Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 117093 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2020, 08:48:17 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I'm leaning towards adding another J to the team.

Jalen Smith

He had a disappointing freshman year but bounce back well. C's need a big that has offense potential and is still athletic enough with size for modern NBA. A guy to develop incase we don't resign Theis in 2021.

At 14?
Yes at 14. If Toppin can go top ten Smith can go 14. Everyone has him in the 20's but they are off. He should go top 18.

Toppin and Smith both really worry me on defense. Both will take a lot of scheming for BS to hide. Toppin is worse then Smith but both lack the perimeter mobility to switch onto smaller players and neither player has the size to be a drop rim protector.

Looking at the teams in the playoffs the bigs who are going to get consistent minutes are either

Legit BIGS (6'11+ 250+ with + length)

Brook and Robin Lopez
Vucevic
Gasol
Embiid
Turner
Mcgee and Howard
Nurkic and Whiteside
Zubac
KP
Jokic and Plumlee
Gobert
Adams
Allen

Or they are elite moving bigs who can jump out and defend smaller players in switches
Ibaka (getting slower but also has size to drop)
Horford
Theis
BAM
Harrell
Noel
Anthony Davis

It feels like defensive fit is often overlooked by draft fans. I think Obi will have a long NBA career but short of being an 8th or 9th man I don't think he ever has playoff success. He can be a 20ppg guy on a bad team I just don't see how a team wins with him on D. Smith is not as terrible on D but still will be exploited in match-ups and will have to shoot the lights out to warrant a role on a good team.

For the same reason I think Achiuwa, Tillman, Nnaji, and Tillie have higher ceilings as bigs who can move on the perimeter and that Azubuike could be a steal as a drop big in the 2nd round.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It seems like pedigree is a big deal to their scouting department. They are willing to draft a 5 star high school guy even if he struggled in his time out of school. Smart, Langford, and Brown are examples of this. Tatum too to a certain extent.

Based on that, I could see them taking a swing at RJ Hampton if his workouts were good. I think the willingness that he displayed this last year to fit into a scheme with veteran players without having the ball and while working on his defense will be appealing to CBS and Ainge.

I like Bey alot too as a guy similar to Grant Williams who is a really hard worker and smart basketball player.

Ramsey, Stanley, and Lewis also seem like the Rozier-Edwards type of picks that Ainge loves to make.

Riler, to me, looks like he has the potential to be a versatile on and off ball playmaker ala Brad Wanamaker.

My best guess would be Hampton, Bey, Ramsey, Stanley, Lewis, and/or Riler will be Celtics come draft day.

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2020, 09:11:27 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I have no idea where any of these guys are going, but would love to get a shot at Isaac Okoro.

He has everything but shooting. Solid athleticism, finishing around the basket, passing, on and off ball defense, hustle and work ethic. A typical Danny pick who would be a perfect backup to our current wings with potential to replace an older Hayward down the line. I think Okoro would replace Semi and challenge Langford for the role as backup immediately.

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2020, 09:21:21 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Also think its worth noting that the general consensus is that this draft really lacks a clear break in tiers and while its short on upper end talent its deep with rotation level talent.

Most reputable mocks have come to the conclusion that Ball, Edwards and Wiseman are the first three players off the board. I suspect this will happen and depending on the lottery this may involve some trading up/down.

After those three the players seem to level out and I suspect we see teams with drastically different rankings. Roster/scheme fit may be more prevalent then most drafts. Ex if the Knicks or Pistons are at #4 and fail to trade up for Melo I could see them taking Cole Anthony, while other teams probably wont even have him ranked top 10.

A lot of lottery teams Cavs, Wolves, ATL, NY, Bulls, Suns already have young bigs on their rosters and with the league playing mostly 1 big lineups they are not as likely to take Okongwu. This could cause him to drop lower then many expect.

Teams who feel they are playoff ready (every team in the west) may lock in on wings like Vassell, Avdija and Nesmith who are easy to project into complimentary bench roles as rookies. ( note: I am suspicious on Nesmiths defense)

My point of all this is that we may be really surprised who is available at #14 or within range of a minor trade up. Depending on how the lottery falls its not a stretch to see Hayes, Halibuton, or Okoro (screams DA pick) become options for the Cs. Even Okongwu could be in play if the perfect lottery happens and teams are open for a trade up.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2020, 09:54:42 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Cole Anthony could be available at pick 14. He was a top 5 recruit. He got hurt. His team sucked. He didn't shoot well and forced a lot of shots because his team sucked. He's not a great athlete but he could turn out to be a beast. He reminds me of a Baron Davis type player. This pick has DA written all over it.

I like other players at 14 as well but would like to trade up to around 7 or 8 if someone like Okongwu is still there.

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2020, 10:57:41 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Cole Anthony could be available at pick 14. He was a top 5 recruit. He got hurt. His team sucked. He didn't shoot well and forced a lot of shots because his team sucked. He's not a great athlete but he could turn out to be a beast. He reminds me of a Baron Davis type player. This pick has DA written all over it.

I like other players at 14 as well but would like to trade up to around 7 or 8 if someone like Okongwu is still there.

