Poll

If the Bucks lose the Heat series, would you want Ainge to try and trade for Giannis?

Yes (do what ever it takes to get Giannis)
5 (8.1%)
Yes (but Tatum is off limits)
10 (16.1%)
Yes (but Tatum & Brown are off limits)
17 (27.4%)
No (try in free agency)
2 (3.2%)
No (stay the course with our core)
25 (40.3%)
No (Giannis won’t leave Milwaukee)
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: If Bucks lose, do you chase The Greek Freak?  (Read 8699 times)

If Bucks lose, do you chase The Greek Freak?
« on: September 03, 2020, 05:12:12 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Given Milwaukee’s struggles again in the playoffs and with a surprisingly old core around Giannis and no other really tradable assets, it would be interesting if Giannis turns down a supermax this off-season would front office of the Bucks be forced to entertain offers for the MVP to avoid a LeBron Cavs 2010 scenario and get something other than picks back.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:20:50 PM by shut_the_gate »

Re: If Bucks lose, do you chase The Greek Freak?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 05:28:55 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Where is the "How?" option?

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 05:29:32 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Posted this in the other thread. I don't know about chasing him, but I think you definitely give the Bucks a call.

The Celtics cap situation gets pretty difficult if you make Hayward the main salary you trade back. It'd probably need to be Walker or Brown. It would stink to lose either of them.

Still, the Cs can offer a similar package to what the George trades, Butler trades, Davis trade, or Leonard trade got.

For example, just look at the Leonard trade:
Hayward is roughly equal value to DeRozan on a shorter contract. I know DeRozan averaged bigger numbers, but their impact on the court is pretty similar when it comes down to it. Rob Williams is similar value to a player like Poetl.

Or, to look at it differently, take the Clippers trade for Paul George:
Hayward and Gallinari are similar values.
Shai is probably a better prospect than the Cs offer, but they could offer Williams and Langford.
Pick 14 in this year's draft will be a better pick than any pick the Thunder got from the Clippers. Plus, the Cs can offer more picks and swaps.

Or how about Davis?
Ingram is a pretty high upside player. Jaylen Brown is probably similar value (that would hurt me). Honestly, Hart and Ball from a year ago are pretty similar value to Williams and Langford at this point. The picks the Cs could offer are not quite as good as the initial ones that the Pelicans got from the Lakers, but the Cs could offer something similar in overall value of draft picks.

On top of all of that, Giannis will probably have a limited number of teams he would actually be ok going to. The Warriors could be one of those teams, but would the Bucks really rather have Wiggins and 2 over the Cs trade package? The Raptors look pretty decent, but is their roster really better than the Bucks, especially once the Raptors include all the players they'd need to in order to make the trade happen? The Heat could be a real wild card with Herro, Nunn, and their middle-tier contract rotation guys, but again, their draft capital is limited. The Nuggets could be a really interesting possibility because of their mix of middle-tier contract rotation guys and young talent like Porter Jr., Bol, Morris, and Murray.

All I'm saying that if Ainge placed a call, I would think the Cs would at least be in the mix. But before we get ahead of ourselves, let's make sure this roster isn't a championship roster first. ;)

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 05:36:34 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Of course I'd want us to trade for Giannis (assuming he'd want to re-sign with the C's). I bet the whole league would want to trade for Giannis. Problem is, the Bucks have zero incentive to trade Giannis unless they know for sure that he plans to walk in 2021.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:44:51 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Idk how they'd even be able to. Maybe convince the Bucks to take back Hayward or something in a package?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 05:45:22 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Danny didn’t offer any of the Js for Kawhi.
Kawhi = championship (s)
Giannis =\= championship
No way he offers the Js to the bucks .
If bucks don’t view Hayward as the playmaker and shot maker they desperately need ... we can easily be outbid even if we offer 3 picks from this draft and maybe one future pick.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 05:50:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If he asked for a trade you could be in the hunt if you offered Brown, TL and two first.

I'd do it.

Walker, Smart, Tatum, Giannis, Theis

Yikes!

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 06:01:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He'd have to want to come here. We stayed away from Kawhi and AD because Danny knew that they were likely not going to stay.

