Author Topic: Five years ago today, our world changed.  (Read 2491 times)

Re: Five years ago today, our world changed.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
You're leaving out some of the best material, the insight of our own!

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=66010.0

Found this tweet scrolling through it (h/t to celticinorlando)

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 3m
That rumored Celtics-Nets trade is so bad for Boston that Doc Rivers just quit on the Celtics again.

I'm gonna give you a TP now just for being the first person (I think) in that old thread to say that the Nets picks might be good

Ha did you really make it through at least 17 pages of that thread?

I am pleasantly surprised to look back and sound like I know what I'm talking about.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=66010.msg1503816#msg1503816

I don't think they'll end up being 3 late first rounders.  Some people seem pretty high on the Nets long term future, I just don't see it.  To me this is a 1-2 year window for the Nets, and the second year is pretty iffy in my book.

Depending on what year the picks are, I could think at least one could actually be pretty good, and another one has a chance of being decent.

[long speculation about what picks might be included and their potential value]

I really think this could be like when the Grizzlies traded a 1st round pick that ended up being #2 in 2003, for 34 year old Otis Thorpe in ’97.

It’s tough to really speculate, as anything could happen.  But I think 2015 could be a decent pick, and any picks after that could be really good.

Basically, I don’t think this will be 3 late first rounders as some are speculating.  Sure it’s a long way off, but this could be huge a few years down the road.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 04:14:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

That rumored Celtics-Nets trade is so bad for Boston that Doc Rivers just quit on the Celtics again.

I'm gonna give you a TP now just for being the first person (I think) in that old thread to say that the Nets picks might be good

I am pleasantly surprised to look back and sound like I know what I'm talking about.

I don't think they'll end up being 3 late first rounders.  Some people seem pretty high on the Nets long term future, I just don't see it.  To me this is a 1-2 year window for the Nets, and the second year is pretty iffy in my book.

Depending on what year the picks are, I could think at least one could actually be pretty good, and another one has a chance of being decent.

I really think this could be like when the Grizzlies traded a 1st round pick that ended up being #2 in 2003, for 34 year old Otis Thorpe in ’97.

It’s tough to really speculate, as anything could happen.  But I think 2015 could be a decent pick, and any picks after that could be really good.

Basically, I don’t think this will be 3 late first rounders as some are speculating.  Sure it’s a long way off, but this could be huge a few years down the road.

Yeah,  I went through that thread earlier and you seemed to be most spot on.  Nice job!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 05:27:08 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I actually went through it all (apparently I'm a masochist)

It's interesting to see how opinions of that trade have changed. Some people were calling it one of the worst things to ever happen to the franchise (an overreaction even then), but now would have to agree that it was a brilliant move

Going through the 2016 draft thread gives similar results
I'm bitter.

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Good for us.   Doc is always as good as his players.

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 07:28:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

I actually went through it all (apparently I'm a masochist)

It's interesting to see how opinions of that trade have changed. Some people were calling it one of the worst things to ever happen to the franchise (an overreaction even then), but now would have to agree that it was a brilliant move

Going through the 2016 draft thread gives similar results

It's interesting to see how many people didn't like the deal because they didn't like the players coming back even though the players were just dead money to get the picks.

There was also a lot of hype for Toko Shengalia, who never wound up in the deal and played 45 games in the NBA total.

The thing I always liked about the trade (not that there's proof, because I wasn't on CB then) was that there was no way Pierce and KG were going to last more than 2 seasons on Brooklyn (I figured they'd retire) which meant the C's would get 2 picks and a swap for seasons after both guys were gone, which I thought was promising.

I never would have guessed Brooklyn was going to flame out so spectacularly, though. I thought for sure they would contend for a year or 2 and then fall off.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008