Author Topic: Lebron postpones gifting #23 to AD because Nike would have lost money  (Read 3857 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
That's the excuse! Lol

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:39:12 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Lol what a loser.

Tell these two to suck it up and let Davis wear a new jersey. IDK maybe he can wear #6

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Haha! So it begins...

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Lol what a loser.

Tell these two to suck it up and let Davis wear a new jersey. IDK maybe he can wear #6
I'm not sure I understand this, Lebron was willing to give AD #23, for business reasons he will wait a bit. How does that make them losers? It's smart not to undermine one of his biggest sponsors.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
A league source confirmed to ESPN that the NBA notified the Lakers that a March 15 deadline for jersey changes had passed, but it would waive it if Nike, the league's official outfitter, complied. The company did not, as the unused inventory of No. 23 James jerseys already produced would have led to a financial hit "well into the tens of millions of dollars," a source told ESPN.

James, per the Yahoo! report, thus decided to postpone the jersey change out of what the website called consideration for fans who already purchased his No. 23 and a desire to keep the situation from becoming a distraction.

As of Friday, James had yet to file an official request to change from No. 23 to No. 6 for the 2020-21 season, a league source told McMenamin. James has until March 15, 2020, to do so.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Lol what a loser.

I'm not sure I understand this, Lebron was willing to give AD #23, for business reasons he will wait a bit. How does that make them losers? It's smart not to undermine one of his biggest sponsors.
it's a losers decision because now there will be twice as many #23 lebron jersey being worn by fans, another year of sales. So his excuse to "care about the fans who bought the jersey" makes no sense because eventually the people who bought #23 will be hating their purchase

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
A league source confirmed to ESPN that the NBA notified the Lakers that a March 15 deadline for jersey changes had passed, but it would waive it if Nike, the league's official outfitter, complied. The company did not, as the unused inventory of No. 23 James jerseys already produced would have led to a financial hit "well into the tens of millions of dollars," a source told ESPN.

James, per the Yahoo! report, thus decided to postpone the jersey change out of what the website called consideration for fans who already purchased his No. 23 and a desire to keep the situation from becoming a distraction.

As of Friday, James had yet to file an official request to change from No. 23 to No. 6 for the 2020-21 season, a league source told McMenamin. James has until March 15, 2020, to do so.

LOL...it's more like consideration for the un-purchased #23 jerseys!

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd be shocked if this becomes an issue between AD and LeBron...

I doubt that it will.

With LeBron's competitive window closing this is more likely just a small speedbump on their road to their next banner.

It is more likely that an injury (God forbid this happens to ANY on that team) happens to them than a silly jersey issue split them apart.

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Lol what a loser.

it's a losers decision because now there will be twice as many #23 lebron jersey being worn by fans, another year of sales. So his excuse to "care about the fans who bought the jersey" makes no sense because eventually the people who bought #23 will be hating their purchase
Still not a loser's decision, it's a smart business decision. I don't think fans of Lebron will hate having a #23 jersey if he switches to #6 later, as long as he plays for the team they support I don't think the fans will really be upset if he changes his number.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Once AD chooses a different number, I can’t imagine he will switch back to #23. The decision has been made - time to move forward with things that actually matter...like creating a losing environment and AD pulling a Howard and ditching next offseason.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 08:48:04 AM by jambr380 »

Re: Lebron postpones gifting #23 to AD because Nike would have lost money
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 01:43:57 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
This is interesting. Nike won’t let him do it because they will lose “tens of millions” in sales... yet who will buy his jersey this year knowing he is changing his number next season?

Sure people with a ton of disposable income (although they probably have it already) and people who have no idea may, but enough to sell hundreds of thousands of them?

This must have more to do with his sneaker design and/or clothing incorporating 23 into them.

Does anyone know if the models that released while on the Heat featured #6 (or no number at all)? I’m too lazy to look it up.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 02:24:23 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Before the trade: “I’ll give you #23.” Moment the trade happens: “Sike!!!”

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 03:09:06 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I doubt that it will.

With LeBron's competitive window closing this is more likely just a small speedbump on their road to their next banner.

It is more likely that an injury (God forbid this happens to ANY on that team) happens to them than a silly jersey issue split them apart.
What championship are you talking about?

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 06:14:47 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I doubt that it will.

What championship are you talking about?

With the adding of Boogie Cousins to that team as well as the FORMER Celtics back court of Avert Bradley AND Rajon Rondo they ARE - to me - a legit contender.

They are a bit long in the tooth - with LeBron, Rondo and Boogie but given good health I expect them to be playing in June of next year - hopefully against US.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 06:38:45 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Poor players. I’m surprised they’re not threatening to sit out and postpone the season until they get the jersey numbers they want.