Author Topic: What does Portland do this summer?  (Read 3210 times)

Re: What does Portland do this summer?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2023, 10:36:56 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I think it’s clearly trade Dame and rebuild, as I’m not sure you can really make that a contender.

But I guess it depends upon what stars you can reasonably get right now. Is KAT worth the third pick? Don’t think that gets them there? Randle? No.

The only one I think you do it for is offering the pick and either Sharpe/Simons as the centerpiece of an Embiid trade if that’s the way they go. But I don’t think we’ll get clarity around that until free agency with the Harden decision.

I’d be shocked if Embiid is traded this summer. Has the reigning MVP ever been traded in NBA history?

Would you trade Embiid for the first pick in this draft? I would.

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2023, 10:37:33 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I was just looking at this. I think the Pelicans make a ton of sense here. They could send Ingram and a bunch of picks.

Lillard-McCullom-Murphy-Williamson-Valancunas would instantly be a favorite in the West. Obviously there is risk with Williamson, but even without him that team is essentially as good as the old Lillard-McCullom Portland days.

Portland rebuilds around Simons-Sharpe-Ingram-#3. They could resign Grant too (although I don't love the fit with Ingram).

That is a good trade but what's the salary match?

I think Ingram for Lillard works straight up, but if they needed to add someone, they could do it any number of ways with Temple, Hernangomez, Marshall, or even Daniels. If they were in agreement on the bones, I wouldn't let any of those pieces keep the deal from getting done.

The Pelicans could trade as many picks as the the biggest trade in NBA history and still have plenty of firsts moving forward.

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 10:43:44 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I think it’s clearly trade Dame and rebuild, as I’m not sure you can really make that a contender.

But I guess it depends upon what stars you can reasonably get right now. Is KAT worth the third pick? Don’t think that gets them there? Randle? No.

The only one I think you do it for is offering the pick and either Sharpe/Simons as the centerpiece of an Embiid trade if that’s the way they go. But I don’t think we’ll get clarity around that until free agency with the Harden decision.

I’d be shocked if Embiid is traded this summer. Has the reigning MVP ever been traded in NBA history?

I would not. I love Wemby as a prospect, but its essentially like trading $100 for the potential of $120 in 5 years. Unless there was internal pressure to go into full rebuild in Philly (something I don't think is happening), you stick with the guy you have.

The hysteria around Wemby is getting a bit extreme. He truly is one of the top prospects ever in the draft, but the idea of trading that for the sitting MVP is a bit much.

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2023, 11:00:17 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I would not. I love Wemby as a prospect, but its essentially like trading $100 for the potential of $120 in 5 years. Unless there was internal pressure to go into full rebuild in Philly (something I don't think is happening), you stick with the guy you have.

The hysteria around Wemby is getting a bit extreme. He truly is one of the top prospects ever in the draft, but the idea of trading that for the sitting MVP is a bit much.

I don't think you can win in today's NBA with Embiid as your best player. He's too easy to deal with in the playoffs, especially at the end of games. I'm not sure the Spurs do it.

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 11:02:04 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I was just looking at this. I think the Pelicans make a ton of sense here. They could send Ingram and a bunch of picks.

Lillard-McCullom-Murphy-Williamson-Valancunas would instantly be a favorite in the West. Obviously there is risk with Williamson, but even without him that team is essentially as good as the old Lillard-McCullom Portland days.

Portland rebuilds around Simons-Sharpe-Ingram-#3. They could resign Grant too (although I don't love the fit with Ingram).

That is a good trade but what's the salary match?

I think Ingram for Lillard works straight up, but if they needed to add someone, they could do it any number of ways with Temple, Hernangomez, Marshall, or even Daniels. If they were in agreement on the bones, I wouldn't let any of those pieces keep the deal from getting done.

The Pelicans could trade as many picks as the the biggest trade in NBA history and still have plenty of firsts moving forward.

Ingram and Hayes works. I don't think you want all that salary matching junk if you're trading the best player in a deal.

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 11:32:21 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

I don't think you can win in today's NBA with Embiid as your best player. He's too easy to deal with in the playoffs, especially at the end of games. I'm not sure the Spurs do it.

