Author Topic: 2013-14 Regular Season  (Read 202918 times)

Re: 2013-14 Regular Season
« Reply #765 on: March 10, 2014, 10:46:25 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Does anybody hate themselves?  Because Hawks/Jazz has huge potential for us.  If the Jazz win, it will push them further ahead of us and it would almost knock the Hawks out of the playoffs.  KG and Pierce are both out now with injuries, so it is more and more plausible that they and the Hawks could both miss the playoffs.  I really want to follow this game but it is going to be terrrrrribbbbbllllleeeee

Forget that second pick, Nets are making the playoffs guaranteed in this weak conference we need a Hawks win here to separate us from the playoffs even further. I'm more concerned about our own pick
although i understand your concern, i'll take my chances this one game so that utah stays above us in the win column

« Reply #766 on: March 12, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
No matter how much they've stuggled this season, Brooklyn has had Miami's number. Pierce tonight has been vintage.

« Reply #767 on: March 12, 2014, 09:56:59 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Brooklyn is making the playoffs, no question.  Any comments otherwise are just silly.

« Reply #768 on: March 12, 2014, 10:08:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Brooklyn is making the playoffs, no question.  Any comments otherwise are just silly.

I really hope they play Miami in the first round.

« Reply #769 on: March 12, 2014, 10:35:08 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Only way that happens if the Nets falter spectacularly down the stretch and drop to 7th or 8th... and considering they've got a very easy schedule to finish off the year and have been the best team in the East in 2014 (seriously, check their record since January 1st - they've actually posted the highest turnaround winning percentage ever for a team that was 10 games or more below .500 entering January), that's as likely to happen as the Sixers making the playoffs.

« Reply #770 on: March 13, 2014, 12:02:53 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188

I really hope they play Miami in the first round.

hoping for a first round meet too. gotta face them heat while still fresh. ;D

« Reply #771 on: March 15, 2014, 05:46:22 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
My few real concerns for the remainder of this year:
1. Celts pick top 5
2. Celts pick ahead of the Lakers
3. Nets pick is no worse than 18.

None of these are certain or even likely.  Lakers are in a ridiculous 4 game stretch playing OKC and SA twice each.  Amazing that they won one of them.  C's had important losses to the Knicks and Suns to keep pace with the Lakers as the Kings moved a game ahed in the win column on both Lakers/Celts.    After San Antonio, LA has some winable games -- we'll see how devoted they are to losing down the stretch.

Looks like the Celts, LA, Utah and Sacramento will be a pack fighting it out for ping-balls and probable draft positions 4 to 7.   Magic would need a win streak to get up into this pack. Knicks with thier current 6-game win streak seem to have  pulled away from this pack.  Actually, Knicks, Pistons and Cavs could be in a fight for an 8th seed if Atlanta has another woeful stretch over the next week or 2.

Nets, Wizards, Bulls, Toronto and possibly Charlotte will be very interesting to watch over the next few weeks.  Nets can finish anywhere from #3 to #7 in the East leaving the Celts with anywhere from the 16th to the 20th pick in the draft.  Remaining schedules are very interesting -- could go any which way. 

« Reply #772 on: March 23, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Sacremento is blowing out the Bucks tonight, the Jazz won last night, and the Lakers are playing the Magic later.

There is hope yet at that 4th spot Celtics fans.

« Reply #773 on: March 24, 2014, 07:50:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sacremento is blowing out the Bucks tonight, the Jazz won last night, and the Lakers are playing the Magic later.

There is hope yet at that 4th spot Celtics fans.

I'm not too worried about being 4th versus finishing in the 5-8 range, except to the extent that it improves our chances at moving up into the top 3 (makes a small difference).

As I see it, the top 3 is pretty set, though the order is unknown.

The next 5 spots are pretty much set, too, but the order, again, is unknown.

Exum, Smart, Randle, Gordon, Vonleh.  That's your 4-8 range, but who knows what the order will be?  I have no idea which of them will end up the best player, though I think all probably have All-Star potential. 

The Celtics will likely get one of them (personally I'd prefer Gordon, followed by Exum and Smart).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #774 on: March 24, 2014, 08:26:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
In light of how the top prospects have played this year and in the tournament, I'm thinking Danny wasn't trying to be misleading by stating he doesn't think the draft class is as good as it's been touted.

really thinking more and more that if he doesn't land one of the top 3 prospects, he trades that first pick for an established player or young player with potential and a lower pick.

