Author Topic: What will the Celtic rotation look like for this series?  (Read 4075 times)

What will the Celtic rotation look like for this series?
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:10:03 AM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
With Doc Rivers "coaching by feel", it's a bit of a mystery as to who will play, and how much playing time they will get. This seems to vary from series to series. Is this something that's predicated on matchups? Is it just a gut feeling? Does he consult The Oracle from the Matrix trilogy before the game?

As a Laker fan, this mystifies me. If you have any insight, please share.

Oh, and this 139 day wait for Game 1 is maddening. It's like the Super Bowl. Well, at least THAT experience will prepare you for the end result of this series, so there is a bit of a positive connotation to this layoff.  :P

Re: What will the Celtic rotation look like for this series?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:03:28 AM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
You've hit on a very contentious topic among Celtics fans.  I think the rotation is set up to the 7th man (Posey and PJ Brown).  After that, it's all up in the air.  Sam or House?  Powe or Baby?  Tony Allen, anyone?

Backup PG is the most troublesome rotation spot for the Celtics.  There have often been no good options when Rondo's not played well.  I like House to get first dibs against the Lakers since ballhandling won't be such a problem unlike in Detroit.  House played very well when Doc re-inserted him to the rotation in Games 6 and 7 against Cleveland. 

Powe deserves to be ahead of Baby but his defensive rotations (Doc's big on that) are a problem.  Don't be surprised to see Powe in one half and Davis in the other half.  I wonder who Doc puts on Odom if KG has to sit.  Odom's too quick for PJ or Perk.  Probably Doc will just put Posey on him.       

Finally there's Tony Allen.  Could he be our secret Kobe stopper?  I wish.  ;) He does not have the highest BBIQ and is a turnover waiting to happen.  But he's a good defender and can drive to the basket.  Needless to say, he'll have the shortest leash of them all.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:14:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Starters + Posey + Brown.  The backup PG situation will be interesting.  I think you might see a bit of House and Cassell depending on the flow of the games and situations.  I also think that if there is some foul trouble or ineffectiveness from Brown, you'll see Powe putting in some minutes. 

I don't anticipate much, if any, Big Baby and Tony Allen.  Forget about Scals.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:20:45 AM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
From a Laker fan perspective, House scares me waaaaaaaaay more than Cassell does. He's an underrated defender, a known quantity behind the arc, and actually....ya know....passes the ball when he isn't open. The same can't be said of Cassell. I sincerely hope that Doc rationalizes Sam's "Finals experience" into more PT.

And I've heard that Tony Allen (who I've always liked, and played tremendously in LA) was probably out for the series. Is this not the case? 

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 01:30:17 AM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
From a Laker fan perspective, House scares me waaaaaaaaay more than Cassell does. He's an underrated defender, a known quantity behind the arc, and actually....ya know....passes the ball when he isn't open. The same can't be said of Cassell. I sincerely hope that Doc rationalizes Sam's "Finals experience" into more PT.

And I've heard that Tony Allen (who I've always liked, and played tremendously in LA) was probably out for the series. Is this not the case? 

Just some sore Achilles thing.  MRI's came back negative and he's practicing again.  Yeah, he plays well once in a while.  That LA game was one of those silly Tony Allen as PG experiments.  We were actually surprised the Great Phil Jackson didn't figure to pressure TA bringing the ball up.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:51:21 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Frankly, I don't see how anyone can offer anything but wild conjecture ... Doc has followed very little rhyme or reason in the past three series, and I doubt it will change much. I hope otherwise, and it has improved, but he still spends at least 12 minutes of each game doing things that make no sense whatsoever. So, what will the rotation look like? I imagine a bit like this:

;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 03:33:25 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Starters + Posey + Brown.  The backup PG situation will be interesting.  I think you might see a bit of House and Cassell depending on the flow of the games and situations.  I also think that if there is some foul trouble or ineffectiveness from Brown, you'll see Powe putting in some minutes. 

I don't anticipate much, if any, Big Baby and Tony Allen.
  Forget about Scals.

