Poll

If the Bucks lose the Heat series, would you want Ainge to try and trade for Giannis?

Yes (do what ever it takes to get Giannis)
5 (8.1%)
Yes (but Tatum is off limits)
10 (16.1%)
Yes (but Tatum & Brown are off limits)
17 (27.4%)
No (try in free agency)
2 (3.2%)
No (stay the course with our core)
25 (40.3%)
No (Giannis won’t leave Milwaukee)
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: If Bucks lose, do you chase The Greek Freak?  (Read 8694 times)

Re: If Bucks lose, do you chase The Greek Freak?
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2020, 01:38:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I didn't want to start a new thread for a random idea. Here it is: if the Bucks can't/won't get Paul, could they get Westbrook? Bledsoe-Lopez-Illyasova-Divencenzo is enough salary. The Bucks would have Westbrook-Giannis-Middleton-Hill-Matthews. Just a random idea. I think the Rockets will shake things up after this year.
I'm not sure about this straight up, but what about:

Houston receives: Brogdon + Turner

Milwaukee receives: Westbrook

Indiana receive: Bledsoe + DiVincenzo + Lopez + Ilyasova + 1st round pick

Houston get an efficient combo guard and a rim protecting stretch 5. Milwaukee get a big 3. Indiana shed Turner, who has been a relative failure, and bring in some genuine experience + a promising young guard and their own first round pick.

I don't really think putting a non shooting point guard out there with Giannis is the best move, if anything you'd probably wnat to package Bledsoe and the first for another really good shooter.
Agreed. I think Hill's good enough to start at PG next to Middleton and Giannis - he's a serviceable ballhandler and a good shooter. I would trade Bledsoe for a guard like Eric Gordon tbh.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2020, 02:37:53 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
If I were the Celtics, No, I would not chase Giannis in a trade. We would be giving up half our team for the guy and then we would be just like the Bucks are now, not enough top end talent to win in the playoffs. We probably need a couple of other pieces to be strong contenders each year, but we have plenty of forwards/wings.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2020, 08:21:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
If I were the Celtics, No, I would not chase Giannis in a trade. We would be giving up half our team for the guy and then we would be just like the Bucks are now, not enough top end talent to win in the playoffs. We probably need a couple of other pieces to be strong contenders each year, but we have plenty of forwards/wings.

Heat would be in same postion and Raptors , they would have to,give up 2-4 best players and Giannis would be back to same problem as Bucks .   No other super star.  Not sur e either team is loaded with 1 st round picks or lotto picks .  Its gonna take 3-4 first s min.  unless your sending a Harden or Thompson , Lillard typ player .   He could wind up on a team with a less than the bucks overall really easy .   OKC is rich and could start all,over with a new team around Giannis.

Only a handful of teams have someone that is close who is not old and would still,be top 10-15 caliber. 

Giannis + Sheph Curry would be a great pair for Warriors .

other wise it will take like 6 first and several good players ....maybe OKC has that many pics.

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2020, 09:29:41 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Don’t think we can afford him..Walker, Smart & Brown has sign long contracts..Tatum will be next..rather kept this group then trade a lot for him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2020, 09:50:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
This team is in the conference finals without him.

They have an excellent shot at making and even winning the finals without him

Why would you want to gut your roster to get him?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2020, 10:08:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Problem with Giannis. is no superstar is gonna leave a big market to join him . Most super stars want him to come to the big market teams .   If he wants to win a ring , he ll have to leave.   Only the rare senaro like Raptors snagging Kawhi for one year yelding a championship might happen , but chances he ll be just like KG and never have enough ....Bron left for Heat to finally seal the deal.

I agree with Steven A ....the NBA needs the superstars that stay in the east too for competition sake and fans sake . 

Bucks drop off too much if Giannis can't play ,  they would be fighting for a playoff spot IMO .  Those Lopezs are about cooked and will,be worse next year ,  a pair of Mark Gasols. I don't see young talent there like Tatum and Brown who will be stars or Stars coming to Bucks .  Writing is on the wall for him to leave.  if he cares about rings.  New orleans might be a good place to land .
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 10:18:28 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2020, 12:43:08 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Agreed.