If Giannis wanted to come here, and Milwaukee was definitely going to trade him (leaving us unable to pursue him in FA) I'd go after him pretty hard. I'd start out with Hayward + our two most promising youngsters + 3 1st round picks. I think taking an ageing Brook Lopez off the hands of Milwaukee could help too, as he's 32 and is contracted until the end of the 2022-23 season.

If they rejected that, I'd very cautiously look at offering JB, but I'd include a lot less compensation otherwise. JB is a legitimate All-Star talent on a long contract
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 06:21:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
He'd have to want to come here. We stayed away from Kawhi and AD because Danny knew that they were likely not going to stay.

If Giannis wanted to come here, and Milwaukee was definitely going to trade him (leaving us unable to pursue him in FA) I'd go after him pretty hard. I'd start out with Hayward + our two most promising youngsters + 3 1st round picks. I think taking an ageing Brook Lopez off the hands of Milwaukee could help too, as he's 32 and is contracted until the end of the 2022-23 season.

If they rejected that, I'd very cautiously look at offering JB, but I'd include a lot less compensation otherwise. JB is a legitimate All-Star talent on a long contract
I'd take just one year and hope to win it and/or convince him to stay.

As I said above even if it costed Brown, TL and a couple of first. For a possible two time MVP in his prime, that price is a bargain. It's on the team to win or get him to stay. Raptors don't regret trading for KL.

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 06:27:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'd take just one year and hope to win it and/or convince him to stay.

As I said above even if it costed Brown, TL and a couple of first. For a possible two time MVP in his prime, that price is a bargain. It's on the team to win or get him to stay. Raptors don't regret trading for KL.
You're right, the Raps don't. I just think given we're pretty clearly a legitimate title contender already I wouldn't throw that away for just the one year with Giannis. If Toronto had been an actual contender rather than a year-in year-out pretender they probably don't make that trade

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 06:30:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why?

Do you see how the Celtics are set up for the foreseeable future right now?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 06:39:30 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If Giannis wanted to come here, and Milwaukee was definitely going to trade him (leaving us unable to pursue him in FA) I'd go after him pretty hard.
We cannot pursue him in free agency anyway. Theoretically, I guess we can dump Kemba to a team with cap space, but we all know this is highly unlikely to happen.

Let's say Kemba to the Knicks for #8 + one more future first. No need to match salaries. The Knicks can absorb Kemba's contract via their cap space.

- Draft Haliburton at #8.
- Start Marcus at PG.
- Let Hayward + Theis + Kanter walk in 2021.
- Go after Giannis (/whomever else you like) in free agency.

Anyway, this is fantasy land right now. :P

I mean, I believe it's probably fair value for Kemba, but I bet Danny would never pull the trigger.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 01:19:06 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 06:40:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
If Giannis wanted to come here, and Milwaukee was definitely going to trade him (leaving us unable to pursue him in FA) I'd go after him pretty hard.
We cannot persue him in free agency anyway. Theoretically, I guess we can dump Kemba to a team with cap space, but we all know this is highly unlikely to happen.

Let's say Kemba to the Knicks for #8 + their 2021 first. No need to match salaries. The Knicks can absorb Kemba's contract via their cap space.

Draft Haliburton at #8. Start Marcus at PG. Go after Giannis (/whomever else you like) in 2021.

Anyway, this is fantasy land right now. :P

I mean, I believe it's probably fair value for Kemba, but I bet Danny would never pull the trigger.
Yeah, it would be lunacy to give up Kemba unless Giannis was a sure thing really. Fantasy land is fun.

I doubt Giannis ends up in Celtic green. Probably ends up in Dallas or Miami if he wants out

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 06:50:16 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Why?

Celtics aren't my concern it's the league.
What if Giannis ends up with Heat or Hawks how are our chances then? Or if KD and Irving return to form with a gritty Nets team? Or if Warriors deal the 2nd pick for Embiid or another star? Or Lakers get that third star?

League can change really quick. I'd go after the MVP talent. 

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 06:59:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why?

Celtics aren't my concern it's the league.
What if Giannis ends up with Heat or Hawks how are our chances then? Or if KD and Irving return to form with a gritty Nets team? Or if Warriors deal the 2nd pick for Embiid or another star? Or Lakers get that third star?

League can change really quick. I'd go after the MVP talent.

We already have a "closing in on fast" MVP talent plus depth.   No need to gut that to bring in Giannis.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team