Poll

Who has a brighter future?

Jayson Tatum
18 (30%)
Luka Doncic
42 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Who has a brighter future, Jayson Tatum or Luka Doncic?  (Read 6437 times)

Re: Who has a brighter future, Jayson Tatum or Luka Doncic?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 06:46:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Doncic, and it isn't really close. Doncic has a chance to put up 19/6/5 and become only the 4th rookie to do that. The others are all Hall of Famers:

Michael Jordan who did it at 21.
Grant Hill who did it at 22.
Oscar Robertson who did it at 22.

Doncic is doing it at 19.
always strange to just draw arbitrary lines, I mean is that really better than Lebron's 20.9/5.5/5.9 or how much better is that then MCW's 16.7/6.2/6.3.  MCW has gotten statistically worse in every single season he has been in the league.  Might very well be the only player in history who can claim that with more than 5 seasons (he is in his 6th).

Doncic has been absolutely amazing this year, no question.  He is doing things very few in history have done, but his hype train is getting to be a bit much on this blog.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 06:54:38 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
There is times I am not certain if Tatum is better than Brown.

Luka is a beast.

I think Tatum and Brown are quite close. Tatum has a higher ceiling offensively and as a rebounder, but Brown is a better defender.

If a Davis trade could materialize I won't have an issue in trading Tatum over Brown.

I hope that Ainge feels the same way and just plays hard to get with Tatum, but ultimately gives him up and by that overpowers the offers of our competition and saves some other assets, while he was actually always looking for a deal centered around Tatum.

To be on topic: Doncic is the best -23 player in the league and will be a superstar soon. There's a case to be made that he should already be an All Star.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 07:04:46 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Luka is being overhyped but I'd go with him.  I'm not sure their ceilings are that different but Tatum has a lot more to work on to get to his.  Shot creation for yourself and others is the most important skill.  Luka has it and Tatum needs to work on it.   Hopefully in 10 years this will be another Dirk versus Pierce discussion.   

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 07:11:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Luka is being overhyped but I'd go with him.  I'm not sure their ceilings are that different but Tatum has a lot more to work on to get to his.  Shot creation for yourself and others is the most important skill.  Luka has it and Tatum needs to work on it.   Hopefully in 10 years this will be another Dirk versus Pierce discussion.
Yeah, if we’re discussing which 10+ time All-Star we want I’m not too upset!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 07:14:14 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Doncic, and it isn't really close. Doncic has a chance to put up 19/6/5 and become only the 4th rookie to do that. The others are all Hall of Famers:

always strange to just draw arbitrary lines, I mean is that really better than Lebron's 20.9/5.5/5.9 or how much better is that then MCW's 16.7/6.2/6.3.  MCW has gotten statistically worse in every single season he has been in the league.  Might very well be the only player in history who can claim that with more than 5 seasons (he is in his 6th).

Doncic has been absolutely amazing this year, no question.  He is doing things very few in history have done, but his hype train is getting to be a bit much on this blog.
Arbitrary lines are pretty bogus.   How about Simmons rookie line 15/8/8?  I think Robertson may have been the only other person to do that.  Now Robertson's rookie line (30.5/10.1/9.7) is something to gawk at. 

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 07:28:35 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Luka is a beast.

I think Tatum and Brown are quite close. Tatum has a higher ceiling offensively and as a rebounder, but Brown is a better defender.

If a Davis trade could materialize I won't have an issue in trading Tatum over Brown.

I hope that Ainge feels the same way and just plays hard to get with Tatum, but ultimately gives him up and by that overpowers the offers of our competition and saves some other assets, while he was actually always looking for a deal centered around Tatum.

To be on topic: Doncic is the best -23 player in the league and will be a superstar soon. There's a case to be made that he should already be an All Star.

I think the window for that trade posibility probably came and went.  Oftentimes undefined potential upside is worth more than actual basketball production. 

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 07:32:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

always strange to just draw arbitrary lines
Says the guy that has drawn more arbitrary lines on this site than just about anyone.

