Author Topic: What does Portland do this summer?  (Read 3211 times)

What does Portland do this summer?
« on: May 17, 2023, 09:00:56 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Portland didn't get Wemby, but they did land the #3 pick.  Lillard is getting older but clearly loves Portland.  So if you were running the Blazers what do you do?

1. Trade Lillard and rebuild completely around 3, Simons, Sharpe, what they get for Dame
2. Trade #3 for a 2nd star and try to win with Lillard
3. Nothing major, just draft bpa at 3 and see what happens

Edited to change from 2 to 3 for pick. Had it wrong, but premise is same.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 10:50:40 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: What does Portland do this summer?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 09:02:45 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Portland should go with choice 1 and draft Scoot.  My gut says they go with Choice 3.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 09:06:38 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
They did? I’m seeing Portland picking at #3. Hornets at #2. I think they should draft Scoot Henderson and trade Dame. If I’m Miami, I’d go all in to pair Lillard with Butler and Bam.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 09:19:00 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 09:10:45 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
They did? I’m seeing Portland picking at #3. Rockets at #2.

It’s actually Hornets at 2, Blazers at 3, Rockets at 4.  Portland should still keep the pick.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 09:19:48 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
They did? I’m seeing Portland picking at #3. Rockets at #2.

It’s actually Hornets at 2, Blazers at 3, Rockets at 4.  Portland should still keep the pick.

Yes, Hornets at 2. Need some more caffeine.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 09:20:58 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
They did? I’m seeing Portland picking at #3. Rockets at #2. I think they should draft Scoot Henderson and trade Dame. If I’m Miami, I’d go all in to pair Lillard with Butler and Bam.
Not sure Miami would be able to put together any real compensation for Dame. Herro alone ain’t getting it done.

How about Dame  for Tobias Harris, Maxey, and picks.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 09:38:51 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
They did? I’m seeing Portland picking at #3. Rockets at #2. I think they should draft Scoot Henderson and trade Dame. If I’m Miami, I’d go all in to pair Lillard with Butler and Bam.
Not sure Miami would be able to put together any real compensation for Dame. Herro alone ain’t getting it done.

How about Dame  for Tobias Harris, Maxey, and picks.

Harris is just an expiring at this point, he wouldn’t be part of their future. Just like if the Heat did Lowry, Herro, Picks. So it would come down to who would Portland prefer, Herro or Maxey.

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 09:46:34 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
The Clippers have the assets to trade for Dame and would have a good chance in postseason With Kawhi, George, and Dame. 

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 10:08:21 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I think it’s clearly trade Dame and rebuild, as I’m not sure you can really make that a contender.

But I guess it depends upon what stars you can reasonably get right now. Is KAT worth the third pick? Don’t think that gets them there? Randle? No.

The only one I think you do it for is offering the pick and either Sharpe/Simons as the centerpiece of an Embiid trade if that’s the way they go. But I don’t think we’ll get clarity around that until free agency with the Harden decision.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 10:11:05 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
The Clippers have the assets to trade for Dame and would have a good chance in postseason With Kawhi, George, and Dame.

Other than picks, I don’t think they have any assets that the Blazers would want.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 10:17:35 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 10:18:43 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I was just looking at this. I think the Pelicans make a ton of sense here. They could send Ingram and a bunch of picks.

Lillard-McCullom-Murphy-Williamson-Valancunas would instantly be a favorite in the West. Obviously there is risk with Williamson, but even without him that team is essentially as good as the old Lillard-McCullom Portland days.

Portland rebuilds around Simons-Sharpe-Ingram-#3. They could resign Grant too (although I don't love the fit with Ingram).

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2023, 10:31:25 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Other than picks, I don’t think they have any assets that the Blazers would want.

They have some good young guards but looking at it now I can't see how they include enough salary... 45 million is going to be hard to match.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 10:33:49 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I was just looking at this. I think the Pelicans make a ton of sense here. They could send Ingram and a bunch of picks.

Lillard-McCullom-Murphy-Williamson-Valancunas would instantly be a favorite in the West. Obviously there is risk with Williamson, but even without him that team is essentially as good as the old Lillard-McCullom Portland days.

Portland rebuilds around Simons-Sharpe-Ingram-#3. They could resign Grant too (although I don't love the fit with Ingram).

That is a good trade but what's the salary match? Maybe trade Zion. That would be a massive gamble for Portland but he's still young... Zion and Hayes and picks to Portland for Dame works in trade machine.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 10:34:39 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
I think it’s clearly trade Dame and rebuild, as I’m not sure you can really make that a contender.

But I guess it depends upon what stars you can reasonably get right now. Is KAT worth the third pick? Don’t think that gets them there? Randle? No.

The only one I think you do it for is offering the pick and either Sharpe/Simons as the centerpiece of an Embiid trade if that’s the way they go. But I don’t think we’ll get clarity around that until free agency with the Harden decision.

I’d be shocked if Embiid is traded this summer. Has the reigning MVP ever been traded in NBA history?

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 10:36:33 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

Contender yes, favorite no.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger