Author Topic: Switch out one player to make the Celtics better  (Read 4766 times)

Re: Switch out one player to make the Celtics better
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think the most important stat for Jaylen Brown is DOB.   He's still 21 (for about 2 more weeks).  He's one guy in the pre-season who looked like his confidence took a leap forward.  If not for Davis, I'd have a hard time saying goodbye Jaylen.

To me, the logical switch out guy is Rozier.  I love his game, but he comes to mind as the most probable 'sell high" guy on the roster.  He's made a name for himself and hasn't done anything in the pre-season that would shake anyone's confidence in him.   

Not sure if you could really get a Valenciunas or Miles Turner, but that sounds good to me.

I think the C's are going to lose Theis this off-season, so need for another big for the long-term.   Can someone confirm this for me? I've been under the impression that the C's are locked into a limitation on what they will be able to offer Theis that other teams won't be held to?  Maybe it's lack of Bird Rights and therefore will have cap limitation?

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 06:34:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would swap out Gordon Hayward...don't need him. Definetly not Brown.
.. for who?? We can’t just go around tossing our second best player away

I’d swap Morris for a Taurean Prince type, if we’re strictly talking about comparable ability right now.
If we’re talking long-term, Morris for Ingles would be perfect. Or Morris for Jonathon Simmons

He obviously hasnt been our second best player and will not be going forward...not seeing it
I don't know what your standards are for people who haven't been able to play for almost 365 days are, but if you're expecting them to instantly return to their previous playing levels you've got another thing coming

That's fine...but you are saying hes our second best player based off his Utah career. Hes done nothing here to this point and I'm taking into consideration his injury which is why I don't see him being our second best player..not gonna happen
I'm assuming he'll be able to return to form, because we've seen examples of the same injury occurring to elite players (like PG13) without hindering their long-term talent. Paul George played a handful of games at the end of a season, then had a fully healthy summer, then came back better than ever.

He's still got probably the second best, or second most developed and well rounded, scorer on the team, arguably the best playmaker, and a more versatile defender than a lot of our players. I'm happy to be proven wrong by JT or JB eclipsing him, but I still believe he'll be able to provide 17-22ppg, with a handful of assists and rebounds each. We'll see!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

I’d swap Morris for a Taurean Prince type, if we’re strictly talking about comparable ability right now.
If we’re talking long-term, Morris for Ingles would be perfect. Or Morris for Jonathon Simmons

He obviously hasnt been our second best player and will not be going forward...not seeing it
I don't know what your standards are for people who haven't been able to play for almost 365 days are, but if you're expecting them to instantly return to their previous playing levels you've got another thing coming

That's fine...but you are saying hes our second best player based off his Utah career. Hes done nothing here to this point and I'm taking into consideration his injury which is why I don't see him being our second best player..not gonna happen
I'm assuming he'll be able to return to form, because we've seen examples of the same injury occurring to elite players (like PG13) without hindering their long-term talent. Paul George played a handful of games at the end of a season, then had a fully healthy summer, then came back better than ever.

He's still got probably the second best, or second most developed and well rounded, scorer on the team, arguably the best playmaker, and a more versatile defender than a lot of our players. I'm happy to be proven wrong by JT or JB eclipsing him, but I still believe he'll be able to provide 17-22ppg, with a handful of assists and rebounds each. We'll see!

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he fits in and ends up being our second best player over jayson and jaylen nevermind Al who made the all star game and is an important piece

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he fits in and ends up being our second best player over jayson and jaylen nevermind Al who made the all star game and is an important piece
I fear for Al - he's so happy to pass the ball and set up other guys to get their shots he might forget to himself!

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2018, 03:53:59 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Love JT, but swapping him (and other players/picks) for AD puts us over the top.

I think Tatum has legit superstar potential, but Davis IS a perennial MVP candidate.

Brown fills a need as a proven SG who can defend and shoot. He also has superstar potential. Kyrie/Hayward/Horford aren’t going anywhere.

I know we’d have to wait until the offseason and matching salaries will be difficult, but that seems like the only logical move to make. Davis as the 4, Horford at C.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I don't really have any concerns about the preseason.

Just for fun, though, I'd swap Hayward for Anthony Davis.

This.

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 09:26:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So perhaps it’s time to revisit this thread? 

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Some overreactions will come flying

That being said: Brown for Doncic ;D

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 09:33:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
The team obviously looks terrible, but this thread was more of a big picture idea anyway.  Even after the team is in sync the pieces don’t quite fit correctly and Brown I think should be the odd man out.

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 09:36:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
The team obviously looks terrible, but this thread was more of a big picture idea anyway.  Even after the team is in sync the pieces don’t quite fit correctly and Brown I think should be the odd man out.
I think you're right. I know we disagreed about it before, but that was more the whole example of Redick and the premise that there might not be enough shots to go around. I think the shots are there, I just am not sure his game fits with us.
However, I don't think there are any suitable moves we can make this season. Keep him and throw the motherload at Davis

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Jimmy Butler for Jaylen? 

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2018, 09:49:55 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
I think you're right. I know we disagreed about it before, but that was more the whole example of Redick and the premise that there might not be enough shots to go around. I think the shots are there, I just am not sure his game fits with us.
However, I don't think there are any suitable moves we can make this season. Keep him and throw the motherload at Davis
Yeah, I haven’t gone as far as proposing an actual trade either.  I’m happy to let it play out as well.  Just think he’s the odd man out in an ideal world.

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2018, 09:51:30 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Hayward for a bag of balls and a 2nd round pick

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2018, 05:21:42 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Hayward needs to come off the bench as 6th man--for offense.

He may be making most of the money, but he doesn't look like a fit to start on this team at this point--not with the fast progression of Tatum, Brown and even Rozier.

They need more speed and athleticism in the lineup. A better transition game for easier shots. And better defense.

I'd also like to see more of Williams--as a rebounder and shot blocker--not as a shooter. I read somewhere he's getting shooting lessons. Nobody ever taught Russell how to shoot. That wasn't his job. Know your job!

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2018, 05:26:35 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

The pieces fit quite well last season with Hayward out of the lineup. So what does that tell you?

Brown and Tatum need space to improve even more this year, and you wonder if Hayward's presence in the starting lineup is impeding that.