Author Topic: Looking for input on my Fantasy baseball team  (Read 9837 times)

Re: Looking for input on my Fantasy baseball team
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 01:32:44 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1620
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, since it looks like its critique time, I guess I'll get in the game.  I'm in 3 leagues so I'll just post the league that just drafted on Sat.   Standard 10 team league, 10 categories, head to head.

C- Bengie Molina
1B- Justin Morneau
2B- Ian Kinsler
SS- Jhonny Peralta
3B- Aubrey Huff
OF- Josh Hamilton
OF- Shane Victorino
OF- Corey Hart
Util- Adrian Gonzalez
Bench-  Chris Young, Pat Burrell

SP- Roy Halladay
SP- Felix Hernandez
RP- Francisco Rodriguez
RP- Jose Valverde
P- Daiske Matsuzaka
P- Ricky Nolasco
P- Francisco Cordero
Bench- John Denks, Jair Jurrjens

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 01:53:34 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
In the same league that Roy posted his roster from, this is mine.  I took on a bunch of guys whose stock was down this year compared to a year ago... (Cano, Tulowitzki, Chris Young on offense), and some injury concerns with the pitching (Young, Wang, Cordero, Gallardo, Bedard). If even half of those 8 players perform as they either have in the past, or where they have been expected to, I should be all set, but if injuries remain true, I could be in some big trouble.

Aside from Saves, I think I am pretty solid. 

C         
Russell Martin
(LAD - C,3B)
1B         
Prince Fielder
(Mil - 1B)
2B         
Robinson Canó
(NYY - 2B)
3B         
Evan Longoria
(TB - 3B)
SS         
Troy Tulowitzki
(Col - SS)
OF         
Alfonso Soriano
(ChC - OF)
OF         
Nate McLouth
(Pit - OF)
OF         
Andre Ethier
(LAD - OF)
Util         
Adrián González
(SD - 1B)
BN         
Chris Young
(Ari - OF)
BN         
Willy Taveras  (solely on my roster for SB's)
(Cin - OF)
BN         
Coco Crisp (almost solely on my roster for SB's, plus I think he should be pretty good this year...)
(KC - OF)

SP         
Cole Hamels
(Phi - SP)
SP         
Dan Haren
(Ari - SP)
RP         
Francisco Cordero
(Cin - RP)
RP         
Heath Bell
(SD - RP)
P         
Yovani Gallardo
(Mil - SP)
P         
Chris Young
(SD - SP)
P         
Chien-Ming Wang
(NYY - SP)
BN         
Erik Bedard
(Sea - SP)
BN         
Johnny Cueto
(Cin - SP)

Does your league have a utility spot? I'm assuming Gonzalez would be there.  If Tulowitzki can bounce back, your offense will be real good.  That's a pretty solid outfield you have there.  Kind've surprised you could get that in a 12 team league.  I took a flier on Chris Young myself as my 4th OF.  One of those low risk, high reward guys.  Seems like you're relying on bounce backs for the majority of your pitching staff.  Pretty risky but I have to think at least one (maybe two) of those guys will bounce back fine.  Could be in good shape.

Yea Gonzalez will be in the utility spot.

Soriano was a keeper, McClouth was my 'first' round pick (7 rounds of keepers, so he was really an 8th round pick), Ethier was 12th round (could be the best pick), and Young was 16th.

I certainly focused early on the offense because I had the two ace pitchers as keepers (Hamels, Haren)

I figured I could afford to take some risks on the pitchers because the top two (Haren, Hamels) are ace's.  Wang is pretty steady, nothing amazing, but he'll get wins.  Cueto and Gallardo are potential 'studs' who are young enough that since it is a keeper league they should have a lot of value (potential mid season trade if they play well).  But I am pretty screwed on closers right now.

I regret taking Cano...that was a mistake I think.

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Well, since it looks like its critique time, I guess I'll get in the game.  I'm in 3 leagues so I'll just post the league that just drafted on Sat.   Standard 10 team league, 10 categories, head to head.

C- Bengie Molina
1B- Justin Morneau
2B- Ian Kinsler
SS- Jhonny Peralta
3B- Aubrey Huff
OF- Josh Hamilton
OF- Shane Victorino
OF- Corey Hart
Util- Adrian Gonzalez

SP- Roy Halladay
SP- Felix Hernandez
RP- Francisco Rodriguez
RP- Jose Valverde
P- Daiske Matsuzaka
P- Ricky Nolasco
P- Francisco Cordero

Thats a good team.  I think in a 10 team league I would prefer a better catcher, but the rest of the offense is pretty darn good.  I like Nolasco - could be dynamite.