I actually think his athleticism is one of his biggest strengths, kinda strange that you compare him to baron davis who was one of the most explosive guards i can remember and call him "not a great athlete"  ;D but maybe your standards are just super high. You can definitely see the potential with him, especially on offense of course. But i really like that he's a good rebounder for a guard and that he is competitive, that could mean that he could become a better defender aswell. If he falls to 14 I would definitely take him!
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

That's what I thought about Nassir Little, who slid to the end of first round last season. I think if Cole Anthony had more PG skills he would be worth considering. But to me he is a small 2 guard, who can't shoot all that well.  I wouldn't want him, I think he would struggle to get minutes on our team.

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2020, 01:44:40 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
PG!  Latest mock I saw had Maledon and Anthony sitting there, I'll take Anthony.

That is, if they make the selection.  They could trade two to move up as well, 14/26 = 1980 draft points which is up around 8th pick (according the the source I used).
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

That's what I thought about Nassir Little, who slid to the end of first round last season. I think if Cole Anthony had more PG skills he would be worth considering. But to me he is a small 2 guard, who can't shoot all that well.  I wouldn't want him, I think he would struggle to get minutes on our team.

Anthony aside I think the Celtics are set up moving forward to accommodate the classic SG in a PG body archetype. As Tatum continues to grow as a player he will take on more of the creation load this coupled with Smart could make for a nice fit for a sub 6’4 scoring guard who defends other teams PGs. This may have been part of the logic behind the Edwards pick last draft.

Post Kemba we could very well see Smart as the starting PG with a player like Anthony, Maxey or Terry coming off the bench in a 30mpg bench role. I have said this before but I believe this was DAs original plan with Smart and IT. Had Smart not gotten injured and IT   Not exploded we would have had IT as the 6th man and Smart the starter.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2020, 02:01:17 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I would draft either Rj Hampton or Precious Achiuwa if none of the top guys slide. This pick pick could be our last lottery pick for a while so I would draft someone with potential. This draft is pretty deep when it comes to potential role players so i would try to find someone who can contribute next season with our later picks, maybe package 26 + 30 to move up a few spots.

Rj Hampton was a top recruit and has excellent physical tools. Could be a future Kemba replacement.

Precious Achiuwa could be a nice big man for us. He moves well for his size, plays with energy and has some skill to build on. I'm also confident that he can improve his jumper in time, shot looks smooth he just turns his feet while shooting, which can be corrected.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 02:19:30 PM by DrJasper »
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
PG!  Latest mock I saw had Maledon and Anthony sitting there, I'll take Anthony.

That is, if they make the selection.  They could trade two to move up as well, 14/26 = 1980 draft points which is up around 8th pick (according the the source I used).
You need another source.  The 26th pick isn't going to get you from 14 to 8.  The Blazers/Kings trade from a few years ago was 15 and 20 for 10. 

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2020, 02:16:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Anthony aside I think the Celtics are set up moving forward to accommodate the classic SG in a PG body archetype. As Tatum continues to grow as a player he will take on more of the creation load this coupled with Smart could make for a nice fit for a sub 6’4 scoring guard who defends other teams PGs. This may have been part of the logic behind the Edwards pick last draft.

Post Kemba we could very well see Smart as the starting PG with a player like Anthony, Maxey or Terry coming off the bench in a 30mpg bench role. I have said this before but I believe this was DAs original plan with Smart and IT. Had Smart not gotten injured and IT   Not exploded we would have had IT as the 6th man and Smart the starter.

A team that is designed for Tatum to become its primary ball handler is doomed to fail.  That would be a poor direction.  Neither Tatum or Brown have the tools to be primary play maker. They both possess multiple excellent skills but play making is not on that list.

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2020, 02:27:53 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Just wanted to amend my earlier post where I said the only wing I'd consider is Saadiq Bey, due to his ability to play minutes at PF.

I didn't really consider Vassell as he will probably go earlier...but absolutely if Vassell is there he has to be taken.  That needn't spell the end of Romeo necessarily.  What it would mean to me is that after next season, if Hayward comes back, he goes to the bench.

2021 starting lineup:

Kemba
Vassell
Brown
Tatum
Center

Bench: Smart, Hayward, Romeo, Etc.

Vassell to good to pass on if he slips to 14.  Have to take him, even if plan to trade him...value at 14 higher than anyone else, even higher than P. Williams, who I love.  (I expect both Floridians to be gone by pick 11 or 12...)

So this post echoes original post by OP (Footey) on Vassell.

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2020, 03:01:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Good article in Forbes on Celtics' targets at 14:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/08/16/who-will-the-boston-celtics-target-with-potential-lottery-pick-in-2020-nba-draft/#52e6c3d63a11

writer suggests targets:

Bey
Nesmith
Anthony
Maxey
Lewis

Vassel not included because likely off board at 14.

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2020, 03:02:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Just wanted to amend my earlier post where I said the only wing I'd consider is Saadiq Bey, due to his ability to play minutes at PF.

I didn't really consider Vassell as he will probably go earlier...but absolutely if Vassell is there he has to be taken.  That needn't spell the end of Romeo necessarily.  What it would mean to me is that after next season, if Hayward comes back, he goes to the bench.

2021 starting lineup:

Kemba
Vassell
Brown
Tatum
Center

Bench: Smart, Hayward, Romeo, Etc.

Vassell to good to pass on if he slips to 14.  Have to take him, even if plan to trade him...value at 14 higher than anyone else, even higher than P. Williams, who I love.  (I expect both Floridians to be gone by pick 11 or 12...)

So this post echoes original post by OP (Footey) on Vassell.

Vassel will probably require a trade up. Also I don't think he would start over Hayward, not next year anyway. Down the road, sure.