Author Topic: in defense of KO  (Read 11348 times)

Re: in defense of KO
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Jump Hooks are harder to block and a straight hook shot is even harder.  But I think it is the shot of choice against someone bigger than you.  Both shots impose your body between your shot and your man.  You do have to worry about being stripped by help some from the help side but it helps immensely in the post.
I was trying to make two points:

A - making a comparison between your rec league and the nba is ridiculous (referring to Chris22, not you)

B - When you are playing against people who work about as hard as you and have better bodies than you in terms of strenth AND size AND athleticism, they're going to prevent you from getting your shots.

I think in particular any shot that requires you to be in the low post is not going to work for Olynyk because he can't establish position.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
double post
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Jump Hooks are harder to block and a straight hook shot is even harder.  But I think it is the shot of choice against someone bigger than you.  Both shots impose your body between your shot and your man.  You do have to worry about being stripped by help some from the help side but it helps immensely in the post.
I was trying to make two points:

A - making a comparison between your rec league and the nba is ridiculous (referring to Chris22, not you)

B - When you are playing against people who work about as hard as you and have better bodies than you in terms of strenth AND size AND athleticism, they're going to prevent you from getting your shots.

I think in particular any shot that requires you to be in the low post is not going to work for Olynyk because he can't establish position.

Point B couldn't be more wrong.  Post play isn't about the most athletic or being the tallest or having the most reach.  If it were, Cousins and ZBo couldn't play in this league. 

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Olynyk needs a hook shot to punish smaller defenders when opposing teams stick a 6-8 / 6-9 guy on him. Especially those skinny combo forward types. Guys who can defend Olynyk very well out on the perimeter and due to their superior quickness deny Olynyk's dribble drive capabilities.

Olynyk needs a go-to move in the low post to be able to attack those types of defenders effectively. To get them off of him. For now, the only times I really want to see Olynyk in the post is when they stick a little one on him.

Against guys of similar height who usually have superior strength, Olynyk's advantage is out on the perimeter where he can create mismatches with his shooting, passing and ball-handling. I don't see him having much value in the post against those players.

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2015, 01:19:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I love how he spilled the beans on Dougie Hamilton's injury. Chiarelli must be livid.  ;D ;D ;D

Also, that's the blackest black eye I've seen in my life.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2015, 01:23:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yesterday was probably one of his best game this season.   He was decisive, aggressive and jump shot form looked perfect.

Like also how he utilized his adv of being able to run better than his man to get easy layups, also a nice end to end court pass to JCrowder

Not many big guys can do either of these things

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2015, 01:24:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I love how he spilled the beans on Dougie Hamilton's injury. Chiarelli must be livid.  ;D ;D ;D

Also, that's the blackest black eye I've seen in my life.

Imo not really KOs fault. Hamilton should of instructed him during their exchange not to say anything. And he didn't

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2015, 01:40:18 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
Olynyk needs a hook shot to punish smaller defenders when opposing teams stick a 6-8 / 6-9 guy on him. Especially those skinny combo forward types. Guys who can defend Olynyk very well out on the perimeter and due to their superior quickness deny Olynyk's dribble drive capabilities.

Olynyk needs a go-to move in the low post to be able to attack those types of defenders effectively. To get them off of him. For now, the only times I really want to see Olynyk in the post is when they stick a little one on him.

Against guys of similar height who usually have superior strength, Olynyk's advantage is out on the perimeter where he can create mismatches with his shooting, passing and ball-handling. I don't see him having much value in the post against those players.
When Olynyk plays against smaller guys, he still can't get to his spots. I don't want him shooting hook shots from 10 feet, personally.

Point B couldn't be more wrong.  Post play isn't about the most athletic or being the tallest or having the most reach.  If it were, Cousins and ZBo couldn't play in this league.
Cousins is a terrible example - his only asset is that he's bigger than everyone else and is very athletic.

On ZBo - he can muscle other guys at his position and get to his spots, and he has a very long wingspan. He is an extremely intelligent and fundamentally sound player who knows how to use his talent advantages on people. A different sort of player who can still get to where he needs to get is Paul Millsap who is undersized but uses his superior quickness. You need to have the talent and know how to use it. Olynyk gets outmuscled and out quicked by everyone, and on top of it is a poor position player who doesn't make the other guy work against him.
I'm forum!

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2015, 02:24:46 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
go back and look at ko earlier in season like philly game got 30 and slew of 20 point games and watch how he was running and shooting and then compare that to his stumbling after first coming back-it was easy to forget his strengths but he moved better last night-i think he played for the cameras and press-he had no fear of it getting hit-mug it up for the cameras with his boys on the sidelines,he was a tough guy for a nite  and none of that hair crap--

« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2015, 03:45:45 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
The key is getting his 3pt shot to fall with enough consistency that the opposing team has to close him out. The over under on that is around 36% which is equivalent to 50% from the paint. If he can hit 36% opponents must send their big guys out to guards him, where he can easily blow past them (KO has great handles from playing guard before his growth spurt), or assign smaller guys who he can shoot over or take down on the block.

If you look as his shooting this year, he is a 34% which isn't quite there BUT - his home 3pt % is a smidgen over 40% while on the road he is at 28%. That tells me one thing - confidence is a key parameter. Once he gets back in his groove and knows where he stands in the rotation - I expect him to hit 36%-38% from 3pt range for his career which would make him a decent starter or a very good bench guy.