« Reply #775 on: March 24, 2014, 08:58:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
In light of how the top prospects have played this year and in the tournament, I'm thinking Danny wasn't trying to be misleading by stating he doesn't think the draft class is as good as it's been touted.
He wasn't trying to be misleading, he was trying to lower expectations of Celtics fans. He didn't want to land a top 3 pick and then have the fanbase screaming for a return to the playoffs.

« Reply #776 on: March 24, 2014, 10:21:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

really thinking more and more that if he doesn't land one of the top 3 prospects, he trades that first pick for an established player or young player with potential and a lower pick.

I've said this before, but . . . who?

This notion gets batted around a lot.  "If we don't get a top 3 pick, Danny will trade the pick for an established player or trade down for a young player with potential."  To me, it seems to be motivated by a desire to find a "quick fix" and a distaste for pinning all our hopes on unproven young players.

Making a move like that might make sense, in theory, but I'm not sure there are any home-run options available as far as that goes.  Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Love come to mind, of course, but I tend to think those names are a little far-fetched.

There are only a couple guys who come to mind as "young players with potential" -- Chandler Parsons and Greg Monroe.  Each of their current teams might consider trading either of them for a top 10 pick in order to avoid paying them in restricted free agency.  But I'd rather see Danny make a play for either of those guys with some of our current assets and future picks.

My impression is that there are probably not any superstars outside of the top 3 in this draft, but that there are still a lot of very talented players with All-Star potential who will be available where the Celtics are likely to be picking.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #777 on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

This notion gets batted around a lot.  "If we don't get a top 3 pick, Danny will trade the pick for an established player or trade down for a young player with potential."  To me, it seems to be motivated by a desire to find a "quick fix" and a distaste for pinning all our hopes on unproven young players.

Making a move like that might make sense, in theory, but I'm not sure there are any home-run options available as far as that goes.  Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Love come to mind, of course, but I tend to think those names are a little far-fetched.

There are only a couple guys who come to mind as "young players with potential" -- Chandler Parsons and Greg Monroe.  Each of their current teams might consider trading either of them for a top 10 pick in order to avoid paying them in restricted free agency.  But I'd rather see Danny make a play for either of those guys with some of our current assets and future picks.

My impression is that there are probably not any superstars outside of the top 3 in this draft, but that there are still a lot of very talented players with All-Star potential who will be available where the Celtics are likely to be picking.
I've been saying this for awhile but not really delving into the options out there.  figure I'll wait to see what Danny actually does rather than spend a lot of time investigating a lot of possibilities that won't happen.

Personally, I think the picks in the 5-8 range (where it looks like we'll land) will be about the same talent level.  Danny may use that to the team's advantage by trading that pick for a young all-star or someone still improving and another pick later in the draft.  use that 1 asset to fill a couple of holes. 

Just to throw out an example.  Say Danny likes Mclemore (I'm not a fan), Sac is souring on him, we have the 5th pick and Sac has pick 8.  Sac may have their eye on say Gordon and is sure he'll be gone by 8.  Danny may be able to get Mclemore, #8 and maybe some other sweetener for #5.  Mclemore could become the starting SG we need (pure speculation for the sake of this discussion) while Danny could take a flyer on Vonleh at #8 to possibly become part of our Center rotation.
Possible Next year:
Rondo, Mclemore, Green, Sully, KO with Pressey, AB, GW, Bass, Vonleh, second #1, Anthony, Fav on the bench (whether Johnson and Babb are here isn't terribly relevant).
The team is young but with a bunch of assets to either develop or deal for better players.  Bass and Anthony are now expiring deals that can be used in deals as well.

« Reply #778 on: March 24, 2014, 10:42:02 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think you'll get someone like McLemore this early into his career for a draft pick like that unless it's a top-three pick, which you probably wouldn't want to trade for Ben McLemore.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #779 on: March 24, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Marc Gasol, (Grizzlies need to blow it up) Greg Monroe, (Redundant with Drummond) Aldridge (Blazers should blow it up to since their franchise is good but directionless) Kevin Love, Carmelo, etc.

Theres a lot of players who could fit the bill.