Who is a better fit for the C’s?

Shane Larkin
15 (44.1%)
Wanamaker
10 (29.4%)
No clue
9 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Poll: Shane Larkin vs. Wanamaker  (Read 1584 times)

Poll: Shane Larkin vs. Wanamaker
« on: January 05, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
:P

Re: Poll: Shane Larkin vs. Wanamaker
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 06:53:10 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Shane, BUT we really haven’t seen enough of Wanamaker.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 07:12:12 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

That is clearly my view as well. We don't really know how good Wanamaker is.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 08:46:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

That is clearly my view as well. We don't really know how good Wanamaker is.

thats fair analysis.   

Larkin plays like a true point guard , pushing temp,  setting guys up,  he keeps the ball moving and usually only shoots the wide open shot .  Plus he has an ALL important feel for the game , like Smart ,  knows what CBS wants and does not show boat.  He had a knack for waking up a stuck offense .  i miss his game

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 09:00:59 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Haven’t seen enough of Wanamaker to say he’s better at this point. He’s clearly not noticeably worse though.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 09:22:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Haven’t seen enough of Wanamaker to say he’s better at this point. He’s clearly not noticeably worse though.

+1

But is bigger, stronger and better capabilities for switch defense

He has looked decent thus far

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 10:33:20 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Wanamaker is better.

Better defender, and he is shooting 46% from three.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 10:43:05 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
It doesn't really matter because Shane and Brad were always destined to be "one year only" players.  Here is why:

Both were signed as non-drafted free agent rookies.  Let's use Brad as an example:  He will be a RFA after this season.  The C's have 2 options to resign him to a minimum deal:

1   A 1 yr deal at the 2 - year vet min that would give Brad a no-trade clause (C's do not want to be
        locked into a no trade provision with anyone at the end of the bench)

or    

2    A multi year deal at the 4 - year vet min (This might be too expensive for C's given their luxury tax status)

It was the same 2 options in summer of 2018 with respect to re-signing Shane or not.     This is why C's didn't bring Shane Larkin back - it is cheaper and more flexible for C's to just to bring in someone new
each year from Euro leagues.

If C's keep all 4 of their potential first round picks in summer of 2019, it may not even be necessary to tap back into the Euro league market this summer.

Getting back to OP's question:  I prefer 6 ft 4 in Brad.  I have a real problem with players under 6 ft 2 in playing on my team in NBA: just too easy for other teams to create mismatches with a really short player.  The plan is for all the Celtic guards to stay relatively healthy and therefore have Brad play very limited minutes.  Brad has played very little and I am more than OK with that - hot dog everything is going to plan! (so far).

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:31:38 PM by otherdave »

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 10:53:50 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm not terribly concerned about what happens with a couple of fringe players that barely add any value. They can pretty much be interchanged with any random replacement level player.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 11:48:58 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
It doesn't really matter because Shane and Brad were always destined to be "one year only" players.  Here is why:

Both were signed as non-drafted free agent rookies.  Let's use Brad as an example:  He will be a RFA after this season.  The C's have 2 options to resign him to a minimum deal:

1   A 1 yr deal at the 2 - year vet min that would give Brad a no-trade clause (C's do not want to be
        locked into a no trade provision with anyone at the end of the bench)

or    

2    A multi year deal at the 4 - year vet min (This might be too expensive for C's given their luxury tax
        status)

It was the same 2 options in summer of 2018 with respect to re-signing Shane or not.  This is why C's didn't bring Shane Larkin back - it is cheaper and more flexible for C's to just to bring in someone new each year from Euro leagues.

The team has an interest in building relationships with agents and players; and there's positive value in cultivating European connections. So despite the transient nature of these contracts, they are part of the long-term success of the franchise.

If C's keep all 4 of their potential first round picks in summer of 2019, it may not even be necessary to tap back into the Euro league market this summer.

The role of either Larkin or Wanamaker is "Break Glass  in  Case of Emergency" third-string point guard.  What they want at that position,  in other words, is someone with experience who can run an offense. That's different from the developmental slots that rookies would likely be in, precocious children like Tatum and Brown notwithstanding.

It's unlikely that Boston keeps two draft picks, let alone four.

Getting back to OP's question:  I prefer 6 ft 4 in Brad.  I have a real problem with players under 6 ft 2 in playing on my team in NBA: just too easy for other teams to create mismatches with a really short player.  The plan is for all the Celtic guards to stay relatively healthy and therefore have Brad play very limited minutes.  Brad has played very little and I am more than OK with that - hot dog everything is going to plan! (so far).

I agree. Though Brad doesn't have Larkin's fifth gear, you wonder if signing him is the Celtics Brass' reaction to watching Larkin get overpowered on D.  Wanamaker has a beautiful stroke, too...
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
They reportedly wanted two years of team control, maybe that meant a team option like Theis?

The Celtics and Euroleague star Brad Wanamaker are close to finalizing a contract, as
@wojespn
 said.  According to a source, Boston is seeking a two-year deal and Wanamaker, a former Pitt star, is leaning toward one year. Either way, it’ll likely be done soon, possibly tomorrow

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1011334248916312064?s=20