Author Topic: kotsay and lowrie struggling badly  (Read 2512 times)

kotsay and lowrie struggling badly
« on: September 24, 2008, 05:22:25 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
both are striking out and not getting hits. i think they have like 3 hits between them the past week and a half with triple that of strikeouts.

theory has been both players are not starting material. I'm starting to believe that for kotsay but i hope it doesn't come true for lowrie

bucholz, ellsbury early on and now lowrie. Must be rough to be a rookie in the majors

Re: kotsay and lowrie struggling badly
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 05:45:22 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
bucholz, ellsbury early on and now lowrie. Must be rough to be a rookie in the majors

The bolded part is your answer, rookies go through struggles, its part of becoming a major leaguer. Buchholz will be fine, Ellsbury was great early, struggled bad for them iddle of the year and has been great for the last month or so, Lowrie started out great and has struggled as of late, do you see a trend here? The league adjusts to young players and they just need TIME to adjust back, its very tough to be a young player and only the really greato nes dont go through huge prolonged slumps after adjustments. Here are some examples of players who are forced to make adjustments on the way to becoming good players.

Jeff Kent- His rookie year he hit .239 with 11 homers, his next year he hit .270 with 21 homers and then his 3rd year he hit .292.

Roy Halladay- His first full season he went 8-7 with a 3.92 ERA, his next year he was 4-7 with a 10.64 ERa and got send down to SINGLE A, now look at him. Sounds familiar doesnt it?

Jacoby Ellsbury- We saw him play great when he first cme up into this year, leageu adjusted he played like crap and now he seems to have adjusted and looks like a .290-.300 hitter again.

Dustin Pedroia- Remember last year in early May when he was hitting .170? Enough said.

I could go all day with examples of players who struggle early then adjust to the leagues approach to them. The point is you have to learn to be more patient with young players, Lowrie is going through a slump, it happens to even the best of players. It comes with the territory of coming to the majors, you say the theory is that he isnt a everyday player, what theory would that be? He has played good defense at both SS and 3b and even with this slump gets on base at a rate .340 which is 8 points above his batting average. He is a good hitter who is just going throuhg a tough time, i think he will eventually be a .285 hitter with about 12-15 homers a year and a big OBP% guy with solid to good defense..

With Kotsay its not like he is young or anything, he is what he is and thats a average major league player.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:04:42 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 05:59:27 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
good catch smart guy. focus on the topic

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 09:51:59 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
good catch smart guy. focus on the topic

Its completely on the topic, you are worried about Lowrie possibly not being an everyday player, i said you need to be more patient and gave examples of players who are forced to make adjustments to the league and become very good players.

I then gave my opinion on Kotsay, so how exactly was my post not on topic?

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:02:44 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Both of you need to drop it, and give the snide remarks a rest.  Consider this an official warning.