Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (new GNR album)  (Read 9620 times)

Re: Chinese Democracy (new GNR album)
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 05:59:51 PM »

Offline OhioGreen17

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I do hope the album is a better representation of GNR than Velvet Revolver was.  That sound to me did not seem near as good a quality.

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 06:16:31 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I do hope the album is a better representation of GNR than Velvet Revolver was.  That sound to me did not seem near as good a quality.

Was Velvet Revolver billed as a GnR replacement? I thought it was supposed to be more of a supergroup concept, with Weiland lending his frontman chops to the GnR alumni.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 06:41:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
That band isn't Guns & Roses, its Axel Rose & Friends.

The real GNR died awhile ago.

Guns n' Roses is Axl Rose & Friends.

As good as Slash, Izzy and Duff were, without Axl Rose Guns n' Roses would be nothing. And the new album is classic Guns n' Roses.

Beg to differ on that statement.

Just because you call yourself Guns 'n Roses, doesn't mean you're Guns 'n Roses.

This version of Guns n Roses IS Guns n Roses, just listen to the album and you will see that. It's similar to how NIN is NIN as long as Trent Reznor is there, and The Cure is The Cure as long as Robert Smith is there. Slash and Duff were awesome guitar and bass players, but they can't write songs well at all, as seen by their solo albums and velvet revolver, and they actually didn't write much for the original guns n roses songs either, axl and izzy stradlin did, and Izzy has actually toured with the new guns n roses lineup a few times. As good as Slash was, the new guitar players are as good or better IMO.

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 06:46:57 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
First of all, big fan of "classic" GnR.

I like what I've heard of this album although its not as good as their previous material. Also like Velvet Revolver, which wasn't so much a GnR replacement as a mix of STP with GnR.

To me, while an important part Axl isn't GnR. You need the others as well. Would Sweet Child O'Mine be as good without Slash's iconic riff at the begining or the solo?

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 06:52:46 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
That band isn't Guns & Roses, its Axel Rose & Friends.

The real GNR died awhile ago.

Guns n' Roses is Axl Rose & Friends.

As good as Slash, Izzy and Duff were, without Axl Rose Guns n' Roses would be nothing. And the new album is classic Guns n' Roses.

Beg to differ on that statement.

Just because you call yourself Guns 'n Roses, doesn't mean you're Guns 'n Roses.

This version of Guns n Roses IS Guns n Roses, just listen to the album and you will see that. It's similar to how NIN is NIN as long as Trent Reznor is there, and The Cure is The Cure as long as Robert Smith is there. Slash and Duff were awesome guitar and bass players, but they can't write songs well at all, as seen by their solo albums and velvet revolver, and they actually didn't write much for the original guns n roses songs either, axl and izzy stradlin did, and Izzy has actually toured with the new guns n roses lineup a few times. As good as Slash was, the new guitar players are as good or better IMO.

Got to disagree with that. I agree that it does sound like Guns n' Roses though, it's got Axl Rose written all over it which is great.

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 07:44:11 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I think people should chill on the reliving the early 90's thing. NO band with any amount of longevity stays the same after that much time, so long as they capture the essence of their identity that's all you can ask for regardless of who's playing what. From what I've heard, Chinese Democracy does a pretty good job of that for the most part.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~