Author Topic: Horford 76ers contract details  (Read 4686 times)

Re: Horford 76ers contract details
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 05:22:20 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
ESPN’s Bobby Marks:

Currently, Horford’s $26.5MM salary for that Last season is only partially guaranteed for $14.5MM. However, that guarantee jumps to $19.5MM if Philadelphia makes the NBA Finals in 2020, 2021, or 2022. It would become fully guaranteed if the 76ers win a title in one of those seasons.

https://twitter.com/jgsiegel/status/1149122090164867072

Hot take: I dislike Horford for going to the 76ers

Same. If you were mad at Ray for going to Miami, not sure how can not be mad about Horford going to Philly. See ya!

Not mad. Unlike Ray, Al took more money, probably a lot more money than we were offering. Go get your bag, Al. 

Not mad at Ray either. Go get your 2nd ring Ray, we sure weren't getting one in 12-13.

That was probably the worst season I can ever imagine, worse than the Eastern-purgatory days for the C's. Lose Rondo to an ACL injury, get eliminated by the Knicks at the TD Garden, and watch Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett take off their Celtics jerseys one last time ugh. I don't think that year was kind to Boston sports in general.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/9905733/2013-world-series-david-ortiz-boston-red-sox-named-mvp

;D

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 07:31:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Good for Al for getting paid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 08:58:25 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Same old nonsense around here.  Players don't care about rivalries.  Al went to the Sixers because they offered him the most money and they also gave him a good shot at a championship.  He'd have been stupid to do anything else.

Players/coaches may not, but fans certainly do. Smart, Brad, and Danny very well may be very happy for Al, but I don’t how someone can’t expect a fan base to be turned off by their player leaving to go to a rival.

Ray was the ultimate case because he took way less money and unsure role to get away from us.

Horford I don’t fault for taking the money, but doesn’t mean he isn’t dead to me. Appreciate his time here, but if he gets old overnight I won’t shed a tear.

TP for this response - I agree with everything here.

Fans don't have to be 'mature' when it comes to sports. Al was an important member of our team for 3 years - even more important because he was the 1st max FA who chose us in who knows how long. And just like that, he 'chooses' another franchise - one of the two franchises we all wish he wouldn't have chosen - and it's all over.

This isn't a story about him going back home to finish his career; he just took more money. I also don't understand the narrative that he has a better chance at a championship in Philly. The current Cs with Al are at least as good as the current Sixers with Al. We would have been going way above the cap to sign him so we really wouldn't have had to sacrifice anything. Him not believing in this team also feels like an underrated aspect that's not being talked about.

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 09:34:50 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
ESPN’s Bobby Marks:

Currently, Horford’s $26.5MM salary for that Last season is only partially guaranteed for $14.5MM. However, that guarantee jumps to $19.5MM if Philadelphia makes the NBA Finals in 2020, 2021, or 2022. It would become fully guaranteed if the 76ers win a title in one of those seasons.

Same. If you were mad at Ray for going to Miami, not sure how can not be mad about Horford going to Philly. See ya!
Because we weren't a championship team before Horford like, or likely if he'd stayed. We were before Ray left and would have been had he not.

This is really simple stuff.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 09:40:30 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Same old nonsense around here.  Players don't care about rivalries.  Al went to the Sixers because they offered him the most money and they also gave him a good shot at a championship.  He'd have been stupid to do anything else.

Players/coaches may not, but fans certainly do. Smart, Brad, and Danny very well may be very happy for Al, but I don’t how someone can’t expect a fan base to be turned off by their player leaving to go to a rival.

Ray was the ultimate case because he took way less money and unsure role to get away from us.

Horford I don’t fault for taking the money, but doesn’t mean he isn’t dead to me. Appreciate his time here, but if he gets old overnight I won’t shed a tear.

Fans don't have to be 'mature' when it comes to sports. Al was an important member of our team for 3 years - even more important because he was the 1st max FA who chose us in who knows how long. And just like that, he 'chooses' another franchise - one of the two franchises we all wish he wouldn't have chosen - and it's all over.

This isn't a story about him going back home to finish his career; he just took more money. I also don't understand the narrative that he has a better chance at a championship in Philly. The current Cs with Al are at least as good as the current Sixers with Al. We would have been going way above the cap to sign him so we really wouldn't have had to sacrifice anything. Him not believing in this team also feels like an underrated aspect that's not being talked about.

Understandable reasoning for sure.  I'm just not feeling a strong sense of dislike for Horford despite the fact that I was really angry about the Ray Allen move.  I'm bummed about losing Horford, but I believe there was a culmination of legitimate factors that led to his decision.

First, there must be an element of pride when it comes to the money and extra year.  A hometown discount would have been a more realistic option on a bonafide contender.  Horford understood how important he was to our team, so I really don't see his decision as being any different than leaving the Hawks.  This is obviously speculation on my part, but I have a feeling the Celtics took a hometown discount for granted in early negotiations.

