Author Topic: Jerry Sloan is dying  (Read 1959 times)

Jerry Sloan is dying
« on: July 18, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jazz-coaching-icon-jerry-sloan-reportedly-dying-as-he-battle-parkinsons-dementia-015920702.html

For those who remember him as both a player and coach, this is very sad to read. His coaching accomplishments are more well known, but he was a great defensive guard for the Bulls. When Sloan was paired with the late Norm Van Lier, this may have been the best defensive backcourt in league history. It certainly was the most aggressive and physical.

Re: Jerry Sloan is dying
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 12:40:16 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
A great man.

Sad that Deron Williams of all people drove him out of the Jazz. That punk is a bum.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 10:28:37 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Parkinson's is a terrible disease.  It's awful watching someone go through it.  Add dementia to that and I can't imagine what its like for him & his loved ones.    Terrible news.  Always respected Sloan. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 10:40:31 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
so sad..i seen alot of ppl who had dementia..awful
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 10:50:04 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Man that's rough.  To younger fans just think of Popovich 1.0.  Same team forever, no nonsense kind of guy who could crack a joke once in a while, great execution and gameplan.  And well before my time a great player too.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 11:16:53 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
A great man.

Sad that Deron Williams of all people drove him out of the Jazz. That punk is a bum.

An interesting read about Williams meeting with Sloan just last year and trying to apologize: https://www.nba.com/jazz/williams-sloan-put-past-where-it-belongs

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I've been watching some old games lately. I loved his Utah teams (the Deron-Boozer ones and the Malone-Stockton ones). They played such beautiful offensive basketball. Lots of screens. Lots of passing and movement. Team ball.

Those Utah teams have been one of my favourite old teams to watch. Especially in the 90s relative to other 90s teams. More teamwork. Better decision making. Efficiency. Stockton and Malone were geniuses.

I also watched a couple of his 70s Bulls games a month or two ago. Tough player. Terrific defender and rebounder. More of a worker type on offense than a skillful guy. Just played hard and got things done. Outworked people.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Utah had some great teams for sure..shame that Sloan, Stockton and Malone didnt win a title..but watching those 2 players was a thing of beauty on the court
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 01:12:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Dementia/Alzheimer's Disease is such an undignified way to go. Forgetting everything you are, everything you have done, everyone you have loved until you eventually forget how to swallow or breathe and then you pass. So sad.

Then add Parkinson's Disease. My heart goes out to Coach Sloan, his family and his support that cares for him. It isn't easy.