Author Topic: Ten Thoughts From Game 1  (Read 21536 times)

Re: Ten Thoughts From Game 1
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 09:32:03 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Looks like I need to be more clear.  I am NOT advocating for a brown reddick trade.  As far as this example, I was merely suggesting that we could improve the team if we had another kind of player besides brown in that spot. 

I fear that he will get frustrated because he will be left out on offense.  He’s not good enough to demand the ball and I think will have to settle for scraps or be relegated to spot ups.  So my main point is, another player who is better at that role might be better for the team.  Since we were playing reddick last night I threw that name out there.  Not at all suugestng a trade.

And it’s not a bias against brown versus say, Hayward. It’s a straightforward observation that brown is a bit erratic. He’s not as good as Hayward, and probably never will be.

But yeah, he’s a versatile defender and an exiting player.  Not calling him terrible by any stretch.

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 09:38:53 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
11.  I think Hayward showed some signs of improvement from the preseason, too.   I loved his four steals, it will come.
Don't want to be a downer, but he didn't look like he was ready for 25 minutes.
I am sure he will be fine, but he looked out of breath and no lift at certain points.   

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 09:41:53 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
11.  I think Hayward showed some signs of improvement from the preseason, too.   I loved his four steals, it will come.
I am sure he will be fine, but he looked out of breath and no lift at certain points.
He mentioned he was out of breath in the post game, but not due to conditioning.  He apparently was too revved up, which you could understand.

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2018, 09:50:57 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
My thoughts:

1. Team is loaded, duh.
2. TATUM will be the best player on the team and maybe best player in the East.
3. How can we keep Rozier long term?
4. Love the length of this team
5. Philly is not our top competition, surely Toronto will be.
6. Morris is a total steal, enjoy him for one more year.
7. Fultz sucks lol

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Brown scored 30+ points twice in the playoffs last year. There will be about 10 games or more that he will be undoubtedably the best player on the court. Thinking of trading him with two cost controlled years on his contract is crazy talk.

BINGO!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Disagree with 7. Brown didn't finish well tonight but with his usual finishing, he probably puts up 20 tonight. Brown will be a two way star. He has to stay and be used properly.
But you’re only half addressing the point.  I think someone is going to get lost amid all these A players.  I happen to think that guy will be Brown.
I think they will all find their role and on different nights, the leading scorer and star will be different and on many, many nights that star is Brown.

Brown missed several lay ups/offensive rebounds/makeable shots. He could easily have gone for 20+ tonight and if he did I am sure you aren't calling to trade him.
I’m not seeing those makeable misses.  As I recall, he was swallowed up inside several times and he’s never really been known for his touch around the rim anyway.

As far as calling to trade him, that’s not really the premise of my thread last week.  I more was pointing to a guy that might be replaced by another guy to make us better (theoretically).  For instance, I think the Celtics would be better right now with someone like reddick versus brown.

Seek help. You'd have to be nuts to suggest such a trade.

The only way you trade Brown is if it's in a deal for someone like AD. Otherwise, you hold on to a two way player like him with a death grip.

yep. i'd only trade him for AD or KD. that's it basically
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2018, 10:04:13 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I know there were a few good things about the game - especially terry and Morris.  BUT, I am disappointed in 2 things:

1.  The number of wide open shots that JJ Redick got, mostly off of simple picks.

2.  The layup drill put on by Simmons.  Can't anybody stay in front of him?  I mean, he is nowhere near as good as Kyrie with his dribbling.  The D on him is just plain lazy in my eyes.  get in the f'in front of him [dang it].

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2018, 10:39:46 AM »

Offline mysteryMrE

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
One of my biggest concerns coming into this season was Rozier and how his role would evolve coming off of a great playoff run this last year. There is no doubt in my mind that some team is going to throw a big offer at him next year, and the opportunity to start and play huge minutes will likely be at the top of his priority list.

With that being said, we all know how Danny feels about him, and he is going to be a key cog to this team in the postseason (trading him would be a tough pill to swallow). Last night he played 27 minutes, and was a team high (doubling up the next closest) +22. I feel that this type of role is perfect for Rozier, and am hoping he buys in and the Celtics can find a way to pay him next year.

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2018, 10:50:01 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
After all the talk about minutes this summer I'm glad to come away from game 1 feeling like Brad has it all figured out. There's a clear 9-man rotation that's going to play about 20-30 mpg and he's not going to stray from those 9 guys.

