Author Topic: First Round Game 1: Atlanta Hawks at Boston Celtics, 4/20/08 (8:30pm, TNT)  (Read 59131 times)

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This is what we've all been waiting for.  Post all thoughts about Game 1 of the Hawks / Celtics playoff series here.

I'm sure either CelticBalla32 or FLCeltsFan will be along shortly to create a proper game thread.  (Remember to thank them for their efforts!)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at   

Atlanta Hawks at Boston Celtics
Post Season Game #1, Home Game #1
Series tied at (0-0)
Sunday, 4/20
8:30 PM
TNT, CSN HD
TD Banknorth Garden (aka The Jungle)

Probable Starters
PG: Rajon  Rondo PPG 10.6 RPG 4.20 APG 5.1 EFF + 14.21
SG: Ray Allen PPG 17.4 RPG 3.70 APG 3.1 EFF + 15.77
  SF:  Paul Pierce  PPG 19.6 RPG 5.10 APG 4.5 EFF + 19.94 
  PF:  Kevin Garnett   PPG 18.8 RPG 9.20 APG 3.4 EFF + 24.85
  C:  Kendrick Perkins   PPG 6.9 RPG 6.10 APG 1.1 EFF + 11.76 

Off the Bench: 
James Posey, Leon Powe, Eddie House, Big Baby Davis, PJ Brown, Tony Allen, Sam Cassell, Brian Scalabrine, Gabe Pruitt

Injuries
Scot Pollard, ankle, out

Probable Starters
PG: Mike Bibby PPG 13.9 RPG 3.30 APG 6.0 EFF + 14.15   
   SG:  Joe Johnson   PPG 21.7 RPG 4.50 APG 5.8 EFF + 19.34
    SF:  Marvin Williams  PPG 14.8 RPG 5.70 APG 1.7 EFF + 14.99
    PF:  Josh Smith   PPG 17.2 RPG 8.20 APG 3.4 EFF + 20.83
    C:  Al Horford  PPG 10.1 RPG 9.70 APG 1.5 EFF + 16.51

Off the Bench:
Josh Childress, Zaza Pachulia, Salim Stoudamire, Mario West, Jeremy Richardson, Solomon Jones, Acie Law

Injuries
Speedy Claxton, knee, out

Key Matchups
vs
This is going to be a very important matchup in this series.  Bibby has been in over 50 playoff games vs 0 playoff games for Rondo.   Neither has a size advantage but Rondo had a significant speed advantage.  Bibby has the experience advantage.  It will be up to Rondo to defend Bibby and keep him from getting the Hawks into their sets as long as possible. 

vs 
KG has the height advantage and the experience advantage but Josh Smith is quicker  and younger and very athletic.  Smith always plays well against the Celtics and KG will have to figure a way to slow him down while making him work on the defensive end as well. 

Honorable Mention
Ray Allen   vs   Joe Johnson
Joe Johnson is younger and quicker than Ray Allen and has a height advantage. JJ is a good defender and so Ray will have to work to get his shots in this game.  This is a tough matchup for the Celtics.  Ray will also have to work on the defensive end to keep Johnson from going off offensively.   

Keys to the Game
Be Aggressive  The Celtics need to be the aggressor, taking the ball to the hoop, hustling for loose balls, and crashing the boards.  They need to come out strong and play aggressively all game.  The Celtics need to set the tone for the series right from the beginning and not allow the Hawks to get any thoughts of being able to compete with the Celtics in this series. 

Defense   Defense becomes even more important in the playoffs.  The Celtics need to come out right from the beginning with swarming defense both inside and out.  They have to guard the perimeter as the Hawks have good 3 point shooters and they also have to guard against the penetration. 

Limit Turnovers  The Celtics have turned the ball over too much in the regular season and this could be their Achilles heel if they don't find a way to take better care of the ball.

Ball Movement  The Celtics are at their best when they move the ball and find the open man.  If they  try to do too much individually, their offense stalls.   

Game Notes:
  The Celtics and Hawks have many ties through the years.  Doc Rivers played in Atlanta for 8 years.   Celtics assistant Armand Hill also played for the Hawks and was an assistant coach for the Hawks as well.  Red Auerbach was the second head coach in Hawks franchise history as he coached the Tri  Cities Blackhawks in 1949-50. 

The Celtics won the season series 3-0 from the Hawks but that really doesn't mean anything.  The last Hawks appearance in the playoffs in 1998-99 ended in a sweep by the NY Knicks, who they had swept in the regular season.  The Celtics can't take this team for granted and need to bring their A game against them.   

X-Factor
Defense  Whichever team plays the best defense and gets the stops will win the game. 

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Just bring on those dirty, stinky Pistons. This wait's driving me crazy.

Leon Powe will lead this series for the C's in scoring.

I hope.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
This will be a great series; For the Celtics to sharpen their skills into a cohesive team with focus and execution, showcasing they are on a championship mission.  8)

I did read somewhere one analyst thinking this series could go 5 games... Might as well have come from Jon Stewart, though  ;D

"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
i hope we dont sweep em....playoffs get tougher not easier...we need a kick in the butt before it's too late..sweep this team go to the next round thinkin we the bomb than lose like fools...

i dont want it to be easy...lets see if need be we can grind it out...

Offline RedsCeltics34

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 45
  • Lets Go Celtics!
Lets Go Celtics!

I'll be at game 2.

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Lets Go Celtics!

I'll be at game 2.

Oh, for real? You're lucky. I can't even afford tickets in the regular season.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Lets Go Celtics!

I'll be at game 2.

i will be at game 1, as well as game 2.  i cant wait!

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
It's truly a shame that we have to beat Atlanta 4 times to prove we belong in the second round.

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'll be at all the games ... allbeit via digital cable, (a small tear glistens in the corner of his eye ... was that a sniffle?) Guys, please give a yell for all of us who can't get there ... we'll be with you in spirit!

Go Celtics!!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Lets Go Celtics!

I'll be at game 2.

i will be at game 1, as well as game 2.  i cant wait!
Nosebleed seats for Game 1.  I'm getting butterflies in the stomach.

Yup

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
From Peter May's article this morning, talking about the `86 Celts vs Hawks series.  I was at this game and I've never seen anything quite as dominant in the NBA.

What stands out from that series is the third quarter of the clinching Game 5. Ainge said he still watches it on tape every now and then and called the performance "the way basketball is supposed to be played."

The Celtics led, 66-55, at the half - ah, the good old days - and then proceeded to outscore Atlanta, 36-6, in the third quarter, including a 24-0 run over the final 5:17. There was one sequence in which a frustrated Rollins threw an inbounds pass at Ainge, who caught it, made a layup, then got the ball and gave it back to Rollins, who was still standing out of bounds. Final score: 132-99. End of series.

Would love to see an encore performance 22 years later. 
Yup

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'll be amazed and astounded if the Celtics don't sweep

I'll be amazed and astounded if the Celtics don't win every game by double figures

Atlanta can't win if they play their game

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Congrats to everyone who can attend at the Garden.  The place should be rocking and there will be an incredible atmosphere.  Looking forward to first hand reports from you.  I am so excited about these playoffs I can hardly stand it.  I will be watching every minute of every game at least a couple of times from home and savoring every moment. 

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I'll be at all the games ... allbeit via digital cable, (a small tear glistens in the corner of his eye ... was that a sniffle?) Guys, please give a yell for all of us who can't get there ... we'll be with you in spirit!

Go Celtics!!

haha and I'll be next to my pc listening to the game online.

And yea people who are attending, cheer for us.

I can already imagine KG pounding his chest and howling...lol....playoff time! Bring it on!
Anything is possible!!!