Haha.  I wish I had your confidence.  I think pretty much everyone is going to play at times, regardless of its detriment to the team.  We've played 102 games and still don't have a rotation, why start now?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 03:34:53 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
From a Laker fan perspective, House scares me waaaaaaaaay more than Cassell does. He's an underrated defender, a known quantity behind the arc, and actually....ya know....passes the ball when he isn't open. The same can't be said of Cassell.

See?  The Lakers fans get it, at least.  Now, hopefully it sinks in with the coach.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 05:36:59 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Well if we can get Cassell an arm sleeve then it'd be a good idea to use him as the backup PG, but I don't see Sam pulling out of his shooting slump at all like Ray Allen did so hopefully the Lakers won't press too, too much and we're able to use Eddie as the backup PG for maybe 10 or 15 minutes a game. Then even if they do press Eddie or whatnot, we could just use Paul as a point forward to bring the ball upcourt.

Then after that Brown and Posey and one of Powe or Davis, whichever one Doc feels can do more against the Lakers.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 05:51:28 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

I don't anticipate much, if any, Big Baby and Tony Allen.
  Forget about Scals.

Haha.  I wish I had your confidence.  I think pretty much everyone is going to play at times, regardless of its detriment to the team.  We've played 102 games and still don't have a rotation, why start now?

i initially agreed with donoghus, but having read your point roy i'm back into limbo :-\

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 06:06:35 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Yes Roy, sounds good- starters plus Posey and PJ.  Does that mean Rondo goes 48 minutes? That would be ok with me,  but if Doc chooses Sam over Eddie again I'll be sick, but only a little surprised. Who knows, maybe Sam will actually do something positive?  Guess we should all just throw up our hands and hope for the best.
Oh, Leon or Big Baby? I think Doc just flips a coin, don't think he has any faith in either one. IMO it should be Leon- more mature and consistent.
So, in other words, I really have no clue what the rotation will be.
But it's the finals- I'm going to do my best to just enjoy the games and root for whoever Doc puts on the floor.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 06:31:40 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Well if we can get Cassell an arm sleeve then it'd be a good idea to use him as the backup PG, but I don't see Sam pulling out of his shooting slump at all like Ray Allen did so hopefully the Lakers won't press too, too much and we're able to use Eddie as the backup PG for maybe 10 or 15 minutes a game. Then even if they do press Eddie or whatnot, we could just use Paul as a point forward to bring the ball upcourt.

Then after that Brown and Posey and one of Powe or Davis, whichever one Doc feels can do more against the Lakers.

sam did actally wear a sleeve, remember in game 3(the game he actually did well) when i think he got scratched he motioned for a sleeve then from then on his game was ok.. the next game he sported a wrist band and stunk

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 07:17:21 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
LA's already up one game to zip because of the coaching advantage. We have a lot to overcome with Doc at the helm. Celts in 7. If Allen is on no one will beat the us. Pierce will star again.

Play House for Rondo spells. We need his speed and outside the arc shooting. Cassell is a liability. His appearances have been poor for the most part. Plus, Posey, Powe and Brown.

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 08:15:25 AM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
Golden Throat,

It may have been the Sportsguy Simmons who said it, but probably just the starting five, plus PJ Brown and James Posey.  The article that I read stated that past those, maybe Leon Powe.  Other than that, all the rest should warm the bench.  I do expect to see Sam Cassell play though.  Fisher and Cassell won't be a bad match up for either side.  One crafty veteran against another crafty veteran.  Unfortunately, Sam probably will not see a lot of p/t if he hangs on to the ball too much and stifles movement.

Pierce probably will not guard Kobe, as everyone expects.  The last thing Rivers would want is for Paul to get in foul trouble early on, or at any time, actually.  Jackson may feel the same way about Kobe.  Ray will take Kobe, and Radmanovic will have to take Paul.  That's my guess.  Posey will end up playing a lot just to defend Kobe.  Same on the other side for Vujacic.