Author Topic: Westbrook traded to Houston  (Read 11084 times)

Re: Westbrook traded to Houston
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2019, 10:06:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So the 2024 pick is protected 1-4. What happens if Houston ends up keeping that pick? Does it convert to a 2025 1st rounder? If it does, what happens to the 2025 pick swap? Does that disappear or get converted to a pick swap in another year? And what happens to the 2025 pick swap if Houston is in the bottom 20? Could it be that OKC never sees either Houston pick? If so that pick haul isn't as good as it appears.
Both picks are only top 4 protected.  It is mostly like that OKC will get both picks and very unlikely that they'd get neither pick.
I don't care about what is likely, I care about what the contingencies are if the protections do kick in. I also don't care what anyone thinks is likely, because I don't think anyone can declare what is likely to happen 5-7 years from now. Anything can happen and should be a part of the deal.

2024 pick is protected 1-4...what happens if the protection kicks in? Does OKC just not get the pick or does it roll over to another year.

2025 pick swap is protected 1-20. If the pick is the bottom 20 does OKC just lose that swap or does it roll over to another year? If the 2024 pick rolls to 2025 does this pick swap disappear?

2026 pick....see 2024 pick questions.

If Houston is a bottom feeding team between 2024-2026, none of these picks could convey, if there are no roll overs of picks if the protections kick in. That kinda makes the cache of picks possibly a lot less valuable than it appears.

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2019, 10:07:27 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Minnesota - Dieng, Teague, Okobo

Orlando - Fournier, Augustine, and Isaac, or Fournier and Gordon

Miami - Dragic, Leonard, and Waiters

That's all I can come up with.
Pistons - Jackson, Snell, Maker 

Lebron may well push for CP3 too but I'm not sure how they salary match without including Danny Green. 

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
This trade makes 0 sense...

Daryl Moorey is a bad GM.

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2019, 10:11:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

It does if reports of CP3 wanting out were correct.

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2019, 10:11:37 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
well better Houston that Boston I say.

Now all those Westbrook for Hayward + Brown people will need to find their next never happening trade to try and get Jaylen out of Boston.

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2019, 10:11:45 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

It makes sense if there really were irreconcilable difference between Paul and Harden

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2019, 10:11:52 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Morey is making trades like a guy with nothing to lose. No real plan other than get star names and hope it works. This one will completely blow up in his face IMO.

He has nothing to lose. Houston can't fire him, even if this situation blows up. Still, nows the chance to win. Westbrook's health alone puts them closer.

Even if he gets fired (probably won't happen), he'd still get hired somewhere else.

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2019, 10:12:47 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Minnesota - Dieng, Teague, Okobo

Orlando - Fournier, Augustine, and Isaac, or Fournier and Gordon

Miami - Dragic, Leonard, and Waiters

That's all I can come up with.
Pistons - Jackson, Snell, Maker 

Lebron may well push for CP3 too but I'm not sure how they salary match without including Danny Green.

I can't imagine Griffin would want to play with Paul again. That was one of the most miserable basketball relationships in recent memory.

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2019, 10:12:59 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

But how does it make sense for OKC?  They wanted to shed salary right?  Once PG left to the LAC it seems like OKC was going full rebuild, or at least re-tool.  How are they going to get rid of CP3 at this point in free agency?

I just dont get it.

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2019, 10:14:04 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14

It makes sense if there really were irreconcilable difference between Paul and Harden

Why would you take on a guy who's owed 206mil can't spot up and shoot and needs the ball just like your superstar Harden... Does Harden go back to being a SG? instead of the primary ball handler...

I'm confused as to how the Rockets got better one could argue they got worse.

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2019, 10:14:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
OKC got nothing out of  the Durant, Ibaka, Westbrook, Hardin...

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2019, 10:14:43 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Morey is making trades like a guy with nothing to lose. No real plan other than get star names and hope it works. This one will completely blow up in his face IMO.

He has nothing to lose. Houston can't fire him, even if this situation blows up. Still, nows the chance to win. Westbrook's health alone puts them closer.

Even if he gets fired (probably won't happen), he'd still get hired somewhere else.

Oh he’d get hired somewhere else in a minute. In the meantime he’s playing Keno with someone else’s money.

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2019, 10:15:28 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
OKC got nothing out of  the Durant, Ibaka, Westbrook, Hardin...

100% correct.  They had 3 MVP level players and one great support guy.  They should have been a contender for YEARS

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2019, 10:17:02 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
This is going to be an interesting experiment.

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2019, 10:22:27 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

But how does it make sense for OKC?  They wanted to shed salary right?  Once PG left to the LAC it seems like OKC was going full rebuild, or at least re-tool.  How are they going to get rid of CP3 at this point in free agency?

I just dont get it.
OKC shed a lot of salary for this year in the Grant trade.  I think they are only ~5M over the tax now.  They should be able to get under it easily without giving up much.   

CP3 has 3 years left on his contract.  Westbrook has 4 years left on his.  So they've already saved 47M in the 2022/23 season.  They should be able to flip CP3 to some other team.  If not now, then in the next offseason.