Author Topic: AD dropped the 'I dont care what anyone else thinks' card at Laker intro  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
In response to a question about his thoughts on the new player empowerment and player movement in the NBA. He said he had been used to people telling him what to do and where to go, and that once he got older he wanted to take control of his own career and once he made that decision he did not care what anyone else thought.

someone should really teach these player the art of PR and communication. They should be reminded that the NBA is an entertainment business. It is not all about winning championships or rings. It is first and foremost about entertainment and once you start this I dont care what anyone thinks attitude you risk alienating the fans that pay your bills.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He shouldn't care what anyone else thinks. This is ultimately his career, his livelihood and his happiness.

He didn't want to be a Celtic and that's his prerogative. Get over it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't think even AD knows what he wants. Last year, KG told him to go play with Lebron and that has obviously been his mindset ever since. I know there are differing opinions on this, but I think the Lakers look really really good and they got a great deal on the depth they picked up.

Oh well for us - let's just hope they crash and burn into oblivion.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You can tell he does not care what people think from his Unibrow!

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I think he is overrated.

And it will continue to show in LA

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He shouldn't care what anyone else thinks. This is ultimately his career, his livelihood and his happiness.

Yup

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Yeah .... he shouldnt care who pays his bills just like his cohort Kyrie the other ...I dont care what anybody thinks guy. You seem to like malcontent players.

I do not have anything to get over because I never thought AD moved the needle for the Celtics.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
I don't think even AD knows what he wants. Last year, KG told him to go play with Lebron and that has obviously been his mindset ever since. I know there are differing opinions on this, but I think the Lakers look really really good and they got a great deal on the depth they picked up.

Oh well for us - let's just hope they crash and burn into oblivion.

they will be really good with Lebron and AD. Only problem is AD is sort of injury prone and Lebron has shown last year when pushed too many minutes he can be as well. And with the way this roster is looking they are going to have to play significant minutes.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
You can tell he does not care what people think from his Unibrow!

Ha. lol TP!

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Eh, AD showed his lack of character during his whole trade request sage. Lost a lot of respect for him after that.

Overall, pretty satisfied now that we don't have to deal with the diva natures of either Kyrie or AD this year. At least the team will be fun to root for again, as the summer league team has strongly demonstrated.

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

I am typically not a big fan of the “I don’t care what anyone thinks” approach to life.  First of all, it’s generally not a true statement... but more importantly, most of the people who I really like in this world are people who do care about what others think.  Doesn’t mean you have to be “owned” by what others think, but it’s a respectable value to care IMO.

Maybe better for AD to say he struggled with the decision, considered various points of view, but ultimately went with the decision he thought was best.  Don’t need much PR training to come up with that.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I think he is overrated.

And it will continue to show in LA
The Lakers should actually be good for him.  He should be a good "Robin" to Lebron's "Batman".   

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yeah .... he shouldnt care who pays his bills just like his cohort Kyrie the other ...I dont care what anybody thinks guy. You seem to like malcontent players.

I do not have anything to get over because I never thought AD moved the needle for the Celtics.

It's not about liking malcontent players, but I'm a realist. This is a business and these players should absolutely do what's best for them as the franchises do. They are not slaves, they have thoughts, opinions, desires and ambitions.

And here's the harsh truth: his pockets aren't in jeopardy in the slightest. Actually, he's likely going to get far more endorsement opportunities in LA than he did in NOLA. AD made a shrewd business move to get to his desired destination. Sometimes, good business and public perception don't go hand in hand. Quite frankly, I doubt his public persona takes a hit at all outside of a few whiny Celtics fans because let's be honest, this thread wouldn't exist if he made these comments at a Celtics introductory press conference.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It's not about liking malcontent players, but I'm a realist. This is a business and these players should absolutely do what's best for them as the franchises do. They are not slaves, they have thoughts, opinions, desires and ambitions.

And here's the harsh truth: his pockets aren't in jeopardy in the slightest. Actually, he's likely going to get far more endorsement opportunities in LA than he did in NOLA. AD made a shrewd business move to get to his desired destination. Sometimes, good business and public perception don't go hand in hand. Quite frankly, I doubt his public persona takes a hit at all outside of a few whiny Celtics fans because let's be honest, this thread wouldn't exist if he made these comments at a Celtics introductory press conference.

Another TP coming your way in an hour

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

you are losing the narrative so you now go to the 'players are not slaves' card, which frankly is nonsense, and a whole scale indictment of Celtics  fans. I guess Celtics fans are not allowed to comment on anything AD now. Why dont you address the crux of the discussion without non sequiturs? Players should express their opinions without the 'I do not care what anyone thinks' statement.

You probably will not agree with this because your Kyrie made the statement.