Author Topic: 2013-14 Regular Season  (Read 202893 times)

Re: 2013-14 Regular Season
« Reply #270 on: December 01, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Also, we're unbelievably 1 game out of a playoff spot in the East now. Our division is truly horrid.

Look further up the standings - we're actually 1/2 game out of the 4 seed  :o
*cringe*

Danny needs to sit Brad down and have a talk.

All this "winning" is cute, but this is not the plan.

They are doing better than what most people who are not me expected because they are 10th in defensive rating as a team (something I thought was possible).

Do you really want to tell Stevens to start sucking at defense?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #271 on: December 01, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Also, we're unbelievably 1 game out of a playoff spot in the East now. Our division is truly horrid.

*cringe*

They are doing better than what most people who are not me expected because they are 10th in defensive rating as a team (something I thought was possible).

We've also had the 11th weakest schedule so far, so expect things to even out. Our defense is not that great.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #272 on: December 01, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

*cringe*

No, I was mostly joking to be honest.

I am adamant that I don't want this team to purposely lose, but I cant say I'd be excited with a low playoff seed and the 16th pick either.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #273 on: December 01, 2013, 08:44:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

*cringe*

I don't think we have any chance to make the playoffs, plan or no plan, but it's entertaining how bad the East is this year.

not sure if i would use the word "entertaining" but i agree that the Leastern conference is perhaps historically putrid.

earlier today, only TWO teams had records above .500 in the entire conference. TWO!

atlanta is in third place at .500. that means if they were in the west they would be tied with two other teams for twelfth place. meaning only THREE teams in the entire western conference would have a worse w/l record than atlanta, the Leastern's third place team.

don't even look at the w/l record between the two conferences. take away indiana and miami and i think the Leastern conference is something under .300.

and just when the celtics were jockeying for a great position in the draft. sigh.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #274 on: December 01, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

*cringe*

No, I was mostly joking to be honest.

I am adamant that I don't want this team to purposely lose, but I cant say I'd be excited with a low playoff seed and the 16th pick either.

I am genuinely excited that this team might just need the acquisition of a defensive anchor center and some time to develop (and for Rondo to heal) to be the sort of team that can be a top five defense paired with an average offense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #275 on: December 01, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think this is overly optimistic. At least until Sullinger demonstrates that he can stay in shape, play big minutes every night, not average 5 fouls per 40, and that his back isn't an issue anymore (all these are legitimate concerns). h, and stay off the three, because it clearly isn't his shot. And even so, I'm a bit skeptical about whether an offense, spearheaded by Rondo/Green/Sullinger can be league average.

I think what we need is a real two-way big man, who can push everyone in our big man rotation where they belong (that is, one notch down). Then again, who in the NBA doesn't need that.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #276 on: December 01, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Looks like Anthony Davis broke his hand.

« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I think what we need is a real two-way big man, who can push everyone in our big man rotation where they belong (that is, one notch down). Then again, who in the NBA doesn't need that.

How many of those are available in the 2014 draft?

« Reply #278 on: December 01, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

*cringe*

You must have awfully long arms to pat yourself on the back so effortlessly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #279 on: December 01, 2013, 11:13:59 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Yeah it was a fracture.  No timetable yet for when he could be back.

Unfortunate.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #280 on: December 01, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Just...wow...The Knicks lost again, 3-13...

If you were to tell me the Knicks and Nets would be worse than us this season Id think you were insane. Also we are now second in our division...Unbelievable.

The Knicks have to be looking to do something...Fire their coach...make a huge trade...idk. If I were them I'd honestly trade Carmelo Anthony, because there is no way he is staying if things dont miraculously turn around.

« Reply #281 on: December 01, 2013, 11:36:37 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Just...wow...The Knicks lost again, 3-13...

If you were to tell me the Knicks and Nets would be worse than us this season Id think you were insane. Also we are now second in our division...Unbelievable.

The Knicks have to be looking to do something...Fire their coach...make a huge trade...idk. If I were them I'd honestly trade Carmelo Anthony, because there is no way he is staying if things dont miraculously turn around.

Yeah I've been thinking it's a lock for him to stay in NY but if they're this bad all bets are off.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #282 on: December 02, 2013, 12:01:37 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64

tough break (no pun intended) for him
he's having a monster of a season and now this  :(
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #283 on: December 02, 2013, 01:31:41 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Pretty sure things will regress to normal by the all star break. The Knicks and Nets will settle, at least two of the Wizards, Bucks, and the Pistons will  get into a grove, maybe even the Cavs get their stuff together, and before you know it the Eastern Conference will stop looking like its been jacked by D League rosters.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #284 on: December 02, 2013, 07:03:27 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

*cringe*

We've also had the 11th weakest schedule so far, so expect things to even out. Our defense is not that great.

Does schedule strength include back to backs and such?

November was supposed to be a tough, tough month.

I'm quite thoroughly impressed. The DRtg is likely skewed due to sample size and other factors but I think the defense at least somewhat effective (with Brandon Bass apparently being one of the best defensive players in terms of PPP and our wing defenders playing good D).