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 02:07:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

C- Bengie Molina
1B- Justin Morneau
2B- Ian Kinsler
SS- Jhonny Peralta
3B- Aubrey Huff
OF- Josh Hamilton
OF- Shane Victorino
OF- Corey Hart
Util- Adrian Gonzalez

SP- Roy Halladay
SP- Felix Hernandez
RP- Francisco Rodriguez
RP- Jose Valverde
P- Daiske Matsuzaka
P- Ricky Nolasco
P- Francisco Cordero

Thats a good team.  I think in a 10 team league I would prefer a better catcher, but the rest of the offense is pretty darn good.  I like Nolasco - could be dynamite.

I'm very high on Nolasco.  I have him in two of my three leagues.  The one league I don't have him, I had him queued up and the kid right before me nabbed him.  Great guy to "roll the dice" on as your 3 or 4 starter.

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
General strategy question:  there's no need for a 2nd catcher in most leagues if you can find a stronger guy statistically right? It's not like in basketball where you really need, say, at least 2 centers but might not take more given who's available.

The league-- i mentioned above --- is a 24(!)-cat h2h league with 12 teams.

(I'd offer feedback on other teams, but i really am going straight off ESPN/Rotoworld/Yahoo projections/predictions...  :-\
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
General strategy question:  there's no need for a 2nd catcher in most leagues if you can find a stronger guy statistically right? It's not like in basketball where you really need, say, at least 2 centers but might not take more given who's available.

(I'd offer feedback on other teams, but i really am going straight off ESPN/Rotoworld/Yahoo projections/predictions...  :-\

You're only starting one catcher, right?  If that's the case, I would honestly stick with one catcher and load up with either a corner infielder or an outfielder where there is much more depth.  Catcher is a top-heavy position.

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

You're only starting one catcher, right?  If that's the case, I would honestly stick with one catcher and load up with either a corner infielder or an outfielder where there is much more depth.  Catcher is a top-heavy position.

exactly.  Or take a shot at some high risk high reward type player.  if he plays well, there is always the option to trade him.

but no real reason to fill your roster with a guy just so that you have a backup at a position.  get the best players available.

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

exactly.  Or take a shot at some high risk high reward type player.  if he plays well, there is always the option to trade him.

but no real reason to fill your roster with a guy just so that you have a backup at a position.  get the best players available.

thanks Don & Y'all --- TP for both of y'all.

I have the ATL catcher (McCann) so i dropped A.J. Priezienadkfdski for David DeJesus.... since my buddy said he might breakout this season.

one last strategy question --- some guys in my league have more pitching than offense (3 bench guys of the 5 as pitchers) some have 2 bench pitchers....

I guess i don't get the nuance. It seems like a bunch of the pithcing categories are onese that are scarce (CG, SHO,). I guess i just don't yet get the relative merits of "loading up on pitching" is it b/c they're more likely to miss starts/be inconsistent, etc than everyday players?

As always TP for some help  :D
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 11:43:59 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I have the ATL catcher (McCann) so i dropped A.J. Priezienadkfdski for David DeJesus.... since my buddy said he might breakout this season.

one last strategy question --- some guys in my league have more pitching than offense (3 bench guys of the 5 as pitchers) some have 2 bench pitchers....

I guess i don't get the nuance. It seems like a bunch of the pithcing categories are onese that are scarce (CG, SHO,). I guess i just don't yet get the relative merits of "loading up on pitching" is it b/c they're more likely to miss starts/be inconsistent, etc than everyday players?

Well, I'm not sure if its the case in your league but I have a weekly minimum innings requirement in my keeper league.  I have to get 35 innings out of my pitching staff each week.  You need some depth at the pitching spot if that's the case because you're number 1 & 2 guys are probably starting only twice a week and, often, not going past 7 innings.  Closers only get you around 1 IP per appearance so I need to have quality 4 and 5 guys or else my ERA and WHIP goes in the tank (my keeper league has like 10 pitching categories, alone)

In a non-minimum inning league, its still good to have depth because you are going to have pitchers missing starts over the course of the season.  Also, outside the top notch starters, pitching stats are going to vary year to year with most guys.  Grabbing quality starters in the later rounds can help compensate for the volatility of the position.  Also, I just like to gamble on the younger guys sometimes.

As for positional guys, its good to have a backup in the IF and OF but, barring injuries, your starters are going to be in your lineup all season so the need to stock for depth is less pertinent than the pitching positions, IMO.

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

I think it just depends on where you think you cna get the best players.  if you have a hunch x player is better then the rest of the league, stick him on your bench.  if the rest of the league is weak on pitching and you are loaded, you may be able to swap and get better value for a guy or vice versa.  I think it is all personal preference.

as don said - I like to gamble on some young pitchers.  people get excited if they have a few good games and I almost always flip them for better talent.

