Author Topic: Smart has been given his tryout, and he failed.  (Read 7070 times)

Re: Smart has been given his tryout, and he failed.
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 10:57:48 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Iguodala is a far better player than Smart

Current Iguodala? I’m curious why you think “far better”.
Current version? Probably isn't. But the fact that a 34-year-old Iguodala is not a huge dropoff from Marcus Smart should tell you something.

Well, it depends what your expectations are.

Iggy pretty much decided to forego scoring in return for elite defense and good playmaking. He basically only shoots when wide open or in transition. In doing so, he’s been extremely valuable to a title team.

With a more offensively gifted team, I’m hoping that Marcus can bring the same thing.  He should never take another shot with a defender within arm’s length again.

I’ve never been a big “his contributions don’t show up in the box score” guy, but after very closely watching Iguodala, that changed. He aids an offense even if he’s not scoring or getting assists. He aids a defense even if he’s not getting steals or blocks.

Marcus has that potential. He takes too many dumb shots, but that’s the major thing holding him back.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 11:51:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

"Marcus has [Iggy] potential. He takes too many dumb shots, but that’s the major thing holding him back."   -RH
[/quote]

QOTD
TP

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 12:45:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not even really convinced that Marcus taking a lot of shots hurts the team.

The opponent often defends him as if he is a good shooter even though he's obviously not.  See Matt Moore's work on this for supporting evidence.

I think that's a product of the fact that he occasionally gets hot, and the fact that he shoots with confidence as if he were a good shooter.

In the playoffs, if an opponent gameplans for him and actually has their defenders leave him wide open -- like teams sometimes do to Draymond Green in the playoffs -- he will need to either hit his shots (like Draymond), or adjust.

But in the regular season, if his shooting is spacing the floor by drawing defenders, it's not even that big a deal if the shots don't go in very often, as long as he's not looking off open teammates or shooting super early in the shot clock, which I don't see him do that often.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2018, 12:51:11 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Current version? Probably isn't. But the fact that a 34-year-old Iguodala is not a huge dropoff from Marcus Smart should tell you something.

Yeah, especially because what made Iggy a stud was his quick twitch athleticism. At his age now, he’s lost most of that (but still definitely has some left) so you’d hope this wasn’t even a discussion.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Iggy pretty much decided to forego scoring in return for elite defense and good playmaking. He basically only shoots when wide open or in transition. In doing so, he’s been extremely valuable to a title team.

With a more offensively gifted team, I’m hoping that Marcus can bring the same thing.  He should never take another shot with a defender within arm’s length again.

I’ve never been a big “his contributions don’t show up in the box score” guy, but after very closely watching Iguodala, that changed. He aids an offense even if he’s not scoring or getting assists. He aids a defense even if he’s not getting steals or blocks.

Marcus has that potential. He takes too many dumb shots, but that’s the major thing holding him back.

Smart is so polarizing that the extreme of either opinion of him, whether that of the Smart apologists or views like the OP’s, isn’t painting a fair picture. IMO this post of Roy’s is a really good balance of the truth in each extreme view.

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 12:56:36 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Once Smart get his shooting together he will be a legitimate allstar, which Iguodala has never been

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2018, 12:59:06 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

TP Roy for summing up precisely how I feel about Marcus shooting.  I'd also add that he shouldn't be shooting really early in the shot clock.  There are too many good shooters on this team now to justify his contested shots, but I do think he should remain really aggressive.

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:34:43 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2018, 01:46:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Once Smart get his shooting together he will be a legitimate allstar, which Iguodala has never been

What are your expectations for his shooting?  If he ever got to 45% FG% / 35% 3PT%, I would be thrilled.  Those seem like doable goals, until you look at his splits. He has only shot 45% over the course of a calendar month once in his career.  He’s only shot above 35% 3PT% in four months, and two of them were December / January of his rookie year.

I have a hard time seeing Marcus ever being an efficient all-star level scorer.  I think he’s very far from being considered a top-30 player. I do think he can be a valuable player, however.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2018, 01:50:39 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Once IF Smart get his shooting together LIKE CRAZY he will be a legitimate allstar, which Iguodala has never been

What are your expectations for his shooting?  If he ever got to 45% FG% / 35% 3PT%, I would be thrilled.  Those seem like doable goals, until you look at his splits. He has only shot 45% over the course of a calendar month once in his career.  He’s only shot above 35% 3PT% in four months, and two of them were December / January of his rookie year.

I have a hard time seeing Marcus ever being an efficient all-star level scorer.  I think he’s very far from being considered a top-30 player. I do think he can be a valuable player, however.

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2018, 02:23:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

The more important part is that he should stop jacking it up with 20 seconds on the shot clock.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
To say that Marcus Smart hasn’t improved—generally, as in no facets of his game have improved—is asinine.

Sure his shooting hasn’t gotten better. But you aren’t watching the games, or you’ve got some serious confirmation bias going on, if you think Smart just hasn’t improved whatsoever.
Yeah, that is crazy. His playmaking and decision-making is at a really good level this season (minus that game where he got 7 TO's or whatever)

His TO% is terrible, 2nd worst on the team after Theis.  It's not just one bad game.

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Except that Iggy was an All-Star in 2012 and was an NBA Finals MVP.

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2018, 03:47:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
How on earth did this devolve into a comparison with Iggy? I mean, they are nothing alike. Iggy is much more athletic, even at his advanced age.  And Marcus is more savvy. I think that word captures his best attribute well. 

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2018, 03:55:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
How on earth did this devolve into a comparison with Iggy? I mean, they are nothing alike. Iggy is much more athletic, even at his advanced age.  And Marcus is more savvy. I think that word captures his best attribute well.

Iggy is plenty savvy.

Their roles are — or at least could be — similar.  Iguodala concentrates almost all of his energy on defense, and his primary offensive role is moving the ball.  Both are +/- darlings, and their impact is largely based upon intangibles.

There’s not much of a comparison to Philly Iguodala, but the Iggy that took a bench role with the Dubs? That’s a realistic projection for Smart.