Author Topic: Woj- Wall has very few teams interested in trading for him  (Read 6328 times)

Re: Woj- Wall has very few teams interested in trading for him
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2018, 01:35:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This is 1000% misinformation from a team (or teams) trying to drive the asking price for Wall down. 

Wall instantly makes any team a playoff team.  If you think paying Gordon Hayward and Marcus Smart a combined 40 million a year is better than paying John Wall 40 million a year God help you.

Except the Wizards. He doesn't make them a playoff team.

They... made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years...

But we are talking about this year and you cannot deny that Wall has definitely lost a step.

He currently has the highest effective fg% he's ever had in his career and is averaging 8 assists  two steals and 1 block per game...

He's putting up numbers, but that doesn't mean he makes any team instantly a playoff team, as the team he is on is not currently a playoff team.

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 01:48:03 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Yeah my Irving wall thread is donezo LOL

No one giving up assets and taking him on

On paper yeah probably not but counterpoint: the Suns still exist.

Speaking of which... I wonder if they would be interested. Would Anderson and Jackson for Wall and filler make sense? That would be a pretty dynamic backcourt for the Suns, and Washington saves a ton of money and gets the #4 pick in Jackson.

Then they can move either Porter or Beal for another shorter contract and some picks.
Can't imagine they could get an asset like Jackson with Walls contract, they are more likely to have to add talent to get rid of him than being able to take top end talent back.

He’s pretty much fallen out of the rotation and Anderson has a terrible contract (albeit shorter) himself. Wall is a perennial all-star in his prime, even if he is overpaid.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 01:57:46 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
This is 1000% misinformation from a team (or teams) trying to drive the asking price for Wall down. 

Wall instantly makes any team a playoff team.  If you think paying Gordon Hayward and Marcus Smart a combined 40 million a year is better than paying John Wall 40 million a year God help you.

But we are talking about this year and you cannot deny that Wall has definitely lost a step.

He currently has the highest effective fg% he's ever had in his career and is averaging 8 assists  two steals and 1 block per game...
'
Those 8 assists has been the lowest he's ever averaged in a long time and just because you have a high amount of steals and blocks in a game, doesn't make you a good defender. Wall often doesn't fight through screens and has lapses where he loses his man on defense.

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Last year they wouldn't have without Wall missing 41 games and the rest of the team rallying without him to barely make the 8th seed in the East.

They are not a playoff team so far this year.

John Wall is a slightly better Eric Bledsoe. Tantalizing talent with a bad attitude and poor effort. He is a good point guard, but I'd take Harden, Paul, Westbrook, Curry, Lillard, and Irving over him for sure. I might take Conley, Holliday, and Walker over him also.
They were 23-18 in Wall's 41 games and 18-23 without Wall.  They year before they were 48-30 with Wall and 1-3 without him.  They shut Wall down once they were eliminated from the playoffs the year before that at 37-40, but did win 3 of those last 4 games to end up at .500, but the year prior to that they were 45-34 with Wall and 1-2 without him.  He played all 82 games in 13-14 when they went 44-38.  In 12-13, Wall didn't play the first half of the season when Washington was 5-28, they were 24-25 with Wall.  Wall's 2nd year they were 20-46 (he played every game) and his rookie year they were 4-9 without Wall and 19-50 with him. 

So basically the Wizards have been a much better team with Wall then without him from his 3rd year on.  And it is a pretty significant difference.  This notion that Wall doesn't help his team win just isn't born out in the actual W/L results of his team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 05:10:51 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Wall is 3-25 from 3 in his last 6 games.  Not sure what is going on but I think he has always been an impact player.  He has made Washington a playoff team for the most of the last 5 years or so.  Yes, so far this year it is not the case but the Celtics with Irving are barely a playoff team.

The issue with Wall is his contract and the concern that he may fall off like Derrick Rose.  I don't know what the deal is regarding his health but I think he is a good player.

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
maybe over rated by most

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2018, 06:26:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
36 points, 11 assists in the OT victory over the Rockets.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2018, 06:56:18 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Good player yes, bad contract yes. I wouldn't want him on my team with that contract, would you?

There are 14 PGs in the east playing at least 24 minutes a game that shoot a higher TS% than he does. He is 6th in PER among PGs in the east 13th overall among PGs. He is not in the top 50 for PER for all players.  I know this doesn't cover everything but his athletic ability will only go down and if you trade for him you are paying a 32 year old Wall over $54 million with his trade kicker.

I think he is somewhere between the 5th-10th best PG in the game, probabaly latter half, but I don't think you can pay that quality of player that big of a contract and compete so I wouldn't offer any assets for him.

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Good player yes, bad contract yes. I wouldn't want him on my team with that contract, would you?

There are 14 PGs in the east playing at least 24 minutes a game that shoot a higher TS% than he does. He is 6th in PER among PGs in the east 13th overall among PGs. He is not in the top 50 for PER for all players.  I know this doesn't cover everything but his athletic ability will only go down and if you trade for him you are paying a 32 year old Wall over $54 million with his trade kicker.

I think he is somewhere between the 5th-10th best PG in the game, probabaly latter half, but I don't think you can pay that quality of player that big of a contract and compete so I wouldn't offer any assets for him.
If I had to win a playoff series I'd rather go with these PG's;
For this exercise presume all are healthy.

Chris Paul
Dame Lillard
Kemba Walker
Kyrie Irving
Steph Curry
Kyle Lowry
Mike Conely
Jrue Holiday
Russell Westbrook - If I'm in a good mood (I am now)

However his career continues, I will always remember him by this moment;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLe0bYabMfo
It felt like something significant happened to him there. A new cognition.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:04:07 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2018, 08:02:28 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

If I had to win a playoff series I'd rather go with these PG's;
For this exercise presume all are healthy.

Chris Paul
Dame Lillard
Kemba Walker
Kyrie Irving
Steph Curry
Kyle Lowry
Mike Conely
Jrue Holiday
Russell Westbrook - If I in a good mood (I am now)

However his career continues, I will always remember him by this moment;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLe0bYabMfo
It felt like something significant happened to him there. A new cognition.

TP for the casual use of "cognition."

And I agree with the list despite my hate for KI. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC