Author Topic: Forced to Root for Playoffs  (Read 3656 times)

Re: Forced to Root for Playoffs
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Almost every mock draft I've seen has Oubre falling to 15. So if we can make the playoffs AND nab Oubre in the process, I'm not sure how one can complain. He would give us three REALLY good prospects at the 1, 2, and 3 (Smart, Young, Oubre), and Oubre has the potential to be VERY good if he reaches his ceiling.

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Yes I know that having a higher pick will help the rebuild long term...

Obviously, it's better to have a higher pick than a lower pick.  Still, I'm reminded of the 2004 season, when we made the playoffs.  A lot of fans were openly rooting for losses, hoping we'd miss the post-season.

What happened?  We ended up with Al Jefferson.  If we had picked earlier, we might have gotten Robert Swift or Luke Jackson (both guys Danny purportedly liked).  Sometimes, things just work out.

I also think a big part of whether a player succeeds is the situation in which they come into. It might be that coming into a team with good coaching where everyone plays hard is more conducive to developing talent than a team tanking.

I'm a big draft guy so I want to have a high pick, but I think the playoff experience and the implementing of a foundation of style of play and effort almost makes up for picking later.

Our biggest asset right now might be Brad Stevens, a fear he might go back to college is a good enough reason for me to be against tanking this season.

Truth!

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 04:21:27 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The luster of making the playoffs for us is to showcase all the assets we got.  And that is huge in landing a superstar.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 04:46:36 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I am just kind of rooting for our young players to play well at this point.   If we win or lose it really doesn't matter, as there are advantages to each.  We're in some weird limbo right now

This^ is accurate, Too good to be real bad, and too bad to be real good!

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
You poor baby!!! (pure sarcasm)

you are aware that there is no other way of winning a championship than making the playoffs, right???

You are aware that there is ZERO percent chance we win the championship this year, right???

Some of our homers really bother me. I want to win the title as much as anyone, but I'm realistic. Even if we win a series in the playoffs (unlikely but possible), we won't beat the Cavs, we won't win the title. Let's get real.
Is the only way for you to enjoy Celtics basketball for them to win a title? I find enjoyment in lots of season the C's don't win a title and none out of seasons they tank, if that makes me a homer so be it.

Yes I know that having a higher pick will help the rebuild long term, but right now the team is winning and it is fun. I watch basketball because it is fun. If that makes me a homer then so be it.
I enjoy going to the games and I would prefer we have the opportunity to draft better players. It would make the games more enjoyable. I agree with you that we shouldn't set the expectation for championship or bust. We'll leave that for the Patriots. But a better product to root for would be nice. I pay a decent amount for good seats about 4-5 times a year and I don't feel it's unreasonable to root against the Celtics so I can eventually watch better players.

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 05:05:55 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think there's decent parity between about 9 and 14 on DX's rankings, (and DX's top 14 are unlikely to be picked exactly top 14). Those guys are: Johnson, Kaminsky, Poetl, Turner, Oubre, Dunn. I'd be fairly happy with any of them, although Dunn is a PG which isn't really ideal.
 The main attraction of picking higher is that someone like Porzingis, Mario, WCS or even Winslow might drop into our lap, but that's probably worse than 50/50.

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 05:18:37 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
It is probably easier fighting for a playoff spot then trying to get a top 5 pick.
We have some serious tankers this year.

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
It is probably easier fighting for a playoff spot then trying to get a top 5 pick.
We have some serious tankers this year.

yea it seems like Brad Stevens coaching a ymca team would still end up with 20 wins and we would be 5th behind philly, Minnesota, new York and lakers. Obviously we would have a chance of jumping up, but that seems like Charlie brown and lucy with the football at this point.

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 02:01:14 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Brooklyn seems to be solidifying themselves in the 7 spot, and despite Wade's awful-looking injury tonight (only reported to be a bruised left knee), Miami looks to be in the lead for the 8 spot. Both are currently up on us and have easier remaining schedules.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 07:50:39 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
You poor baby!!! (pure sarcasm)

you are aware that there is no other way of winning a championship than making the playoffs, right???

You are aware that there is ZERO percent chance we win the championship this year, right???

Some of our homers really bother me. I want to win the title as much as anyone, but I'm realistic. Even if we win a series in the playoffs (unlikely but possible), we won't beat the Cavs, we won't win the title. Let's get real.

You are the one that has to get real. I am a Celtics fan. anytime, no matter who they are playing, I believe the Celtics can win that game. I root for them to win the whole game and if and when I see it is impossible to win I am still looking for positive things our guys are doing.
at this point in this team's development it is 10 times better for them to play even one round in the playoffs than sitting home watching ping pong balls.