Author Topic: Thoughts on signing JJ reddick?  (Read 3821 times)

Re: Thoughts on signing JJ reddick?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 07:06:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If he leaves Philly it will probably be more money/years, which he wouldn't get with us. And while he was very effective last year, I would be leery of when his drop off is coming giving he is turning 35 in a week. His 3p% declined a little bit last year to 39% ( he had been between 42-47% the previous 4 years).
I expect the Sixers to offer Redick 3yrs/30M.  He's really in an optimal situation playing with Embiid.  3pt shooting ages well.  His 3p% was 39.7 and that coincided with an increase from 6.6 to 8.0 attempts.  If he leaves the Sixers, it most likely would be for the Nets.

Can the 76ers offer him this if they offer butler and harris the max?

they can have FOUR max players .....Embiid , Simmons , Harris and Butler and Reddick ?

If they want to pay an insane luxury tax, yes. But Butler is most likely gone. Maybe Harris, too.
Luxury tax really doesn't go insane until you get hit with the repeater tax. 

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 07:22:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I  don't think he would ever sign here because he has always been on our rivals....

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 07:24:37 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
If he leaves Philly it will probably be more money/years, which he wouldn't get with us. And while he was very effective last year, I would be leery of when his drop off is coming giving he is turning 35 in a week. His 3p% declined a little bit last year to 39% ( he had been between 42-47% the previous 4 years).
I expect the Sixers to offer Redick 3yrs/30M.  He's really in an optimal situation playing with Embiid.  3pt shooting ages well.  His 3p% was 39.7 and that coincided with an increase from 6.6 to 8.0 attempts.  If he leaves the Sixers, it most likely would be for the Nets.

they can have FOUR max players .....Embiid , Simmons , Harris and Butler and Reddick ?

If they want to pay an insane luxury tax, yes. But Butler is most likely gone. Maybe Harris, too.

True, but if they re-sign all their guys this summer at market value, AND then give Simmons a max extension next summer, their starting lineup for 2020-2021 would be at $152 million as a repeat offender, before filling out their bench with minimum contracts. That's nuts.

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 09:13:58 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
No. He can't defend.

This. Redick would get absolutely exposed given how much Brad likes to switch.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 09:57:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

True, but if they re-sign all their guys this summer at market value, AND then give Simmons a max extension next summer, their starting lineup for 2020-2021 would be at $152 million as a repeat offender, before filling out their bench with minimum contracts. That's nuts.
They won't be a repeat offender in 2020/21.  You don't become a repeat offender until you're in the tax for 3 of the last 4 seasons.  So assuming they don't go into the tax next season, they won't be paying repeater tax for the next 4 seasons. 

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 11:02:21 PM »

• Sam Hauser

They won't be a repeat offender in 2020/21.  You don't become a repeat offender until you're in the tax for 3 of the last 4 seasons.  So assuming they don't go into the tax next season, they won't be paying repeater tax for the next 4 seasons.

You're right. I stand corrected. For some reason I thought they were over this year, but I guess the earliest they would be a repeat offender is after the 2022-2023 season.

The progressive luxury tax is still really brutal, though. Paying 425% once they get $25 million over the threshold isn't sustainable. I don't see them bringing back Butler, Harris AND Reddick.

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 11:06:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Would love it.

Not sure we have the cash though as he's probably in that 2nd tier of free agents.

Philly might also get desperate and offer him a lucrative deal as they could lose both Harris and Butler to free agency (so much for the process.)

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 11:49:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

You're right. I stand corrected. For some reason I thought they were over this year, but I guess the earliest they would be a repeat offender is after the 2022-2023 season.

The progressive luxury tax is still really brutal, though. Paying 425% once they get $25 million over the threshold isn't sustainable. I don't see them bringing back Butler, Harris AND Reddick.
I don't think they'll be that much over the tax.  They'd have two 30%Max and two 25%Max players.  The Sixers traded for Harris knowing the future tax implications.  They came within a decent backup C of beating Toronto and I think they would have beat the Bucks. 

