Author Topic: Josh Beckett Suspended  (Read 2506 times)

Josh Beckett Suspended
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjosPFMj0jqV2yr92x9G7CMRvLYF?slug=ap-redsox-angelssuspensions&prov=ap&type=lgns

Josh Beckett was suspended for 6 games.  He was suspended for not even hitting someone, I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.  Abreu started jawing with him.  To suspend him for this is plain awful.  This is no worse then a brushback pitch of some sort.  Are they going to suspend everyone who throws a pitch that could possibly hit them in the head?  This is ridiculous, I'd be very surprised to not see this suspension over turned.
do it

Re: Josh Beckett Suspended
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:01:52 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Actually, a brushback pitch would be even worse.  Those are intentional.  In this instance, the umpire called time and Beckett already went into his windup.  That's how pitchers can get hurt.  It's unfortunate that the ball almost hit Abreu's head, and I'm sure if Beckett begged for apology there never would've been a bench clearing, but we all know that's not the type of player Beckett is.  He didn't do it on purpose, so he sure wasn't gonna feel sorry for it.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
If this had happened 20-30 years ago, there wouldn't even be an issue here.  And yes, I do understand the "aggressive action" of Beckett after the pitch played a part in the suspension and I still don't agree with it.

Stupid suspension that will most likely get reduced on appeal.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
seems pretty unnecesary/ He didn't even get tossed for it did he?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
seems pretty unnecesary/ He didn't even get tossed for it did he?

No, he didn't.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:27:20 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don't even think the teams were issued a warning.  Not positive on that though.
do it

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:32:33 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
No warning, because the ump knew there was no intent, or history.  When time is called that late, the pitcher many times ends up throwing the ball down into the ground, way high to the backstop or some unnatural thing resulting from trying to stop the pitch.  Beckett simply let it go rather than try to do any of these things or control where it was going. 

He wasn't throwing at Abreu's head, why would he?  It wasn't even that close.  I have no issue with him reacting how he did when Abreu took far more offense then he should have.  Then Sciosca and the rest of the Angels made a mockery of it, carrying on far too much and for too long about it, thus, 4 of them were ejected.  Looks like all of Sciosca's Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing did have an effect.  I prefer Beckett be the bulldog he is, rather than apologizing for something he didn't do intentionally.