Author Topic: 2nd unit ideas  (Read 1203 times)

2nd unit ideas
« on: October 02, 2016, 08:40:35 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
should also have a strong perimeter defense with rozier and smart then jerebko,kelly and zeller-jaylen unproven, green talks defense but has to prove it-and mickey needs to step up
it seems like the floor will get spread giving guards room
need some help with this group-any ideas

Re: 2nd unit ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:08:35 AM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Im thinking

Rozier
Smart
Jaylen
Jonas
Kelly

Maybe Jaylen at the 4 and slot gerald green in there somewhere. However the second unit is going to be hardnosed forcing turnovers i have no doubt they will score in transition multiple times a game but their half court offense is little worrying.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 09:44:16 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Smart and Rozier are locks for backup guards. Hard to say the how the rest pan out right now. Depends who starts as the other big, right now it's assumed Amir will start but I would assume that CBS will want one of Amir/Horford on the court 90% of the time. I guess if you start:

IT, AB, Crowder, Amir, Horford

My 2nd unit is:

Rozier, Smart, Brown/Green, JJ, KO - I don't like JJ and KO together as the bigs, need more interior defense.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:46:15 AM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Better play Zeller some minutes if you want to win...

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Smart and Rozier are locks for backup guards. Hard to say the how the rest pan out right now. Depends who starts as the other big, right now it's assumed Amir will start but I would assume that CBS will want one of Amir/Horford on the court 90% of the time. I guess if you start:

My 2nd unit is:

Rozier, Smart, Brown/Green, JJ, KO - I don't like JJ and KO together as the bigs, need more interior defense.

The thing is this isn't like hockey where you have complete lineup shifts.  Stevens may have some overlap with his substitutions where he has one of Amir or Al in the game most of the time.

What's going to be interesting to me though is how the backup minutes shake out between Brown, Green, Jonas, Smart, and Rozier.  Most of those backup minutes are for 1 through 3, and small ball 4.   Let's say that around 65-70 minutes.  Someone is going to get the short end of the stick with minutes there.

Just adding Stevens may play his backups depending on matchups if he wants say the more physical Brown over Green, or who is heating up say if Green is on a roll.  Also over an 82 game season the whole team won't stay injury free so some additional minutes will open up.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 11:12:48 AM by JBcat »

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 11:10:33 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

My 2nd unit is:

The thing is this isn't like hockey where you have complete lineup shifts.  Stevens may have some overlap with his substitutions where he has one of Amir or Al in the game most of the time.

What's going to be interesting to me though is how the backup minutes shake out between Brown, Green, Jonas, Smart, and Rozier.  Most of those backup minutes are for 1 through 3, and small ball 4.   Let's say that around 65-70 minutes.  Someone is going to get the short end of the stick with minutes there.

Green and Jonas. Though I don't count Jonas a a small-ball 4. The big investment is in Smart, TRoz and Brown.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 04:38:24 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
should also have a strong perimeter defense with rozier and smart then jerebko,kelly and zeller-jaylen unproven, green talks defense but has to prove it-and mickey needs to step up
it seems like the floor will get spread giving guards room
need some help with this group-any ideas

Barring injuries, I think it will be:

Tier 1: guaranteed big minutes until proven otherwise
Isaiah
Bradley
Crowder
Amir
Horford

Tier 2: guaranteed big minutes as bench players unless proven otherwise
Olynyk
Smart

I am not sure who will start between Olynyk and Amir.

Although NBA playoff teams tend to go eight deep, those are my top seven Celtics. I think they are the core.

Tier 3
Green
Brown
Rozier
Zeller
Jerebko

Tier 4
Mickey
Hunter
Jackson

I think that will be the final roster. I think neither Jerebko or Zeller are guaranteed anything. Their minutes could be in competition. Tiers one to three add up to 12 players. Everyone can't play.

The last three are my guess for how it finishes up. I see zero minutes for Hunter, Jordan Mickey or Jackson.

Green and Brown should be in competition for minutes.

Many think Rozier and Smart are in competition, but it's more like Smart is guaranteed minutes, Rozier not so much.

One never knows. A roster going twelve deep is quite impressive and reassuring.