Author Topic: Wizards (25-36) at Celtics (37-25) Game #63 3/1/19  (Read 30396 times)

Re: Wizards (25-36) at Celtics (37-25) Game #63 3/1/19
« Reply #465 on: March 01, 2019, 10:29:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Good to have the win. But there's still alot of work to be done.

Defense still needs improvements by leaps and bounds. The only guy really playing defense is Smart.

Tatum needs to post-up more and shoot less threes.

Similarly, Morris also really needs to cut back on 3s and post up more as well. He's a big guy and should use his size to his advantage.

Even though he may have been the leading scorer, I feel Horford has regressed offensively.

We're still getting killed on rebounding, but that's probably not going to change.

Theis was a nice spark plug off the bench.

Hayward needs to be ALOT more assertive. He just passes the ball whenever he gets it.

Sunday's Rockets game and the West Coast trip should be a nice litmus test to see how we do to follow up this win.

Good to have our first W since February 13th.

« Reply #466 on: March 01, 2019, 10:29:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Defensive pressure especially Brown and Rozier early 4th was the difference.

Hayward still effective despite taking only 2 shots. He seems to purposely set up the others and sacrifices shots. He’s got his contract.

« Reply #467 on: March 01, 2019, 10:30:27 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
The only thing we can do is hope this win sparks something and that just the feeling of winning again can get something going. Obviously there's still work to do.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #468 on: March 01, 2019, 10:32:17 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Jaylen Brown's energy was a deciding factor. He has been playing well.

Needed win.

« Reply #469 on: March 01, 2019, 10:36:53 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Brown's definitely showing why he deserves more minutes going forward.  doubt he'll get them but he's earning them.  if he's the one we can keep after the AD trade I think he'll make a solid 5th starter

I didn't get to see the game, but the box score says Brown struggled to shoot tonight. Did he play well in ways that don't show in a box score?

TP for illustrating that box scores don’t always explain everything  ;D

Thanks!

And thanks to all who explained.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #470 on: March 01, 2019, 10:36:59 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Needed win.

I wish he got more minutes and a bigger role these days than say, Morris.

« Reply #471 on: March 01, 2019, 10:39:42 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Defensive pressure especially Brown and Rozier early 4th was the difference.

Hayward still effective despite taking only 2 shots. He seems to purposely set up the others and sacrifices shots. He’s got his contract.

I watched Hayward the whole game tonight, both on and off the ball. There’s things he can do to get more involved, like cut more. A lot of times it seems he’s required to stand in the corner and wait for a kick out. He doesn’t always put himself in a position where he can score the ball, like coming off a screen.

The other things he does is come out and receive the ball at the top of the key and then wait there for someone to come out to get the pass. They don’t really run picks for him to free him up and he’s not the type to shoot off the dribble or shoot a contested 3 like the others do. And he will always pass up a good shot for himself if he thinks there’s a better shot for someone else, he passed up some shots to Theis who was in better position but missed the shot.

I really think it’s premeditated for this season...he’s not seen as a scoring option when you have Kyrie, Mook, Jaylen or Jayson on the floor. But I agree that whatever the reason the Celtics won’t be the best version of themselves if he’s only taking 2-3 shots a game no matter how effective he is in other areas.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #472 on: March 01, 2019, 10:44:13 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
I'll take the win.  Overall, the effort was pretty good tonight.  They played the right way, which hasn't often been the case lately.  Plenty to clean up still, but this is the kind of game that you can build on. 

Jaylen Brown won this game for us with his effort in the fourth quarter. 

Loved Morris's effort.  He clearly came out to back up his words.  He didn't shoot very well, but almost all of the shots were good ones that I want him to take.  I can live with that. 

I'm pretty down on Tatum here lately.  His length makes an impact on defense, and I appreciate that.  But his shot selection has to improve, and for that to happen, he has to become more decisive.  He lacks the first step to beat a defender off the dribble when they're squared up on him, but he always hesitates when he receives the ball... which means his defender has time to square up on him.  As a result, those contested jumpers are all he can consistently get.
 It's something he has done since high school, and it's an important thing to fix.

I never fault Smart's effort, but I feel like he's trying to make a few too many flash plays lately.  Behind the back passes, playing for steals on defense.  Would like to see him get back to the fundamentals a bit.  Shot very well tonight though - took good shots and made them.  Good game.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:42:14 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #473 on: March 01, 2019, 11:21:18 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'll take the win.  Overall, the effort was pretty good tonight.  They played the right way, which hasn't often been the case lately.  Plenty to clean up still, but this is the kind of game that you can build on. 

Jaylen Brown won this game for us with his effort in the fourth quarter. 

Loved Morris's effort.  He clearly came out to back up his words.  He didn't shoot very well, but almost all of the shots were good ones that I want him to take.  I can live with that. 

I'm pretty down on Tatum here lately.  His length makes an impact on defense, and I appreciate that.  But his shot selection has to improve, and for that to happen, he has to become more decisive.  He lacks the first step to beat a defender off the dribble when they're squared up on him, but he always hesitates when he receives the ball... which means his defender has time to square up on him.  As a result, those contested jumpers are all he can consistently get.
 It's something he has done since high school, and it's an important thing to fix.

I never fault Smart's effort, but I feel like he's trying to make a few too many flash plays lately.  Behind the back passes, playing for steals on defense.  Would like to see him get back to the fundamentals a bit.  Shot very well tonight though - took good shots and made them.  Good game.

I agree with most of this. I don’t agree that Morris had good shot selection, and there was too much iso ball.

But you’re right it was better than the last few.

« Reply #474 on: March 02, 2019, 12:34:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Was that an ugly game by us? Yes. Was that just the Wizards? Yes.

But did we win? HELL YEAH! Thanks for snapping the losing streak on my Birthday C's!!  ;D  8)

Happy Birthday! Enjoy a TP on me!
And a few more on me!

Happy Birthday, Phantom🎂🎂🎂

Welcome to the 1000 TP club

« Reply #475 on: March 02, 2019, 12:39:14 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Needed win.

I wish he got more minutes and a bigger role these days than say, Morris.

TP

« Reply #476 on: March 02, 2019, 12:39:48 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

But did we win? HELL YEAH! Thanks for snapping the losing streak on my Birthday C's!!  ;D  8)

And a few more on me!

TP

« Reply #477 on: March 02, 2019, 12:52:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This place is a lot nicer when we win, even if it's ugly!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #478 on: March 02, 2019, 01:26:42 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

And a few more on me!

Whoa, thanks a ton!  ;D

Though I’ll probably go back under it at some point after a Playoff TP wager  :P (sees the 150-ish TPs gone after last year’s tough Game 7 loss...)

« Reply #479 on: March 02, 2019, 06:53:44 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
It was a good win last night. Loved Theis and really liked the Jaylen energy. The 4th quarter bench did great on those few possessions forcing turnovers resulting in easy buckets. The 3 on 1 where Rozier passed to Brown and Brown returning it to Rozier for an easy layup has to be one of my favorite plays because normally these young guys (Tatum, Brown, Rozier) will always take the shot themselves rather than making the extra pass for the easy rather than contested shot. I am still a little concerned with Hayward and his lack of offense, the lack of finishing ability. I still think that a starting lineup change is in order with Morris/Smart to bench for Hayward/Brown. I really think we need Brown to play more minutes. I think Hayward can get his game back by playing with starters. Of course when Baynes returns that should make all the difference in the world. Good win last night but against that team there really should never have been any doubt and there was. Sunday will be a test with hopefully a positive outcome.