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2020, 02:19:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Agreed.

I agree as well.  But, I wonder if Jaylen + picks would get it done if Giannis demanded a trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2020, 02:35:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Agreed.

I agree as well.  But, I wonder if Jaylen + picks would get it done if Giannis demanded a trade.

I love our team and think we have a bright future (and even present!); but, if the Bucks were willing to trade Giannis to us and he was willing to sign an extension with us after the trade, then a deal around Brown, Smart (this would hurt), and picks would beat out almost any other team's offer and also leave us with a pretty amazing roster.

Imagine moving forward with Giannis, Tatum, Kemba, and Hayward(?) as our core. We would be favored to win the championship every year. That is at least as good as the Warriors team the last few years.

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2020, 02:42:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Agreed.

I love our team and think we have a bright future (and even present!); but, if the Bucks were willing to trade Giannis to us and he was willing to sign an extension with us after the trade, then a deal around Brown, Smart (this would hurt), and picks would beat out almost any other team's offer and also leave us with a pretty amazing roster.

Imagine moving forward with Giannis, Tatum, Kemba, and Hayward(?) as our core. We would be favored to win the championship every year. That is at least as good as the Warriors team the last few years.

Would adding Smart even be necessary?  Jaylen is an all-star level two way player on a bargain contract.  I haven’t given it a ton of thought, but how many contending teams beat JB straight up?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2020, 02:54:11 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I love our guys, but if the Bucks would accept Brown + Smart for Giannis, you do that without a second thought. Kemba + Tatum + Hayward + Giannis is a crazy core of players.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2020, 03:08:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Agreed.

I think it depends on what MIL wants. Jaylen is a good player, him plus what the bucks already have is a playoff team in the east which means you aren't getting bad enough to bottom out for premium draft picks. Its possible they'd prefer a straight draft pick trade, or at least guys with time still on their rookie deal. Like GSW offering #2, plus their wolves pick, plus either Wiggin or Dray for salary may be preferable.

But honestly i dont think it matters, the Bucks trade Giannis it might be 20 years before they have as good a shot at a title as they will next year even if they bring back roughly the same team. That, combined with Giannis saying all the right things, leads me to believe there's almost no chance he's going anywhere. Think Durant back in 2016.

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2020, 01:00:03 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Apparently the Bucks' ownership told Giannis they were "willing to spend" on a supporting cast.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29885281/sources-bucks-tell-giannis-antetokounmpo-spend-build-him

That's desperation talk for, "We will trade for an overpaid, washed up 'star' just so you can watch him go down with an injury and go into next playoffs with an even worse supporting cast. Then, in two years, between your mega-salary, Middleton's overpaid contract, and that washed up star, we won't have any money left to even offer a regular MLE. Good luck with that supporting cast!"
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:07:59 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2020, 01:24:06 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Apparently the Bucks' ownership told Giannis they were "willing to spend" on a supporting cast.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29885281/sources-bucks-tell-giannis-antetokounmpo-spend-build-him

That's desperation talk for, "We will trade for an overpaid, washed up 'star' just so you can watch him go down with an injury and go into next playoffs with an even worse supporting cast. Then, in two years, between your mega-salary, Middleton's overpaid contract, and that washed up star, we won't have any money left to even offer a regular MLE. Good luck with that supporting cast!"

How many supermax players are there?  It said his contract will be 35% of their salary cap.  Seems like a real impediment to building a decent supporting cast.  Have any teams (outside of GS with Curry) had sustained success with a super max player on their roster?

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

how though? with a flat cap it will be even more difficult

Bucks could try to trade Bledsoe and Hill. But TBH they are not attractive players

Maybe its just talk/posturing.  Can't see how Bucks can really improve cast without that legit #2 or 2a