The starters will play around 30 mpg, with Hayward playing fewer minutes until he's ready. Baynes played 19 minutes last night, which is exactly what he averaged last season. That leaves 23-24 mpg for Terry, Smart, and Morris.

And that's it. The real sacrifice in minutes are going to come from the fringes. Ojeleye, Yabu, and Wanamaker effectively didn't play. Theis got a couple of non-garbage minutes (which I was glad to see) but he's not part of the rotation.

Save for injuries, we just aren't going to have bench guys who come in and play 5-10 minutes. Brad has his tight 9 and he's going to stick with it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
The crazy thing to me is we blew out the 76ers with Kyrie and Hayward not doing too much.

Now imagine if they hit their normal percentages or once they found into form?

This team is going to be scary good. The depth we are able to throw at teams is ridiculous

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2018, 11:30:55 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
He mentioned he was out of breath in the post game, but not due to conditioning.  He apparently was too revved up, which you could understand.

I think apc was referring to his play in 2nd half. I agree. He lacked lift and looked gassed.  Brad took him out shortly after, then re-inserted him.  He'll be fine, though. Just conditioning, really.  He lacked lift, you could see it when he tried to go for rebounds and was clearly unable to get up much. Also affects his ability to finish at the rim.

It will come back, and when it does, look out. 

Oh, and Gordon is much bigger and stronger than I realized. Simmons had trouble trying to post him up.  His size is a huge benefit for us.

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2018, 11:55:59 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
If Brad is a good coach, there shouldn't be such a thing as "too much talent" on this team. It will be his job to get these guys to buy into what they can achieve this year. Doc was able to do it with 3 superstars, Brad needs to do it with this team.

If during the year, a few guys get upset at not playing more and cause a disruption, then trade them for picks or players that want to win. Unless they get nailed with the injury bug, there is absolutely no reason for this team to not have a better than avg chance at winning it all. GS is good, but Boston is way deeper and should be able to handle them.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2018, 11:58:34 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Losing Ilyasova and Bellinelli this summer really hurt the Sixers. The lack of shooting and the ability to spread the floor was painfully evident for them last night.

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
After all the talk about minutes this summer I'm glad to come away from game 1 feeling like Brad has it all figured out. There's a clear 9-man rotation that's going to play about 20-30 mpg and he's not going to stray from those 9 guys.

The starters will play around 30 mpg, with Hayward playing fewer minutes until he's ready. Baynes played 19 minutes last night, which is exactly what he averaged last season. That leaves 23-24 mpg for Terry, Smart, and Morris.

And that's it. The real sacrifice in minutes are going to come from the fringes. Ojeleye, Yabu, and Wanamaker effectively didn't play. Theis got a couple of non-garbage minutes (which I was glad to see) but he's not part of the rotation.

Save for injuries, we just aren't going to have bench guys who come in and play 5-10 minutes. Brad has his tight 9 and he's going to stick with it.

TP.  This is a great point.  I was worried how we would find minutes for all these guys, and someone like Morris I was thinking was a luxury on this team, but he seems to fit a role. 

If everyone buys in they might get roughly 5 less minutes, and less shots than they would ideally like, but still plenty of enough to go around.  Guys like Semi and Larkin’s role from last year (Wanamaker) will get squeezed out. Theis may only play spot minutes for now.

It’s a long season though, injuries will happen, so there will be opportunities for some players to shine more.  What I love is no one player needs to carry the team.  If Tatum has a game like the games he played in the preseason,  no big deal as we have so many weapons that can step up.

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2018, 12:31:03 PM »

Offline mspring

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Losing Ilyasova and Bellinelli this summer really hurt the Sixers. The lack of shooting and the ability to spread the floor was painfully evident for them last night.

I agree and I haven't heard a lot of commentators talking about this.  I thought a major reason for the sixers late run in the regular season and then the playoff before meeting Boston was the fact that they were able to acquire both Ilyasova and Bellinelli who really complemented Simmons, similar to how Cleveland surrounded Lebron with great outside shooters.  I understand they may not have been able to sign these 2 players but they also didn't seem to make any effort to sign similar players. 

Without the outside shooting I believe they have taken a step backwards and will struggle more because teams will be able to sag off and plug up the driving lanes for Simmons.