can spread the floor and would be a monster defensively. The fact is, most of the best sgs are pgs.

Nice point.  Jeff can really play SG, SF, and PF for the Cats.  He would be a useful player for them.  I would try to get Biyombo and Haywood IF we cannot get a center.  Fair to me.

Smitty77

Haywood isn't worth much to us. Probably not worth much to Charlotte either considering Big Al probably appreciates spacing.

I wasn't sure if JG alone would net us Biyombo.

But if you put it that way, now I think JG might actually be able to fetch Biyombo and more for us. JG sounds like a very nice piece to their puzzle.

For the same reason Haywood isn't worth much for them, Biyombo is probably worth a little less to them now.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Unless Charlotte wants to pursue a trade for Green this July using their cap space, they'll need to send out matching salaries.

A trade on Draft Night?

Gary Neal, Biyombo, and Brendan Haywood match Jeff Green's salary. Charlotte has the #24 pick (from Portland), and if Detroit happens to slip out of the top 8 after the lottery, that pick heads to Charlotte as well.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 02:16:41 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Basically, what Who said. If MKG were capable of playing the 2, I could see Charlotte being interested in Green. Or, if Charlotte viewed green as a stretch 4, or as a 6th man. But I don't think any of those scenarios are likely, unfortunately.

With the dearth of above average sgs in the league today, some may view Green as the answer at that position. I realize he isn't your prototypical "2", but he is quick, can spread the floor and would be a monster defensively. The fact is, most of the best sgs are pgs.

Nice point.  Jeff can really play SG, SF, and PF for the Cats.  He would be a useful player for them.  I would try to get Biyombo and Haywood IF we cannot get a center.  Fair to me.

Smitty77

Haywood isn't worth much to us. Probably not worth much to Charlotte either considering Big Al probably appreciates spacing.

But if you put it that way, now I think JG might actually be able to fetch Biyombo and more for us. JG sounds like a very nice piece to their puzzle.

For the same reason Haywood isn't worth much for them, Biyombo is probably worth a little less to them now.
From the Stein article referenced above:

"The fact that Bismack Biyombo scarcely played in this series only raises the volume on questions about the 21-year-old big man's future with the franchise, given Jefferson's compromised health. Biyombo will be a $3.9 million player next season and has to make some real progress to get to passable offensively in order to justify the faith of Bobcats general manager Rich Cho, who acquired the 2011 No. 7 overall pick on draft night in a deal with Sacramento."

Biyombo didn't play squat in the biggest series in recent Bobcat history and JG wouldn't net him? MKG is another name wildly overvalued here.  Can't shoot a lick. 

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 02:53:27 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Smitty77

From the Stein article referenced above:

"The fact that Bismack Biyombo scarcely played in this series only raises the volume on questions about the 21-year-old big man's future with the franchise, given Jefferson's compromised health. Biyombo will be a $3.9 million player next season and has to make some real progress to get to passable offensively in order to justify the faith of Bobcats general manager Rich Cho, who acquired the 2011 No. 7 overall pick on draft night in a deal with Sacramento."

Biyombo didn't play squat in the biggest series in recent Bobcat history and JG wouldn't net him? MKG is another name wildly overvalued here.  Can't shoot a lick.

I'm probably not as down on Green as some fans are here.1

My "gut feeling" of this trade idea admittedly partly stems from an overreaction to his performance this season2. And in all likelihood, a GM would not have a semi-knee-jerk reaction to JG's poor season like me.

However, on the flip side, Biyombo's still 21 (or at least he is apparently). And the same argument can be made that GMs are probably not going to overreact to his lack of performance.

I'd say there's a 50/50 chance you're right.

----

1JG's certainly not just a 6th or 7th man. As a "3rd option" Jeff Green's fantastic. Even as a "2nd option" he could be solid depending on the "1st option". (Much as it's true a go to guy is helpful and perhaps important, the bravado it entails makes me hate the concept. "1st option" makes me think of LeBron pounding his chest and flexing after dunking on the frail, old, 6'2 Jason terry. Or Westbrook trying to tie the game with 16 seconds left on the clock with a horrible 3. Or Durant jacking up a 3 over 3 defenders. A bona fide leader is Duncan or KG - no self, just basketball. [Side note: Wish LeBron were more like Tim Duncan - chill out!]...I digress)

2I am disappointed by Jeff Green this season. I didn't expect a star season, or a breakout season. But seeing him squander all these opportunities to grab rebounds, to exert himself makes me disappointed.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 03:50:46 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I think Jeff Green is good enough to net at least Biyombo.

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
and then some.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 04:39:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
I can't imagine why they'd be bullish on Carroll.  I think he's basically a finished product.  A nice, replacement level SF. 
I thought DeMarre Carroll adding that three point shot was a career changer for him. Brought him up from an average backup SF (replacement level SF) to being a high level bench player to quality starting SF. He was already a good defender + rebounder. It was just his offensive limitations in past seasons that made him a journeyman type. But after adding that three point shot, I think D.Carroll is going to be a sought after role player now. Guys who can defend, rebound and spread the floor the way he can are quite valuable.

I do agree ATL would trade him for J.Green though - if they liked J.Green at his paycheck that is. As useful as DeMarre Carroll is, J.Green is even better.

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
and then some.
Yeah, I don't think Biyombo has much trade value either.

A late first rounder is the best I could see them doing. Maybe only a pair of second rounders.

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Biyombo looks like he can be a slightly better Joel Anthony.  Are there people expecting him to be more than that?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Biyombo looks like he can be a slightly better Joel Anthony.  Are there people expecting him to be more than that?

I agree Biyombo is heading in that direction but I also think it's too early to write him off as something more. His physical talent really is remarkable. His speed, length, leaping ability, stamina and still improving strength is one hell of a package. He just need to continue working on his fundamentals defensively and keep learning how to be effective as an undersized C.

I mean, Ben Wallace did nothing more than Biyombo did his first couple of years in the league either. And he was a couple of years older than Biyombo. I think it can take undersized centers (non-offensive threat types, defender/rebounders) a bit longer to figure things out. To learn how to overcome their size disadvantage and learn how their athleticism creates advantages for them. It'll be interesting to see whether he can get it together.