The tax payers for the 2017/18 season were Cavs ($50.7M), Warriors ($32.3M), Thunder ($25.4M), Wizards ($7.0M).  30M or even 50M tax isn't that much to pay for a championship contender. 

Edit:  By the way if we trade for AD and re-sign Kyrie, we'll be in a worse tax situation than the Sixers.  We already are in the tax this season. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:55:08 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2019, 12:11:38 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I  don't think he would ever sign here because he has always been on our rivals....

Know what you mean. Just the sight of JJ Redick gets my blood boiling.

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2019, 12:29:58 AM »

• Sam Hauser

I don't think they'll be that much over the tax.  They'd have two 30%Max and two 25%Max players.  The Sixers traded for Harris knowing the future tax implications.  They came within a decent backup C of beating Toronto and I think they would have beat the Bucks.

The tax payers for the 2017/18 season were Cavs ($50.7M), Warriors ($32.3M), Thunder ($25.4M), Wizards ($7.0M).  30M or even 50M tax isn't that much to pay for a championship contender. 

$50 million in taxes is a lot, but $135 million is nuts.

Starting in 2020-2021, their starting lineup will cost $152 million by itself, with the projected luxury tax at $143 million. That's $9 million over with at least 8 players needed to round out the roster (and you have to believe they won't stop at the roster minimum of 13). And if they're going to go all in, they'll use their mid-level and bi-annual exceptions, too, which adds another $14 million in salary.

Say under that scenario, they end up $30 million over the luxury tax. That means they're paying $173 million in salaries and another $135 million in taxes.

And that's before the repeater tax kicks in in 2022-2023.

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2019, 01:01:01 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Brown is too good to sign Reddick

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2019, 01:02:02 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Starting in 2020-2021, their starting lineup will cost $152 million by itself, with the projected luxury tax at $143 million. That's $9 million over with at least 8 players needed to round out the roster (and you have to believe they won't stop at the roster minimum of 13). And if they're going to go all in, they'll use their mid-level and bi-annual exceptions, too, which adds another $14 million in salary.

Say under that scenario, they end up $30 million over the luxury tax. That means they're paying $173 million in salaries and another $135 million in taxes.

How do you get 135M in taxes on 30m above the tax line?  My calculation is that it would be 84.5M. 

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2019, 01:31:48 AM »

• Sam Hauser

How do you get 135M in taxes on 30m above the tax line?  My calculation is that it would be 84.5M.

The progressive tax rate is 425% when you're $30 million over the luxury tax.

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2019, 02:18:48 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Its an incremental tax.  You don't pay that rate on all 30M.  You only pay it on the 5M from 25 to 30. 

Refer to http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q18 
For example: 
A team with a team salary $12 million over the tax level pays a tax of $21.25 million (the incremental maximum of $7.5 million for $0 to $4,999,999, plus the incremental maximum of $8.75 million for $5 million to $9,999,999, plus $2 million times the incremental rate of $2.50 for $10 million to $14,999,999).

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2019, 03:07:37 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Its an incremental tax.  You don't pay that rate on all 30M.  You only pay it on the 5M from 25 to 30. 

Refer to http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q18 
For example: 
A team with a team salary $12 million over the tax level pays a tax of $21.25 million (the incremental maximum of $7.5 million for $0 to $4,999,999, plus the incremental maximum of $8.75 million for $5 million to $9,999,999, plus $2 million times the incremental rate of $2.50 for $10 million to $14,999,999).

so this has gotten a bit confusing, is there a concrete answer of how much 76ers would pay if they had butler and harris at max and reddick at 10 and embid and simmons at max? the only time i ever heard a 4 max brought up was golden state and i didnt see them considering paying a 5th guy 10 million, (i think iggy would be expiring when the other 4 were full max, but again, it is all confusing)