Poll

If the Bucks lose the Heat series, would you want Ainge to try and trade for Giannis?

Yes (do what ever it takes to get Giannis)
5 (8.1%)
Yes (but Tatum is off limits)
10 (16.1%)
Yes (but Tatum & Brown are off limits)
17 (27.4%)
No (try in free agency)
2 (3.2%)
No (stay the course with our core)
25 (40.3%)
No (Giannis won’t leave Milwaukee)
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: If Bucks lose, do you chase The Greek Freak?  (Read 8737 times)

Re: If Bucks lose, do you chase The Greek Freak?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2020, 06:50:13 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
These friends are avid Warriors fans from San Francisco
They are convinced Giannis takes a pay cut like Durrant because he wants a championship ring
So basically you've heard from several Warriors fans that Giannis will sign for their team. Going by this logic, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of fans of other teams who are convinced that Giannis will sign for the Lakers/Knicks/Heat/Mavs/Raps/(feel free to insert any team you want).

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2020, 08:50:10 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
There were also a couple of internet rumours

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/why-warriors-have-best-potential-giannis-antetokounmpo-trade-offer

https://clutchpoints.com/3-best-trade-offers-the-warriors-can-make-for-bucks-superstar-giannis-antetokounmpo/

These are hardly rumors. The fact that 3 of the 4 deals include Wiggins as the major player going out (the 4th at least included Klay) should speak volumes. I understand that the #2 pick has value, but people are about as excited at the top of this draft as they were in 2013 - when coincidentally, Giannis went at #15 and Anthony Bennett went #1.

I would have to think that if Giannis became available and was willing to commit to his new team, then a number of teams would be willing to give up quite a bit. The above deal with Klay and the #2 is a million times better than the other deals and that is the minimum of what I would expect to have to give up for Giannis.

Either way, I do expect Giannis to sign his 5 year supermax - it's just too much money to pass up on. I assume he would have a conversation with management about how if it doesn't work out, they would be willing to deal him after a couple of years. At that point, the package would have to be pretty amazing with him being locked up long-term.

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2020, 09:12:27 AM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/why-warriors-have-best-potential-giannis-antetokounmpo-trade-offer

https://clutchpoints.com/3-best-trade-offers-the-warriors-can-make-for-bucks-superstar-giannis-antetokounmpo/

These are hardly rumors. The fact that 3 of the 4 deals include Wiggins as the major player going out (the 4th at least included Klay) should speak volumes. I understand that the #2 pick has value, but people are about as excited at the top of this draft as they were in 2013 - when coincidentally, Giannis went at #15 and Anthony Bennett went #1.

I would have to think that if Giannis became available and was willing to commit to his new team, then a number of teams would be willing to give up quite a bit. The above deal with Klay and the #2 is a million times better than the other deals and that is the minimum of what I would expect to have to give up for Giannis.

Either way, I do expect Giannis to sign his 5 year supermax - it's just too much money to pass up on. I assume he would have a conversation with management about how if it doesn't work out, they would be willing to deal him after a couple of years. At that point, the package would have to be pretty amazing with him being locked up long-term.

The Bucks are underachievers in the playoffs. Giannis won't hang around if they are swept by the HEAT. Budenholzer has been found wanting TWICE in the playoffs. Giannis doesn't want to stay for more of the same.
If Giannis really covets a championship ring and doesn't believe that is possible at Bucks he will move to a realistic contender like warriors.

The big question then is are warriors prepared to give up Klay Thompson to get it done

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2020, 09:21:12 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The Bucks are underachievers in the playoffs. Giannis won't hang around if they are swept by the HEAT. Budenholzer has been found wanting TWICE in the playoffs. Giannis doesn't want to stay for more of the same.
If Giannis really covets a championship ring and doesn't believe that is possible at Bucks he will move to a realistic contender like warriors.

The big question then is are warriors prepared to give up Klay Thompson to get it done

Perhaps, but if I'm the Bucks, I prefer 23 y/o Jaylen Brown to 30 y/o Klay Thompson. The #2 pick more than closes the gap, but this isn't considered your typical #2 draft pick. I imagine Giannis would have no problem committing to the Cs.

Also of note, Giannis' supermax extension is projected to be somewhere in the range of 5yrs/$250M. That would be really difficult to pass up.

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2020, 09:30:25 AM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237

Perhaps, but if I'm the Bucks, I prefer 23 y/o Jaylen Brown to 30 y/o Klay Thompson. The #2 pick more than closes the gap, but this isn't considered your typical #2 draft pick. I imagine Giannis would have no problem committing to the Cs.

Also of note, Giannis' supermax extension is projected to be somewhere in the range of 5yrs/$250M. That would be really difficult to pass up.

Will that kind of money still be available in a Covid situation with no fans
250M is a huge whack I also don't want to break up the JB JT partnership

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2020, 09:41:59 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Steph Curry is 32. Giannis is under contract for next year too. If he wants to control where he goes, he has to wait. If Giannis want to go there, fine. I don't worry about the Warriors.

Tatum and Brown like each other, they compliment each other, and they have already shown they are mentally able to play under intense pressure. As we sit, they are 22 and 23 and we are the second most likely team to win the title. Unless we can somehow get Giannis without giving them up, talk of trading either guy is crazy.