We also don't know what the Celtics real priorities were at the beginning of free agency.  Did they decide to pursue Kemba as soon as they knew Irving was gone?  Or did they pivot when Horford told them he was seeking a better offer?  Either way there would have been a lot of hoops to jump through in order to keep Horford and acquire Kemba through a sign and trade.  Irving and Durant could have easily played hardball with the Nets by telling them not to negotiate with Boston.  I doubt either of them cares about draft assets at this stage of their careers.   

Finally, I don't think we can overstate the ability for Horford to transition back to PF for most of his minutes.  This is largely about maximizing his strengths during his final years as a high impact player.  We can try to argue that the Celtics with Horford are better than the current Philly roster, but Horford definitely has confidence in himself to help the Sixers reach their potential.

At the end of the day there's too many unknown factors for me to have ill will towards Horford.  Maybe this will change if/when more information is leaked.     

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 10:02:17 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
ESPN’s Bobby Marks:

For one, Horford went for the bigger payday. Allen turned down a reportedly better offer. Horford also didn't badmouth anyone on the team. Ray Allen was badmouthing his teammates just a few months ago!
^this. Absolute cobwobble about how fans should hate Horford for going to Philly if they hated Ray for leaving.

Yes. Ray burned bridges. Al didn't. Al was an absolute professional in his stay here. I have nothing but gratitude and respect for him. Ray meanwhile, had a reputation for being "classy" and "professional" but he quarreled with Rondo, got upset when Bradley started in favor of him despite us playing better with him off the bench, ignored PP and KGs phone calls and even wrote a book. What's left to like?

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 10:56:02 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

Absolutely, much better than the minimum wages he was getting in Boston.

I'm still...cross.

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 11:13:09 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

I'm still...cross.
If the team doesn't offer a player his market value and player goes elsewhere, blame the FO not the player. 

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 11:22:44 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Understandable reasoning for sure.  I'm just not feeling a strong sense of dislike for Horford despite the fact that I was really angry about the Ray Allen move.  I'm bummed about losing Horford, but I believe there was a culmination of legitimate factors that led to his decision.

First, there must be an element of pride when it comes to the money and extra year.  A hometown discount would have been a more realistic option on a bonafide contender.  Horford understood how important he was to our team, so I really don't see his decision as being any different than leaving the Hawks.  This is obviously speculation on my part, but I have a feeling the Celtics took a hometown discount for granted in early negotiations.

We also don't know what the Celtics real priorities were at the beginning of free agency.  Did they decide to pursue Kemba as soon as they knew Irving was gone?  Or did they pivot when Horford told them he was seeking a better offer?  Either way there would have been a lot of hoops to jump through in order to keep Horford and acquire Kemba through a sign and trade.  Irving and Durant could have easily played hardball with the Nets by telling them not to negotiate with Boston.  I doubt either of them cares about draft assets at this stage of their careers.   

Finally, I don't think we can overstate the ability for Horford to transition back to PF for most of his minutes.  This is largely about maximizing his strengths during his final years as a high impact player.  We can try to argue that the Celtics with Horford are better than the current Philly roster, but Horford definitely has confidence in himself to help the Sixers reach their potential.

At the end of the day there's too many unknown factors for me to have ill will towards Horford.  Maybe this will change if/when more information is leaked.     
"Hometown discount" is more nonsense.  Players sometimes take less for certain reasons (e.g. to keep/get another player that they want to play with, to be on a championship contender) but they don't give teams a "hometown discount".    In Al's case, there's no reason to think he considers Boston his hometown. 

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 12:41:13 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Finally, I don't think we can overstate the ability for Horford to transition back to PF for most of his minutes. 

The Sixer's are gambling that this is true. But, last season Brad Stevens didn't feel that Horford could play serious minutes at the PF position any longer. Horford played the majority of his minues at center and rarely played at the same time as Baynes.

If the Sixer's find, like Boston did, that Horford can't guard forwards and wings as well as he used to, they'll have paid $97Million for a backup center.

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

I'm still...cross.
If the team doesn't offer a player his market value and player goes elsewhere, blame the FO not the player.

IMHO, I personally am not blaming anyone. I just don't like Horford anymore.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2019, 12:59:21 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Finally, I don't think we can overstate the ability for Horford to transition back to PF for most of his minutes. 

The Sixer's are gambling that this is true. But, last season Brad Stevens didn't feel that Horford could play serious minutes at the PF position any longer. Horford played the majority of his minues at center and rarely played at the same time as Baynes.

If the Sixer's find, like Boston did, that Horford can't guard forwards and wings as well as he used to, they'll have paid $97Million for a backup center.
Baynes missed 31 games and only started 18 last season so of course the minutes Horford/Baynes played together was down. 

Per NBA.com, their stats together last season were:
                              Min     OffRtg       DefRtg
Horford/Baynes        163    119.0        98.5

That looks rather good to me. 

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2019, 01:00:03 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I'm still...cross.

Then you really didn't like him in the first place. 

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 01:00:29 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

I'm still...cross.

Then you really didn't like him in the first place.

Lol okay man. Continue thinking my thoughts for me.

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 02:11:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

What “nonsense” are you referring to? Outside of a small amount of posters the general sentiment here has been it sucks he went to a competitor but understand it is a crazy amount of money and don’t blame him for taking it.