I didn't draw that arbitrary line. It was one put out by a major sports network.

nba.com also put out a similar statement

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 08:13:15 PM »

Offline ddt27

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 26
Tatum, you talk about doncic numbers in his rookie season and "Doncic has a chance to put up 19/6/5 and become only the 4th rookie to do that." but if u remember... "Jayson Tatum fouls out 1 point short of tying the NBA record for playoff points by a rookie at 351, just behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar" good stat also and doesnt mean much...

Their Stats

Doncic
GP  MIN  PTS    FGM  FGA  FG%  3PM  3PA  3P%  FTM  FTA  FT%  OREB  DREB  REB  AST  TOV  STL  BLK   
37  32.0  19.5   6.4  14.7  43.6   2.4   6.3   38.0   4.3   5.7   75.7    1.1     5.5     6.6   5.0    3.4   1.0  0.3

Tatum
GP  MIN   PTS    FGM  FGA   FG%  3PM  3PA  3P%  FTM  FTA   FT%  OREB  DREB  REB  AST  TOV  STL  BLK   
80  30.5  13.9   5.0   10.4  47.5   1.3   3.0    43.4   2.7   3.2    82.6      0.6     4.4     5.0   1.6   1.4    1.0  0.7

Dont forget Doncic is the star in dallas has more attempts touches, and create more for others because he is a guard... Both put great stats and both will be great players!
Yet i might be wrong but doncic was pro in Europe since 16y, i do not think he will be much better than he already is, he learned a lot playing vs pro basketball players 3 years...
thats why i think tatum ceiling is higher.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:20:05 PM by ddt27 »

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2019, 08:25:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

always strange to just draw arbitrary lines
Says the guy that has drawn more arbitrary lines on this site than just about anyone.

I didn't draw that arbitrary line. It was one put out by a major sports network.

nba.com also put out a similar statement
Rofl, TP for the good stat
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2019, 09:27:11 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Luka is a beast.

In a bubble brown fits better with hayward/davis/horford and irving imo.

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 09:47:31 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Doncic. Playmaking is a huge difference between the two.

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 10:03:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Doncic. Playmaking is a huge difference between the two.
This is really what separates Doncic from so many rookies since...well...LeBron. Doncic scores and rebounds tremendously but he elavates the games of his team mates with his playmaking ability. He is easily the most talented, most well rounded rookie who makes his team mates so much better since LeBron.

In my time watching basketball, the only other players I have seen with this good of an all around game(including defense where I don't think Doncic gets enough credit) that can make everyone they play with elavate their games are

LeBron
Magic
Bird
Havlicek
Prior to injury Grant Hill

Yes, not MJ. He just didn't have the ability to make his team mates better. He just kinda pulled those players into success due to his greatness.

I have thought Doncic special for a while. Dallas is going to need to pair him with another superstar and when they do, watch out.

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 10:17:45 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Most of us on this site have watched a lot of basketball, and if you've watched a lot of basketball and you don't think Luka has "it," I don't know what to say.

The kid isn't just making stellar plays - he makes 1-2 plays a game that make the crowd gasp, he is already one of the top 10 clutch scorers in the league, currently ranking 6th by the numbers, just behind Kyrie and with the next three guys being Lebron, Paul George and Kawhi.

The Mavs have gone from a 24-win pace to around a 40-win pace. He's a winner and the only thing that would keep him from becoming All-NBA and more would be an atypical early plateau. Even if he only gets a little better, though, he'll be a perennial All-star.

Tatum on the other hand is in the "talented with a bright future" category. He's about as promising as the top 3 guys from a normal draft class. Nothing to sneeze at, but at this point we don't even know whether he will hit All-Star level for sure.

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 10:57:09 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
It's looking like Luka RIGHT NOW, but Tatum (and JB) gave us PLENTY of WOW moments last season.

With all of Luka's skill let's see if he can get DAL into the playoffs AND win a series THIS YEAR.

We put a LOT of responsibility on Jason Tatum last year and he delivered BIG TIME.

We lost our two stars and NO ONE expected us to beat PHI, MIL and THEN take LeBron's Cavs to SEVEN games - with MANY of us thinking that we'd beat them.

Not counting out Jason.

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2019, 12:24:04 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Scorers who can pass always ends up being a great player.

Tatum have still much to learn. I don't like how he dribbles too much when he touches the ball. But I guess being point guard at early age can really develop some playmaking skills for a player. Even Kobe started out as a PG in his career.