Author Topic: I just saw a really good movie (Frozen River)  (Read 2926 times)

I just saw a really good movie (Frozen River)
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:41:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I grew up in a small town on the border between NY and Canada on the St. Lawrence River, about 30 miles from the Mohawk Reservation.

My whole life I've dealt with stories about natives, even had a few really bad experiences with them, mostly in nightclubs in Canada when I was younger.

I didn't meet a native in a familiar sense until college, and being friends with him made me see natives as a people more similar than different to the poverty stricken small town area I'm from.

In any case, I just saw Frozen River and I was very moved by it. Its not a big budget picture by any means, and its kind of a family drama which I generally stay away from. On top of that it almost entirely centers around two women, which not to sound misogynist (but it does), but I'm generally not fans of dramas that center almost entirely on two women.

But this movie is amazing. It is moving, and for me it hit home. It showed the plight of those around me that are less fortunate than I am, and it showed those who benefit off of them. The most famous actor I recognized in it was the bad cop from Batman Begins, but I was absolutely completely drawn in from the beginning.

The film won the sundance film festival, and it deserved it. Highly recommended.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: I just saw a really good movie (Frozen River)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:51:12 PM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
hm is it in BB :)

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 11:57:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
hm is it in BB :)

BB as in BlockBuster?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:03:37 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I grew up in a small town on the border between NY and Canada on the St. Lawrence River, about 30 miles from the Mohawk Reservation.

My whole life I've dealt with stories about natives, even had a few really bad experiences with them, mostly in nightclubs in Canada when I was younger.

I didn't meet a native in a familiar sense until college, and being friends with him made me see natives as a people more similar than different to the poverty stricken small town area I'm from.

In any case, I just saw Frozen River and I was very moved by it. Its not a big budget picture by any means, and its kind of a family drama which I generally stay away from. On top of that it almost entirely centers around two women, which not to sound misogynist (but it does), but I'm generally not fans of dramas that center almost entirely on two women.

But this movie is amazing. It is moving, and for me it hit home. It showed the plight of those around me that are less fortunate than I am, and it showed those who benefit off of them. The most famous actor I recognized in it was the bad cop from Batman Begins, but I was absolutely completely drawn in from the beginning.

The film won the sundance film festival, and it deserved it. Highly recommended.

I saw it as well. It was a pretty good movie.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 01:13:57 AM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
BB as in BlockBuster?  yesss

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 01:23:08 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Great story. Definitely recommend it...If you are in a serious mood, very emotional.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 01:40:24 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Just checked it out on Metacritic. Definitely the type of movie I would like. Thanks for the heads up.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 05:30:50 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
One of the best movies of 2008.  My one gripe with it is that ending seemed to come together too easily for the protagonist at the end.  But besides that, pretty awesome start to finish.