Author Topic: The Myth of the 2018 Playoffs  (Read 3669 times)

Re: The Myth of the 2018 Playoffs
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 12:09:07 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Lots of people commenting about my use of “Myth”.

The myth is that Boston without kyrie/Hayward is a world-beater because of the playoff run.

That playoff run wasn’t a big deal.  They haven’t proven anything. They barely snuck by a mediocre bucks team thanks to unrepeatable performances by guys like Rozier, kicked an unprepared Philly team in the teeth, and got beat by a Cavs team that nearly lost in the first round to the Pacers.  Technically, the pacers took the Cavs further than we did since they only lost game 7 by 4 points and we lost by 8.

Not a big deal.   The idea this team can contend without our stars is the myth.   That was a fluke unprecedented run.  They deserve credit for overachieving, but it’s important to recognize they overachieved.

The post was a direct response to a growing sentiment im seeing from Celtic fans (especially on Reddit) which is literally people saying “please leave, kyrie - we were better without you”

That’s the myth.

We beat Milwaukee.  We beat Philly.  We lost to the EC Champion Cavs in game 7.  You say that's "not a big deal."

So what is a big deal?
Getting swept by Cavs like Toronto did?  Losing to the "not a big deal" Celtics?

Or does simply only one team deserve any recognition at all in the Eastern Conference?  And all the other efforts are just dismissable and no team deserves any credit or even recognition for outperforming the remaining 13 teams in the conference.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 12:39:14 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Fans want to pop pop going to the ECF because they don't want to credit Brown or Rozier.

That was a big growth moment for them and there's no disputing it. Keep downplaying it all you want but we have to make it back or this season is worse.

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2019, 12:48:59 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Lol LarBrd. They're going to put a price on your head.

I agree with you though. Especially in that first round against Milwaukee. We barely survived that series. Overall, it was a nice run but the further we get away from it, the more mythical it gets - and I say mythical as in idealized. Kind of like the guy who was almost pick-pocketed in the subway but catches the thief just in time but a year later the story's changed from "I caught a guy on the train trying to lift my wallet" to "I fought off 3 armed robbers on a moving train"
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2019, 01:29:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

I agree with you though. Especially in that first round against Milwaukee. We barely survived that series. Overall, it was a nice run but the further we get away from it, the more mythical it gets - and I say mythical as in idealized. Kind of like the guy who was almost pick-pocketed in the subway but catches the thief just in time but a year later the story's changed from "I caught a guy on the train trying to lift my wallet" to "I fought off 3 armed robbers on a moving train"
I don't know if I'd say barely survived Milwaukee.  I mean the closest game was Game 4 in Milwaukee, a game in which Boston was leading with under a minute to play and had a decent enough look as time expired to tie that game and send it to OT (Morris missed a 14 footer).  Boston wins that game and the series is over in 5. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2019, 07:38:23 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I don't know if I'd say barely survived Milwaukee.  I mean the closest game was Game 4 in Milwaukee, a game in which Boston was leading with under a minute to play and had a decent enough look as time expired to tie that game and send it to OT (Morris missed a 14 footer).  Boston wins that game and the series is over in 5.
if people want to act like we were world beaters because we nearly beat the Cavs in 7 games, then they should also act like we were scrubs because we nearly lost in the first round in 7 games. 

Kinda like that fake 2012 “contender” that nearly beat the Heat in 7 games...  they also nearly let a below .500 Sixers team beat them in round 2.

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2019, 08:00:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I just wish people would get off the anti-Kyrie train. It's fine if you don't like him, but he is a top-level player in this league and we should want to retain him, even if it is only to trade him later. We aren't signing anybody better in his place (not even close). We can only hope he isn't reading these posts from seemingly so many fans - or at least a very vocal contingent.

LB's greater point seems to be that we won't be better without Kyrie, and that should be blatantly obvious to everybody. I seriously don't get why anybody would think our franchise moving forward would be better off letting him walk for nothing. It would be a huge step back in player/team value.

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 09:13:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

if people want to act like we were world beaters because we nearly beat the Cavs in 7 games, then they should also act like we were scrubs because we nearly lost in the first round in 7 games. 

Kinda like that fake 2012 “contender” that nearly beat the Heat in 7 games...  they also nearly let a below .500 Sixers team beat them in round 2.
the thing is no one (except maybe a very small fringe and I do mean maybe) actually believe what you claim.  That is what makes this thread so asinine.  It is based on a faulty premise countering an argument that hasn't been made and doesn't need countering.  The run last year wasn't a myth.  It was the expected outcome based on the draw i.e. if you played all of those series 100 times, the winner in those series more times than not would have ended up exactly as it happened.  Boston still beats Milwaukee and Philadelphia more times than not and Cleveland still beats Boston more times than not.  When the expected happens it isn't a myth.  That certainly doesn't mean it is predicative of what would happen in series this year as all of those teams are different.  Our 3 main competition has all gotten significantly better, so while we are better this year, it doesn't mean we won't end up losing earlier, it would just be to a better team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2019, 09:14:27 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

matchups are real

Just sayin
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2019, 02:25:32 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Last years Eastern conference was the culmination of 3 or 4 years of the lack of parody between the East and the West. Last years EC winner, the Cavs would have lost to Houston, and possibly a few other teams besides being destroyed by the Warriors. Even with Lebron still playing at a high level on the Cavs.

Finally, this year through the signing of free agents, a trade or two, and the maturing of a few young stars, the East is nearing the talent level of the West, while still lagging behind.

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2019, 09:16:47 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
The team looks cooked, glazed and sliced. No life after 2 days off. Pathetic