Author Topic: Tennis Thread  (Read 126322 times)

Re: Men's Tennis dominated by 3 or 4 men
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Down goes Djokovic.  Federer looked like the player from a few years ago.  If Federer beats Tsonga/Murray to win Wimbledon he will again be the top ranked player in the world, which is huge as it means he would likely only have to beat one of Djokovic and Nadal to win the US Open (tennis and there asinine seeding rules doesn't guarantee it). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 07:09:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Novak Djokovic plays Rafael Nadal in the French Open Quarters tomorrow.  Novak has started the year 39-2, won the Australian and the 4 Masters events he has entered.  If he beats Nadal, which is favored to do, he will undoubtedly win the French and will be the heavy favorite at Wimbledon and the US Open.  If that happens he will have the greatest single season in Tennis History and will solidify his place among the best players ever and make a real claim that he belongs at the top.

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It seems like it's down to two.  I'd love to see Federer win one more major before it's all said and done, but it doesn't seem likely.

Pulling for Djokovic in tomorrow's big match against Nadal.  Everyone seems to be pegging Novak as the favorite, but Raffa's won nine out the last ten French Opens.  I wouldn't count him out. 

Murray's on the fringes.  It would be cool to see Joe Willie Tsonga win one before his home crowd, but I'm not counting on anybody beating one of the two heavyweights. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 08:16:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Andre Agassi was on MadDog Sports yesterday and said he thinks it is more likely that Djokovic beats Nadal in straight sets than Nadal beating Djokovic.  Said he has never seen someone play as well and be as dominate as Novak and expects him to win the Grand Slam.  Some high praise from an all time great.

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Going for the Joker to beat Nadal,
Amazing that Nadal has only lost once at the French in all these years.
I think Murray has a good chance to win either Wimbledon or the U.S Open this year.

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Andre Agassi was on MadDog Sports yesterday and said he thinks it is more likely that Djokovic beats Nadal in straight sets than Nadal beating Djokovic.  Said he has never seen someone play as well and be as dominate as Novak and expects him to win the Grand Slam.  Some high praise from an all time great.

I've been seeing that sentiment all over the tennis coverage from all the experts.  I hope Novak's not listening to all that hype. 

I mean, seriously, is there any way Raphael Nadal can ever have the status as the "underdog" at the French Open? 

Raffa, on the other hand, is probably listening to every word of the hype about how Djokovic is going to give him a beating this year. 

Can't wait.  When's this thing start.  I just tuned in to ESPN to see Serena crushing some poor soul. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 08:52:53 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This question always comes up around the bon fire...Who was more dominant at their own sport...Federer or Tiger?
Djokovic (with a little bit more time) :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 08:57:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
On a side note, anyone else think lebron and federer kind of look alike?

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 08:57:32 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I'd rather be watching Baczynsky vs. Uttvangt (however you spell their names) right now. 

That's a cool story.  A couple of kids off the street playing to get to the French Open Semi Finals. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
On a side note, anyone else think lebron and federer kind of look alike?

Federer is a 'roid freak. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
This question always comes up around the bon fire...Who was more dominant at their own sport...Federer or Tiger?
Definitely interesting seeing how much has changed in the 3 years since I started this thread (and how much hasn't changed as those 4 are still pretty darn dominate).  Now there is legitimate talk of Novak Djokovic going down as the greatest tennis player ever.  Murray finally broke through.  Nadal still wins the French every year.  Federer keeps on making it to semis and finals, though winning is much less frequent.

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 09:09:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Definitely interesting seeing how much has changed in the 3 years since I started this thread (and how much hasn't changed as those 4 are still pretty darn dominate).  Now there is legitimate talk of Novak Djokovic going down as the greatest tennis player ever.  Murray finally broke through.  Nadal still wins the French every year.  Federer keeps on making it to semis and finals, though winning is much less frequent.
Wow, I didn't realize this thread is so old. Nice necro :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 09:13:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Isn't this the way it's been in tennis for a long time. I mean sometimes it's dominated by just two guys right? At one point wasn't it all Sampras/Agassi with a  tad bit of Chang?

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 09:16:51 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Isn't this the way it's been in tennis for a long time. I mean sometimes it's dominated by just two guys right? At one point wasn't it all Sampras/Agassi with a  tad bit of Chang?

Correct. The difference between now and a few years ago is that Federer is old(er), Nadal is playing poorly even on Clay, and Djoko is on a level all by himself right now. Before you could point to three or four guys that were all grouped, more or less, and the talented youngsters coming up behind them, but the young guns haven't managed to accomplish much in the grand scheme of things.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Back when Sampras and Agassi were dominating the game, you'd always see some other guys break through and win one every once in a while, particularly at the French . . . until Nadal came around and just decided to win all of them. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers: