Author Topic: Mavs ban fan for rest of season for "heckling" Patrick Beverly  (Read 1308 times)

Mavs ban fan for rest of season for "heckling" Patrick Beverly
« on: January 22, 2019, 05:48:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Re: Mavs ban fan for rest of season for "heckling" Patrick Beverly
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
It says the Mavs did an investigation and that sources indicated other fans had complained about him inappropriately heckling opposing players on other occasions. 
If your fellow fans are complaining about it, a ban of some sort seems reasonable. 

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:24:17 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It says the Mavs did an investigation and that sources indicated other fans had complained about him inappropriately heckling opposing players on other occasions. 
If your fellow fans are complaining about it, a ban of some sort seems reasonable.

I don't mind it. We expect players to hold themselves to a certain level of decorum while they play, I think we, as fans, should be held to a standard of decency as well. I shout and jump up and down at games and, in my youth, I maybe heckled Reggie Miller, but I never shouted insults or profanity at anyone.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 06:28:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I don't mind it. We expect players to hold themselves to a certain level of decorum while they play, I think we, as fans, should be held to a standard of decency as well. I shout and jump up and down at games and, in my youth, I maybe heckled Reggie Miller, but I never shouted insults or profanity at anyone.
I don't believe one bit of that

A large percentage of fans use profanity and insults at games. Heckling is part of the fan experience these days. Its undeniable. Nobody reasonable is expecting fans to not use profanity here and there especially during heckling players

The mavs  did not ban him for heckling or profanity. They banned him because Patrick Beverly reacted to it, which itself became a high profile incident and likely caused an unjust complaint from the players union. Otherwise they would have to ban a few thousand other fans who heckle at every game. The fan is a scapegoat In a situation where Beverly should have ignored the fan..

If the players are allowed to react to f bombs with physiciality, we would see malice at the palace every single game

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 06:30:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sure, Beverly needs to do a better job of tuning that stuff out.

But that doesn't mean the Mavs are wrong to not want a fan like that at their games.  The guy crossed the line, plain and simple.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 06:32:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Evidently he was cursing about his mother.

Some things should be off-limits.

Let this go, then some drunked up fan can say whatever they want about these players - especially with the way social media is nowadays.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 06:33:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
NBA has a fan code of conduct.  It's at team's discretion about how to enforce it.

Clearly, this guy's behavior cross the line in the team's eyes.  If other fans are bothered by his behavior, that didn't help his cause.   Heck, most teams have a number you can text or call if you're at a game and you're having an issue with a fan.

You attend a sporting event as a fan, you're expected to behave a certain way.  It appears this idiot didn't and crossed the line. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 01:32:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I don't believe one bit of that

A large percentage of fans use profanity and insults at games. Heckling is part of the fan experience these days. Its undeniable. Nobody reasonable is expecting fans to not use profanity here and there especially during heckling players

The mavs  did not ban him for heckling or profanity. They banned him because Patrick Beverly reacted to it, which itself became a high profile incident and likely caused an unjust complaint from the players union. Otherwise they would have to ban a few thousand other fans who heckle at every game. The fan is a scapegoat In a situation where Beverly should have ignored the fan..

If the players are allowed to react to f bombs with physiciality, we would see malice at the palace every single game

Nobody has ever suggested that was the case. I have no idea where you're getting that.

If you're not able to be in public and watch a sporting event without shouting profane insults, you've got deeper problems to worry about than basketball.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:01:41 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Evidently he was cursing about his mother.

Some things should be off-limits.

Let this go, then some drunked up fan can say whatever they want about these players - especially with the way social media is nowadays.
I agree that it was something to this effect. It's not like he told him his wife tastes like Cheerios.