Poll

Who has a brighter future?

Jayson Tatum
18 (30%)
Luka Doncic
42 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Who has a brighter future, Jayson Tatum or Luka Doncic?  (Read 6441 times)

Re: Who has a brighter future, Jayson Tatum or Luka Doncic?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2019, 11:40:46 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
This board is funny.

My Vote is For Tatum...

I love Doncic but he is showcasing on a team that is built for him and has absolutely no pressure on it... He Can play free... IF he screws up, misses a defensive assignment (or ten) - go cold... It doesn't matter...  He is the Meal ticket..

Tatum is with a better organization playing on a team that honestly can't decide what it wants its identity to be... But he is learning to play a championship style of basketball, meaning he is sacrificing for the sake of the team...  (Just like all Great players are forced to do when they are aligned with other great players..)

I do agree that Donic is special, love the kids game... He has had so many moments...  Very interested to see how he locks in in the playoffs..

Tatum has tape now.. Teams have seen him, plus he is being forced to change his game from last year.. This is not an excuse its a reality... He will adjust... He has been making plays,

Doncic is going through the league for the first time... If they don't make the playoffs it will be no big deal...

Anyway, My Money is on Tatum...   

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 12:11:38 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

I love Doncic but he is showcasing on a team that is built for him and has absolutely no pressure on it... He Can play free... IF he screws up, misses a defensive assignment (or ten) - go cold... It doesn't matter...  He is the Meal ticket..

Built for him? The Mavs haven't even started building a team around him.  Right now they're trying to figure out who can play with him.  If I could trade Tatum for Doncic today I'd do it in a nano second. 

If I owned the Hawks I'd fire my GM for passing on the chance to take him.

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2019, 01:29:14 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Would not surprise me to see Tatum end up better.  Luka's game manages to somehow be more polished despite being younger.  With Tatum, his physical attributes give him a potential to be an MVP candidate some day... and while Luke might also have that potential... it's not necessarily a lock just because he's blazing out of the gate.

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 02:32:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Built for him? The Mavs haven't even started building a team around him.  Right now they're trying to figure out who can play with him.  If I could trade Tatum for Doncic today I'd do it in a nano second. 

Yeah, the Mavs are a bit of a hot mess. They're sort of half saying goodbye to Dirk and trying to keep some alright players around (DJ and Barnes), while simultaneously trying to rebuild around their stud in Doncic with other nice young pieces, like DSJ. Really unsure of their direction.

Despite 2 significant losing streaks, since they've started giving Doncic more and more control they continue to win more and more, and are only 3 games behind LAL in the 8 spot.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 03:17:07 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Would not surprise me to see Tatum end up better.  Luka's game manages to somehow be more polished despite being younger.

That is completely normal. Doncic played against clone to NBA level of players when Tatum was in high school. He is a bit ahead  in the development process but Tatum seems to have a similar high ceiling. I am OK with JT.

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 04:23:45 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Luca is a Superstar in the making... In the mold of Bird, Dirk, Duncan.

Tatum is an Allstar in the making... In the mold of Grant Hill, McGrady, and Melo.

Both will be good to great players but Luca is going to be a very special player...

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 04:27:52 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

This...
Id even give up the Sac pick with Tatum ot even JB to get him but im 100% certain the Mavs will never give up Luca on any package.. The dude will be as special as Dirk and he spent all of his career with the Mavs.

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 06:40:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Tatum is an Allstar in the making... In the mold of Grant Hill, McGrady, and Melo.

Both will be good to great players but Luca is going to be a very special player...
Pre-injuries I reckon both TMac and Hill would’ve been all time greats.

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 06:45:13 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Tmac lacked the "software" IMO.
Lack of team concept, care, selflessness and flexibility. Even thought his athleticism and talent were A+. I felt like that for a long time. A few months back I spoke to Gordan Giriček about and he confirmed it. He didn't respect role players.
Grant Hill had all of that, but lacked a great perimeter shot.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:56:28 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 07:28:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Tmac lacked the "software" IMO.
Lack of team concept, care, selflessness and flexibility. Even thought his athleticism and talent were A+. I felt like that for a long time. A few months back I spoke to Gordan Giriček about and he confirmed it. He didn't respect role players.
Grant Hill had all of that, but lacked a great perimeter shot.
Oh yeah, I can definitely see those as legitimate criticisms of TMac. However, I think if he'd been healthy enough to maintain his 2000-2005 form of 28/7/5 he'd be in the AI tier of all-time guys.

Grant Hill was a weak shooter, but man could he ball. Athletic as all hell, good handle, good rebounder, very good court vision, drew fouls and was good at the line, and was a solid defender. Shame

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2019, 07:49:55 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I don't think player comparisons are appropriate at this point (and they cause undue distraction from the main question, as indicated by the subsequent posts).  However, this sentiment is essentially correct, IMO.

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2019, 07:55:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Tatum because, he is on the winning team.   Luka is the primary option, if Tatum were he too would do much better.   I think Luke is the better player but I doubt he wins many rings in Dallas.

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2019, 09:09:52 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Luka runs the team, rebounds, passes, and scores and when the game is on the line he takes over.

He is also making efficient plays while being the sole focus of opposing teams defenses. Driving to the hoop, catch and shoot 3pters, curling off screens.

Tatum takes step back three pointers and long 2s.

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Tatum is approaching a crossroads where his game will either emulate Kobe/Melo, inefficient but supremely talented, or Durant, efficient relatively unselfish offensive player.

He probably won't reach those MVP caliber ceilings but his style of play will move in one of those direction.

During his rookie season I thought that he was going to follow the Durant model, but this year I see a lot of Kobe/Melo isolation/playing outside the offense and inefficient long 2s. Hopefully he'll correct back to the more efficient version of himself. If he continues down the Kobe/Melo path I would trade him in a heart beat for AD. One thing that gives me hope that he's coachable and will figure it out is I still see lots of effort on D.

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2019, 10:23:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think Tatum has a slightly higher ceiling, but Doncic has a much higher floor and is more likely to reach his ceiling.  So I voted for Doncic even though I do think Tatum could ultimately be the better player if both reach full potential.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip