Author Topic: Sox Have Expressed Interest in Smoltz  (Read 2466 times)

Sox Have Expressed Interest in Smoltz
« on: December 11, 2008, 10:38:56 AM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/tom_verducci/12/10/verducci.cuts/index.html?eref=T1

The Red Sox have recently expressed interest in John Smoltz and apparently the Sox are one of the only organizations he'd leave the Braves to come play for. Yes he is 42 but before his injury last year Smoltz was pitching extremely well and I think he still has something left in him. It'd likely be a one year deal so the Sox wouldn't have much to lose. I know the chances that he stays in Atlanta are pretty good, but I say they should at least make an offer. A rotation with Daiske, Beckett, Lester and Smoltz could be lethal.

Re: Sox Have Expressed Interest in Smoltz
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:52:17 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He is exactly the type of pitcher they should be looking at.  It would be similar to a Colon signing from last year.  He may not be a top line starter anymore, and may not be able to give them 35 starts, but he could hopefully give them 15 quality starts, and help fill in, as the kids (Bucholtz, Masterson, Bowden) get their feet wet.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:57:33 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Smoltz would be a great pickup for this team.  Consistent, experienced pitcher who thrives in the spotlight.  Perfect fit for the Sox.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 03:03:08 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I'd love to see them get Smoltz.  I'd like to see them go after him hard, he'd be cheap money and he would give them quality innings once healthy.  He still has good stuff and to be honest, if asked, I don't think he'd have an issue going to the bullpen if needed.  Not as a long guy or anything, but he could be quite the solid set up guy for Papelbon.  I know he mentioned last year he'd have no issue going back into the bullpen, not sure if he'd be willing to be just a set up guy though.
do it

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 03:16:02 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I posted this a while ago in a the Sox offseason thread.

The problem with Smoltz really has nothing to do with him.  In order to get him away from the Braves they would have to offer a fairly decent contract.  They couldnt just do straight out incentives, because if he was going to do that, the Braves would offer it.  So it has more risk then the Colon signing which had essentially no risk at all.

I am still for them trying, because he is an amazing pitcher with success coming in every role, but I just dont think it is really realistic.

Edit: He has stated if he comes back this year, he wants to only be a starter.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 10:38:33 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
The only a starter thing semi worries me then.  Though if he could stay healthy, I would think he'd be one of the Red Sox top 5 pitchers so I'm not sure it would be a big issue.
do it

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 10:57:41 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The Yankees get Sabathia and Burnett (and perhaps Pettitte), the Angels get Texiera (probably) and the Sox get Smoltz.

Great offseason for the Sox.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 10:58:54 PM »

Offline Levis107

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 9
If Smoltz has recovered and his healthy he would easily crack the rotation.  Last season he was arguably the best pitcher in baseball through the first month before he was hurt.  Guy's averaged a 3.2 ERA in his last 4 seasons as a starter, 47 wins, and 190 K's a season.  As long as he can pick up where he left off before the injury last year, he would crack our Top 3.