The question is will Wemby be any different? He definitely seems more mobile than Embiid, but I think that’s a big question.

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2023, 11:38:49 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

The question is will Wemby be any different? He definitely seems more mobile than Embiid, but I think that’s a big question.

He's more Durant than Embiid.

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2023, 11:42:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The hyperbole Woj was throwing out last night is that within three years, VW could be both the best offensive player in the NBA and the best defensive player, as well.

People have this guy hyped like he's got the offensive skills of Durant with the defensive skills of Olajuwon. 

To live up to expectations this kid is going to have to win like 7 MVPs and at least 6 championships.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2023, 11:49:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Rival executives are closely monitoring Portland, believing that this pick is potential trade bait if the Blazers try to improve the roster and compete with Damian Lillard entering the end of his prime years. As one agent told HoopsHype following the draft lottery, “If Portland puts Lillard on the market, the entire NBA is going to stop until he’s traded.” – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype

If Portland keeps the picks, the Blazers would select Scoot Henderson and make him either the point guard of the future or play him alongside Lillard at times. “If Scoot Henderson did what he did against Victor Wembanyama in October at a later date closer to the draft, Brandon Miller wouldn’t even be in the conversation for the No. 2 pick,” an NBA executive told HoopsHype. “People forget about that.” – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype

The Blazers moving up from No. 5 to No. 3 raised eyebrows all over the league right away. The Blazers could of course keep that pick, but rival executives expect them to explore the kind of veteran help that pick — plus other players — might fetch for Damian Lillard. (Executives also expect the Blazers to re-sign Jerami Grant.) The No. 3 pick by itself won’t net a game-changing veteran. What might the combination of that pick and Anfernee Simons get Portland? If they do try to load up around Lillard — which requires Lillard indicating he’d like to stay in Portland — expect the Blazers to go after wings and big men, sources said. Portland also has Shaedon Sharpe, but his strong finish to the season would make the Blazers even queasier about including him in any kind of win-now trade. – via Zach Lowe @ ESPN

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2023, 12:18:38 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

The hyperbole Woj was throwing out last night is that within three years, VW could be both the best offensive player in the NBA and the best defensive player, as well.

People have this guy hyped like he's got the offensive skills of Durant with the defensive skills of Olajuwon. 

To live up to expectations this kid is going to have to win like 7 MVPs and at least 6 championships.

A good reminder that people probably shouldn't presume Woj's opinions on basketball have any significant merit.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2023, 12:55:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I would trade Embiid for Wemby but I wouldn't trade Wemby for Embiid. Embiid is already 29yo and has a long history of injuries. There are a few players I wouldn't trade to get Wemby. Doncic for example. But Embiid? That is an easy call. Trade his butt.

Edit: I wouldn't trade Tatum for Wemby either. Or Jokic. Not sure if there is anyone else. Wemby might be #4 in the entire league in terms of trade value (at least in my eyes). Is there anyone I am forgetting?

Giannis 28yo. 29 early next season. I'd probably trade Giannis for Wemby but I am not sure.

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2023, 12:57:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Moses MVP in 1982 traded to Philly.
Wilt MVP in 1968 traded to LAL.

However, both occassions had the player forcing the trade.

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2023, 01:01:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

A good reminder that people probably shouldn't presume Woj's opinions on basketball have any significant merit.

He cited "league executives" for that take, I think, but yeah.

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2023, 01:07:47 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

He cited "league executives" for that take, I think, but yeah.

The same league exec who said that analytically the Sixers won Game 6 by 20?  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2023, 01:36:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I see interesting trade idea of Scoot to Toronto for Siakam if Scoot falls to #3. Gives TOR a young star to build around. POR gets a veteran All-Star type talent to add to Lillard.

G: Lillard
G: A Simons
F: J Grant
F: Siakam
C: Nurkic

That is an interesting team. Two strong forwards with two talented guards.

G: Scoot Henderson
G: Trent Jr
F: S Barnes
F: Anunoby
C: Poeltl

Use VanVleet as trade fodder to pickup a strong player somewhere. Maybe a starting SG. Clears the way at forward for Scottie Barnes. A duo of Scottie Barnes and Scoot Henderson to build around for the next 10-12 years. That is an apetizing duo.