Author Topic: Celtics (11-2) at Wolves (2-8)  (Read 22016 times)

Re: Celtics (11-2) at Wolves (2-8)
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 09:06:10 PM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Why is it that when rondo is off this team stinks...lol maybe we should play every game on TNT...

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 09:08:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Whats with the 2nd unit being on the floor with out at least 1 of the big 3...this didnt happen at all last year..

Doc did that all the time last year, especially toward the end of the season.  Against the weaker teams we'd go all bench right around when we're doing it now.

Still don't like what the bench is doing out there, though...they look disorganized.

We also had James Posey then...I dont think it happened very much last year other than blowouts or after we had already clinched
Posey did one thing on offense. Spot up and shoot threes. He wouldn't have helped that unit one bit.

I loved Pose but the exaggeration of his impact is beginning to drive me batty.

Posey was the leader of the 2nd unit last year, and he did more then spot up and shoot 3s..he was the leader of the 2nd unit defense...but anyways just not very good play out of the celtics tonight, I dont understand why they're not more passionate in this game, theyve been dull against the twolves since last year, even though they've won, they just seem to be on "coast" mode against this team
But we were talking about how the second unit was on offense, and Posey didn't do much more on offense than shoot threes.

Just too many turnovers. We had the same problem last year though. In part its because of all the passing we do, rather than take bad shots we make bad passes. Still need to clean it up.

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Why is it that when rondo is off this team stinks...lol maybe we should play every game on TNT...

It would guarantee getting to see the 3rd quarter.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 09:19:32 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Whats with the 2nd unit being on the floor with out at least 1 of the big 3...this didnt happen at all last year..

Doc did that all the time last year, especially toward the end of the season.  Against the weaker teams we'd go all bench right around when we're doing it now.

Still don't like what the bench is doing out there, though...they look disorganized.

We also had James Posey then...I dont think it happened very much last year other than blowouts or after we had already clinched
Posey did one thing on offense. Spot up and shoot threes. He wouldn't have helped that unit one bit.

I loved Pose but the exaggeration of his impact is beginning to drive me batty.

Posey was the leader of the 2nd unit last year, and he did more then spot up and shoot 3s..he was the leader of the 2nd unit defense...but anyways just not very good play out of the celtics tonight, I dont understand why they're not more passionate in this game, theyve been dull against the twolves since last year, even though they've won, they just seem to be on "coast" mode against this team
But we were talking about how the second unit was on offense, and Posey didn't do much more on offense than shoot threes.

Just too many turnovers. We had the same problem last year though. In part its because of all the passing we do, rather than take bad shots we make bad passes. Still need to clean it up.

Perhaps you are confusing "offense" with "shot selection", no?

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 09:27:46 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Pierce is the only guy playing well. Bad Rondo is back in the first half at least..

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 09:28:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Well I know the difference even if I didn't express it well. I really just meant that I don't believe Posey was a stabilizing force offensively.

The sort of bad passing, bad passing, and poor offensive sets that occurred in the second quarter aren't something a limited offensive player would change much.

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Ray's shots are coming up short tonight too. That hurts.

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Pierce is the only guy playing well. Bad Rondo is back in the first half at least..
Hit a three at least!

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 09:30:06 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Well I know the difference even if I didn't express it well. I really just meant that I don't believe Posey was a stabilizing force offensively.

The sort of bad passing, bad passing, and poor offensive sets that occurred in the second quarter aren't something a limited offensive player would change much.

Posey was a limited scorer in terms of his shot selection. But what he provides offensively - from the spacing to the entry post pass, from the strong screening to the off-ball action - is very important on offensive terms.

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 09:31:46 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Imagine Rondo was a good 3-point shooter.  Sure fire hall of famer.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 09:35:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Posey was a limited scorer in terms of his shot selection. But what he provides offensively - from the spacing to the entry post pass, from the strong screening to the off-ball action - is very important on offensive terms.
True he was a great entry passer. Would have helped maybe get a solid post up with Powe.

But we couldn't even get into our plays with the backups all in. I'm not sure him replacing Scal makes a big difference for this game. Over the course of a season he had a large positive effect though.

Edit: This is off topic but I found the 82games stats on the sort of all bench unit. I might start a separate topic on it. It wasn't very good offensively either. But it could easily end up being better than our version this year!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:43:03 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics

It's funny, we have the Big 3 but he might be the most important player on this team.  When he's on we're almost unbeatable.  He's been better so far in this third quarter and we've been better.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 09:37:55 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Imagine Rondo was a good 3-point shooter.  Sure fire hall of famer.

I'm glad he is looking for that shot. I really hope he takes 3 a night.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2008, 09:43:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
We're racking up too many fouls.....

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 09:46:48 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
I feel like Tommy, I love Leon!