Author Topic: What kind of fan am I?  (Read 2817 times)

What kind of fan am I?
« on: June 04, 2008, 09:05:41 AM »

Offline Shiz1111

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 22
I just read through this article: http://newengland.comcastsportsnet.com/wickedgoodsports/celtics/the-levels-of-the-celtic-fandom/

I couldn't see which category I really fit into. The Celtics have always been my team, without question, win or lose but I haven't really been a fan. I wasn't watching any games, I wasn't attending any games but if anyone asked me who my team was, Celtics were it. For some reason out of the blue, I decide to start watching the C's regularly. I heard we had a terrible season last year, but I figured I would watch anyway. Turns out if I were to pick any season to watch, this one is it. Do I have impeccable timing or does this fabulous season that I chose to watch make me a bandwagon fan?

I can say that I watched every game this season, whether it "mattered" or not (because to me they all mattered). I spend more time on CelticsBlog.com than I do at my usual tasks at work (productivity has tanked during the post season). I'm incredibly greedy and ruthless about our wins. If we're up 10, I want us up 20. If we're up 20, I want us up 30. During game 7 with Atlanta, I wanted us to obliterate them with a 50 point lead. How dare they attempt to damage our credibility?! (We had to take some blame for going 7 games there too, but that's an issue long past and I digress) If we lose, I'm in no mood for discussion for about a day afterwards and then I'm recuperated enough to gear up for a win. People at work can tell if the Celtic's won or lost based on my mood. I love the articles and the interviews, I watch them ALL. I love CSL, and the Comcast Pre/Post game shows. I can not get enough of it. I love it, love it, love it. All of it.

So what kind of fan am I? I'm hooked no matter what at this point, but is my fan hood questionable considering the time I decided to start watching? I can't possibly be considered die-hard, yet I don't think I'm a pink shirt either. None of the other categories seems to apply. What do you think?

Re: What kind of fan am I?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 09:19:48 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Due to your suspicious timing in re-upping your Celtics fan membership, we're labeling you a bandwagon jumper. ;)

Just kidding.  I don't know what category you're in, but I don't have a huge issue with fans who were dormant for awhile, so long as they come out and legitimately support the team now.  Just don't act like a "super fan" who thinks the team's current success is a reflection on your success as a person, and don't talk about what a big fan you are if you can't name the 15 players on the roster, and you'll be fine.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:22:04 AM »

Offline shahpound

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I don't know. My gut tells me that you had to feel the lows of Acie Earl, Dino Radja, Chris Corciani, Nate Driggers, Greg Minor, Eric Montross, Thomas Hamilton, Kedrick Brown, Derek Strong, etc. before you can come to appreciate the high of this season.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:09:44 AM »

Offline Shiz1111

• Xavier Tillman
Due to your suspicious timing in re-upping your Celtics fan membership, we're labeling you a bandwagon jumper. ;) Just kidding.

Funny  :)

I don't know what category you're in, but I don't have a huge issue with fans who were dormant for awhile, so long as they come out and legitimately support the team now.  Just don't act like a "super fan" who thinks the team's current success is a reflection on your success as a person, and don't talk about what a big fan you are if you can't name the 15 players on the roster, and you'll be fine.

Definitely not me, it's hard to act like a "super fan" if I can't really discuss the past few seasons. I can name the majority of the people on the roster and even what I like about them the most in terms of strengths...then again it took about 5 or 6 games of me saying "Who's that guy?!" before I realized we had a player on our team named Gabe Pruitt  :)

I think time will tell. I need a few years of ups and downs under my belt. How about "Die-Hard Fan In Training"?

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 10:20:19 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Due to your suspicious timing in re-upping your Celtics fan membership, we're labeling you a bandwagon jumper. ;) Just kidding.

Funny  :)

I don't know what category you're in, but I don't have a huge issue with fans who were dormant for awhile, so long as they come out and legitimately support the team now.  Just don't act like a "super fan" who thinks the team's current success is a reflection on your success as a person, and don't talk about what a big fan you are if you can't name the 15 players on the roster, and you'll be fine.

Definitely not me, it's hard to act like a "super fan" if I can't really discuss the past few seasons. I can name the majority of the people on the roster and even what I like about them the most in terms of strengths...then again it took about 5 or 6 games of me saying "Who's that guy?!" before I realized we had a player on our team named Gabe Pruitt  :)

I think time will tell. I need a few years of ups and downs under my belt. How about "Die-Hard Fan In Training"?

Arent we all?  ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 10:21:14 AM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
I don't know. My gut tells me that you had to feel the lows of Acie Earl, Dino Radja, Chris Corciani, Nate Driggers, Greg Minor, Eric Montross, Thomas Hamilton, Kedrick Brown, Derek Strong, etc. before you can come to appreciate the high of this season.

How could you fail to mention Dirk Minnefield? Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:23:52 AM »

Offline Shiz1111

• Xavier Tillman

Sadly no, I remember some old frustrations with Chauncy Billups back in the day and even that is vague. I touched in and out over the years but never enough to REALLY feel these lows. Just down that my team is down you know?

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I guess I'm somewhere between Die hard and Larry Bird disciple.