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 02:52:01 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Alright, yesterday I threw up one of my 3 teams. Today, figured I'd throw out my keeper league team for review.  League is 12 teams, head to head.  However, we have 25 categories and a weekly 35 minimum IP.  25 categories are:

Offensive:(R,1B,2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB,BB,K,FPCT,AVG,OPS) 
Defensive:(W,L,CG,SV,ER,HR,BB,K,HLD,ERA,WHIP,K/9,QS)

C-Chris Ianetta
1B-Adrian Gonzalez
2B-Howie Kendrick
SS-Hanley Ramirez
3B-Miguel Cabrera
OF-Nate McLouth
OF-Corey Hart
OF-Brad Hawpe
Util-David Ortiz
Bench- Chris Young

SP-Jake Peavy
SP-Francisco Liriano
RP-Jose Valverde
RP-Matt Capps
P-Kevin Slowey
P-Gavin Floyd
P-Jair Jurrjens
Bench:  George Sherrill, Joel Hanrahan, Carlos Villanueva, David Price

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 03:00:24 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Alright, yesterday I threw up one of my 3 teams. Today, figured I'd throw out my keeper league team for review.  League is 12 teams, head to head.  However, we have 25 categories and a weekly 35 minimum IP.  25 categories are:

Offensive:(R,1B,2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB,BB,K,FPCT,AVG,OPS) 
Defensive:(W,L,CG,SV,ER,HR,BB,K,HLD,ERA,WHIP,K/9,QS)

C-Chris Ianetta
1B-Adrian Gonzalez
2B-Howie Kendrick
SS-Hanley Ramirez
3B-Miguel Cabrera
OF-Nate McLouth
OF-Corey Hart
OF-Brad Hawpe
Util-David Ortiz
Bench- Chris Young

SP-Jake Peavy
SP-Francisco Liriano
RP-Jose Valverde
RP-Matt Capps
P-Kevin Slowey
P-Gavin Floyd
P-Jair Jurrjens
Bench:  George Sherrill, Joel Hanrahan, Carlos Villanueva, David Price

Thats a pretty ridiculous offense for a 12 team league (Hanley and Cabrera on the same team)I'd be worried about Kendrick's health - I love the player but he is never ever healthy for significant amounts of time.  are there any useful 2b on the wire?

I also dont like Hanrahan.  I know he is their 'closer' but how many save chances is that awful team really going to get?

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thats a pretty ridiculous offense for a 12 team league (Hanley and Cabrera on the same team)I'd be worried about Kendrick's health - I love the player but he is never ever healthy for significant amounts of time.  are there any useful 2b on the wire?

I also dont like Hanrahan.  I know he is their 'closer' but how many save chances is that awful team really going to get?

We get to keep 4 keepers.  My carryovers are Hanley, Cabrera, Peavy, and Gonzalez. 

Basically, I was able to get the Hanley/Miggy combo on luck.  Back in '06, I took Miggy in the first round (it was our first keeper draft) and took Hanley more as an afterthought in the 22nd round.  Behold, he has a solid rookie campaign and he's a keeper.

I do have concerns over my bullpen.  Middle relievers are just as valuable as closers in this league so its hit or miss.  Usually, you can find replacements in free agency.

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 04:28:37 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

We get to keep 4 keepers.  My carryovers are Hanley, Cabrera, Peavy, and Gonzalez. 

Basically, I was able to get the Hanley/Miggy combo on luck.  Back in '06, I took Miggy in the first round (it was our first keeper draft) and took Hanley more as an afterthought in the 22nd round.  Behold, he has a solid rookie campaign and he's a keeper.

I do have concerns over my bullpen.  Middle relievers are just as valuable as closers in this league so its hit or miss.  Usually, you can find replacements in free agency.

I doubt he is, but is JJ Putz available?  I have seen him available in a ton of standard scoring leagues, and his value would be pretty good in your league. maybe he was overlooked?

how about :

Jose Arredondo
Hong-Chih Kuo

I may like any of those three better then Hanrahan...probably  a combo of not trusting him, and thinking that those other guys are pretty lights out (and all three could step into the closer roll if the guy in front falters).

as for keeping Gonzalez :  I want him to be traded.  thats part of why I kept him as well.  the guy could hit 40+ if he were out of Petco.

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 05:08:28 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I doubt he is, but is JJ Putz available?  I have seen him available in a ton of standard scoring leagues, and his value would be pretty good in your league. maybe he was overlooked?

how about :

Jose Arredondo
Hong-Chih Kuo

I may like any of those three better then Hanrahan...probably  a combo of not trusting him, and thinking that those other guys are pretty lights out (and all three could step into the closer roll if the guy in front falters).

as for keeping Gonzalez :  I want him to be traded.  thats part of why I kept him as well.  the guy could hit 40+ if he were out of Petco.

Both of those guys are gone.  I gotta say, our league knows its stuff.   The free agents are a very thin bunch and people usually hold off making any waiver pickups unless its a bonafide prospect coming up from minors for fear of going back down to 12 on waiver priority.  The draft really is the make or break thing for teams.  25 rounds, so the leftovers are slim.

I'd love to see what Gonzalez could do in a hitter friendly ballpark.  He'd definitely get himself 40+ homers.