Author Topic: Rondo's Immaturity  (Read 3399 times)

Rondo's Immaturity
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:54:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Yes, he is an unbelievable talent. But lately he is doing things that are at best, immature and a little strange. According to the broadcast, he showed up to the Garden last night less than an hour before tip-off. If that is true, it is worthy of a fine.  On at least two occasions, Doc said that Rondo did not feel well in the game because he ate some spicy food in the locker room. Rajon, what are you thinking?? And some of his antics on the court are starting to irritate me. I have no problem with the hard foul on Miller. He now seems to complain on virtually every call against him. That was so unlike how he has played in the past. He usually had a cool veneer.  Something has gotten to this kid. I think he has been reading his press clippings lately, and his ego is getting inflated. Don't know what else to make of it.  I still love him as our PG. He is an incredible talent. But that does not make him immune from criticism.

Re: Rondo's Immaturity
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:58:38 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Well he's starting to come into his own and may be feeling the effects of the spotlight to a degree. He does seem to get a little frustrated to soon at times, I think it may be due to the way he is officiated. He is starting to get a few star calls, bad as we all know NBA refs if anything, are inconsistent, so he may still be trying to figure out his status in the league.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:32:33 AM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67
Yes, he is an unbelievable talent. But lately he is doing things that are at best, immature and a little strange. According to the broadcast, he showed up to the Garden last night less than an hour before tip-off. If that is true, it is worthy of a fine.  On at least two occasions, Doc said that Rondo did not feel well in the game because he ate some spicy food in the locker room. Rajon, what are you thinking?? And some of his antics on the court are starting to irritate me. I have no problem with the hard foul on Miller. He now seems to complain on virtually every call against him. That was so unlike how he has played in the past. He usually had a cool veneer.  Something has gotten to this kid. I think he has been reading his press clippings lately, and his ego is getting inflated. Don't know what else to make of it.  I still love him as our PG. He is an incredible talent. But that does not make him immune from criticism.
Ha... you my friend are the epitome of an over-reacting Boston fan.  That's hysterical.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:37:19 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

I agree he made some bone-headed plays last night that seemed a little unlike him (the glaring example being the behind the back pass off Allen's leg late in the game).  But to jump on him for what he ate before the game is a little overboard.  He is an All-Star caliber point guard who for a while late in the year was playing better than anyone else on the roster.  Commenting on his on-court errors is fine, but being more upset about what he is eating and his daily schedule seems like grasping at straws to me.  For all we know, he ate spicy food and showed up and hour before tip-off the day he had 19 assists and 0 turnovers.  If you wanna get on his case, get on his case about on-court stuff.  If this is an ongoing thing with him, then I would agree with you, but unless the off-court stuff becomes a pattern of behavior I don't see it an a major issue.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:56:13 AM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I think Rajon needs to take the ball to the basket more than he has been. He was doing it at will against the Bulls for the first 3 games of the series, then faded rapidly. He actually looked scared to me in the game where he had 19 assists to look for his own offense. He really needs to keep working on his jumper in the offseason. His shot looks awkward with his right elbow cranked out the way it is when he shoots, and his shot often shows it. The foul line jumper he took at the end of the first OT in game 6 against Chicago was bricktastic (the ball nearly got stuck from wedging between the backside of the rim and backboard.

The play where he allowed Alston to steal the ball off the floor in last night's game before stealing it back and Pierce bailing us out with a 3 was another awkward play. I could see Alston was going to steal it, and we were lucky to get the ball back. I thought it was a pretty nonchalant play by Rondo to allow that to happen.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 11:08:09 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Rondo is definitely a difficult personality and it will be interesting to see how stardom treats him. He didn't seem to handle it that well in college.

At least he takes the game seriously. I'd rather have a guy who takes himself too seriously than a slacker who never reaches his potential.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 11:46:14 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Ha... you my friend are the epitome of an over-reacting Boston fan.  That's hysterical.

Lol, what was Rondo thinking eating spicey food! :o

I don't think of Rondo as immature, but it seems he's picking up a few bad habits. He's starting to flop around like Pierce, and is getting a bit more chippy. I don't see him eating spicy food before the game being an issue, and I highly doubt he chose to be late to tip-off.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
At least he takes the game seriously.

I think this was the OP's main point.  If you're taking the game seriously you show up earlier and eat smarter.
This is the playoff's after all.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 12:41:48 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Lol, what was Rondo thinking eating spicey food! :o

I don't think of Rondo as immature, but it seems he's picking up a few bad habits. He's starting to flop around like Pierce, and is getting a bit more chippy. I don't see him eating spicy food before the game being an issue, and I highly doubt he chose to be late to tip-off.

He learned the flopping thing from Allen Iverson. He was defending Iverson and AI did it to him on a play, and two possessions later Rondo did the same thing back to AI. I remember Tommy laughing about it, because Tommy hates flopping.

He is definitely getting chippier then I remember though (not necessarily a bad thing). But also, and I don't like this, he's more content to settle for jump shots. I feel like he's buying into the "Rondo is a legit scorer" hype during the Bulls series and in doing so is settling too much, instead of doing what actually makes him a legit threat to score (getting to the basket).
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 12:55:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
At least he takes the game seriously.

I think this was the OP's main point.  If you're taking the game seriously you show up earlier and eat smarter.
This is the playoff's after all.
I agreed with gist the original post.

Regarding the food, is eating spicy food before a game a new thing for Rondo? Or has he done this many times with no bad effects?

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 01:01:03 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
His flopping is really starting to bother me and the refs already seem to be catching on. I do think he is still immature and it will be interesting to see what kind of personality he develops in the next year or so.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 01:08:17 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
For better or worse, Rondo is a third year player being held to the same stndards of 10 and 12 year vets. That's what talent and opportunity gets you...

Ray is known as one of the most meticulous players in regards to pre game preparation the league and therefore that's the standard for anyone on this team.

Frankly, I think some of these things being discussed (running late, eating the wrong food) are more common in the league as a whole than many of us would think. However, based on the level of expectations on THIS team, it is unacceptable.

Overall, I don't read too much into this. More so, I think this is an issue that will be effectively addressed behind closed doors by the team, and there have probably been 10-20 other instances similar to this that were addressed with no one's knowledge previously this season.   
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 01:16:07 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
can u say overacting?  didnt he just come close to averaging a triple double last series?!?!  ::)

he, like everyone is, is not a perfect player.  you take the good with the bad.  his good FAR outweighs his bad.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 01:17:55 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I'll take consistency from the guy who is your floor general. Only way this team will win is if Rondo consistently play smaart. The 5 good/great games, 1 mediocre game, two bad games is not going to get it done.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 01:20:27 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I'll take consistency from the guy who is your floor general. Only way this team will win is if Rondo consistently play smaart. The 5 good/great games, 1 mediocre game, two bad games is not going to get it done.

has there been anyone on our team this postseason to play all good/great games? thats the bigger issue