Poll

Are you in favor of the coach's challenge?

Yes
15 (62.5%)
No
6 (25%)
not sure
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Poll: Are you in favor of the coach's challenge?  (Read 1939 times)

Poll: Are you in favor of the coach's challenge?
« on: July 14, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
What did you think of the foul review and overturn yesterday vs. MEM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxTrW-sYKkM play starts at 1:31

Among the allowable coaching challenges starting next season: a personal foul charged to coach’s team, a called out-of-bounds violation, and goaltending and basket-interference violations.

Sources: Besides approving coach's challenge, Board of Governors approved replay center's ability -- in addition to game refs -- to trigger instant replay. Approved circumstances include whether it's a 2 or 3 point FG; and if a shot was made prior or after the shot clock expired.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1148745043521335296
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 01:12:36 PM by rondofan1255 »

Re: Poll: Are you in favor of the coach's challenge?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 12:27:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think it's long overdue.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 12:31:32 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I don't necessarily buy the argument that the Summer League broadcasters were making yesterday (that it will "slow the game down").

Only because the end of an NBA game is already the most slowed down thing in sports

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I voted yes, but yesterday's review already exposed a problem. Who gets the ball when the call is reversed. I think it was wrong for Grizzlies to get that ball because the ball  was fumbled out of bounds by Memphis.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 12:35:21 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I voted yes, but yesterday's review already exposed a problem. Who gets the ball when the call is reversed. I think it was wrong for Grizzlies to get that ball because the ball  was fumbled out of bounds by Memphis.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense. But they're still pre-testing it. They gotta fix that because if it becomes a permanent solution, the challenge is a problem lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I like the idea but let's see how well it is implemented.  It'll be interesting to see how well the different coaches use it.  Apparently the challenge signal is going to be the coach twirling their finger in the air.  That could get interesting if the coach gets to choose which finger but I'd prefer a challenge flag or similar. 

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Didn't watch the game.  What was the call and why would reversing it give the ball to Memphis if the ball was out on them? 

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 12:52:27 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Didn't watch the game.  What was the call and why would reversing it give the ball to Memphis if the ball was out on them?

It was originally a foul on the floor called against Grant Williams. After review, they determined it was not a foul. However because Memphis still was technically in possession of the basketball, they were given the ball side-out.

Essentially in that case, a successful challenge became an inadvertent whistle.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

GWilliams guarded the Grizzlies player who lost the ball out of bounds, a foul was called on GWilliams. Ball was clearly out of bounds last touched by Memphis player. GWilliams did not touch the ball or the Memphis player. The foul call on Williams was reversed, but possession was given to Memphis to inbound the ball. Weird, since they fumbled the ball out of bounds.

Solution: Give the ball to Boston since the natural end of the play was out of bounds on Memphis or jump the ball at mid-court which would mean Tacko time. lol.

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 01:09:17 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxTrW-sYKkM

C's Challenge on the possession that starts at 1:31

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 01:27:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Hell no! Stop slowing the game down.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
No!  There are 400 bad calls per game and you wanna slow the game even more by fixing one of them?

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 01:51:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

GWilliams guarded the Grizzlies player who lost the ball out of bounds, a foul was called on GWilliams. Ball was clearly out of bounds last touched by Memphis player. GWilliams did not touch the ball or the Memphis player. The foul call on Williams was reversed, but possession was given to Memphis to inbound the ball. Weird, since they fumbled the ball out of bounds.

Solution: Give the ball to Boston since the natural end of the play was out of bounds on Memphis or jump the ball at mid-court which would mean Tacko time. lol.
Looking at the video, the ball didn't go out of bounds.  The Memphis player shot the ball and it hit the backboard.  There was a Celtics player in best position to get the rebound but there was a Memphis player there too.  I think they made the correct reversal call.  Once the foul is called, the play is stopped and you can't assume what happens next isn't affected by the whistle.  Since the Memphis player had possession when the foul was called, Memphis should retain possession.  If it had been a loose ball situation, a jump ball would have been the proper call.   

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
One game is fine by me, have it cost a timeout and this is needed because NBA refs are horrible in general.

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 08:15:38 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I voted yes. I know it will slow the games down, but this is a way the league can actually keep track of the which officials need to be "re-educated." No longer will the poor quality refs be hidden. The NBA can't just ignore the horrid officiating any longer.

Who knows, after a few seasons the actual quality of officiating may improve and challenges will be used sparingly.