I'm not worried about anyone. We've got two guys who can defend anyone and can score on anyone. There just isn't another pair that can do that in the league, except Leonard/George, and that's who we will be playing in a few weeks. Our guys will be better than them by next year. It's time to realize we have the best future of any team in the league.

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2020, 09:44:55 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
I  think Giannis wants a ring really bad, but I doubt he is ready to make financial sacrifices for it.

He wants recognition and given his life journey, I think money matters in his thought process too.

But that's just my feeling :)

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2020, 11:59:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I  think Giannis wants a ring really bad, but I doubt he is ready to make financial sacrifices for it.

He wants recognition and given his life journey, I think money matters in his thought process too.

But that's just my feeling :)

That is way i don't think he ignores the supermax or does 1+1 like Lebron.

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2020, 12:25:54 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Giannis is the reigning MVP and DPOY. He's the best Buck since Kareem. Here's the list of players I'd trade him for:

Luka

That's it. That's my list. If I were the Bucks, I'd much rather risk losing Giannis for nothing in 2021 than trade him.

Imo, the Bucks need a player who can create his own shot in the clutch. The Heat got Butler, the Celtics got Tatum, the Clips got Kawhi, the Blazers got Lillard + CJ. The Bucks got nobody. Giannis ain't a good shooter. Middleton ain't a good enough shot creator.

They can't find this guy in free agency. Not for the MLE anyway. Chances are they won't find him in the draft either. Even if they strike gold, the vast majority of rookies need time to develop. Giannis is about to hit free agency next season. They don't have the time to be developing rookies.

The way I see it, the Bucks need to make a trade for a closer. Problem is, these guys are special talents, hence they won't come cheap. Realistically speaking, I can think of only 2 potential targets: CJ McCollum and Bradley Beal. I believe CJ is a very realistic target, assuming the Bucks are willing to sacrifice Middleton in the process.

Bucks in: CJ + #16
Blazers in: Middleton

https://tradenba.com/trades/0OMtLECab

CJ and Middleton are practically the same age, plus they've both signed a big contract till 2024. I included #16 cause Middleton is a 2-way player, whereas CJ leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive side of the ball.

Why for the Bucks:
- I already expanded on this. Imo, they need a closer. McCollum is one of the most clutch players around the league. I reckon he'd be a terrific second option next to Giannis.
- Fwiw, the Bucks would save $17,542,400 in salary over the next 4 years.

Why for the Blazers:
- CJ is a bad fit next ro Lillard. They are both below average defenders.
- They have a promising 3+D Shooting Guard in Gary Trent Jr.
- Middleton would be a massive upgrade for them over Ariza/Melo.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 12:47:10 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2020, 10:06:26 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I didn't want to start a new thread for a random idea. Here it is: if the Bucks can't/won't get Paul, could they get Westbrook? Bledsoe-Lopez-Illyasova-Divencenzo is enough salary. The Bucks would have Westbrook-Giannis-Middleton-Hill-Matthews. Just a random idea. I think the Rockets will shake things up after this year.

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2020, 10:10:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I didn't want to start a new thread for a random idea. Here it is: if the Bucks can't/won't get Paul, could they get Westbrook? Bledsoe-Lopez-Illyasova-Divencenzo is enough salary. The Bucks would have Westbrook-Giannis-Middleton-Hill-Matthews. Just a random idea. I think the Rockets will shake things up after this year.

Overall, this could be a very wild offseason. Lots of teams may be willing to shake things up (Blazers, Bucks, Rockets, Sixers, etc.). Maybe some of these teams actually make star-player swaps or something too depending on fits and contract(s).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2020, 10:27:46 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Overall, this could be a very wild offseason. Lots of teams may be willing to shake things up (Blazers, Bucks, Rockets, Sixers, etc.). Maybe some of these teams actually make star-player swaps or something too depending on fits and contract(s).
I was wondering if it would be IND/MWE trading partners. They have a history together.
Oladipo and Sabonis for Giannis and a filler.
Works for both teams:
Bucks get 2 all stars which they have a shot of retaining ( offer 5yr max to Dipo and he stays).
Pacers get a crack at being top contenders for one season while trading away a star that is unhappy but injured and another star that is slightly redundant at his position and injury prone.

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2020, 12:45:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm not sure about this straight up, but what about:

Houston receives: Brogdon + Turner

Milwaukee receives: Westbrook

Indiana receive: Bledsoe + DiVincenzo + Lopez + Ilyasova + 1st round pick

Houston get an efficient combo guard and a rim protecting stretch 5. Milwaukee get a big 3. Indiana shed Turner, who has been a relative failure, and bring in some genuine experience + a promising young guard and their own first round pick.

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2020, 12:58:10 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I'm not sure about this straight up, but what about:

Houston receives: Brogdon + Turner

Milwaukee receives: Westbrook

Indiana receive: Bledsoe + DiVincenzo + Lopez + Ilyasova + 1st round pick

Houston get an efficient combo guard and a rim protecting stretch 5. Milwaukee get a big 3. Indiana shed Turner, who has been a relative failure, and bring in some genuine experience + a promising young guard and their own first round pick.

I don't really think putting a non shooting point guard out there with Giannis is the best move, if anything you'd probably wnat to package Bledsoe and the first for another really good shooter.