Author Topic: Jayson Tatum  (Read 7716 times)

Re: Jason Tatum
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Tatum is playing great.

He does need to learn that killer mentality. Great players need to have that.

I would also like to see him making and taking some of the postups like Brown has been taking. Tatum should be scoring 6-8ppg in the post imo.
He really p---ed me of at the end of the game yesterday, glad he got benched. also missed an open teammate a few times for a bad shot.

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I really like Tatum's potential but I see 2 paths for him as a player that he can go down. These are what I think are his ceilings and he may never reach those but he has a chance.

1. KD-Lite: He has a silky smooth offensive game and great length for defense.  Tatum is a couple of inches shorter but I think this could be his ceiling and I would be disappointed to see that potential traded for AD.

or

2. Carmelo Anthony with better range: I see some Carmelo in him.  I think Tatum has a better 3 point shot than Melo but Tatum's assist numbers worry me as does his tendency to take long (bad) 2 point shots. Carmelo was a great player but he was too selfish a player to take his teams to the "next" level. Melo was a ball stopper and Tatum has some ball stopper ISO tendencies, this year, that scare me. I would trade the "Melo" version of Tatum for AD all day everyday.

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Tatum is still a work in progress

Supremely talented while needing to improve his on-court decision making and ball handling.

Can be turnover prone and lose focus

He's also a great shooter and has become aggressive at attacking the basket.

My take is he's very good and is going to become a multiple All-NBA talent.

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2019, 03:03:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really like Tatum's potential but I see 2 paths for him as a player that he can go down. These are what I think are his ceilings and he may never reach those but he has a chance.

1. KD-Lite: He has a silky smooth offensive game and great length for defense.  Tatum is a couple of inches shorter but I think this could be his ceiling and I would be disappointed to see that potential traded for AD.

or

2. Carmelo Anthony with better range: I see some Carmelo in him.  I think Tatum has a better 3 point shot than Melo but Tatum's assist numbers worry me as does his tendency to take long (bad) 2 point shots. Carmelo was a great player but he was too selfish a player to take his teams to the "next" level. Melo was a ball stopper and Tatum has some ball stopper ISO tendencies, this year, that scare me. I would trade the "Melo" version of Tatum for AD all day everyday.
I am worried because more and more Tatum's game is looking like Melo's game than Paul Pierce type game, which I think he has in him. His lack of desire to pass the ball is bothersome as is his want to go one on one to create a 20 foot two point shot.

I have hope for him, but either way, he will never be the player Davis is right now. So I have no problem trading him in a package for the much better overall player.

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2019, 03:08:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
It’s Jayson not Jason
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:15:21 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2019, 03:11:42 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Tatum is playing great.

I would also like to see him making and taking some of the postups like Brown has been taking. Tatum should be scoring 6-8ppg in the post imo.
He really p---ed me of at the end of the game yesterday, glad he got benched. also missed an open teammate a few times for a bad shot.

well he is a 20 year old.

at 20 I still lived in a part of my parents house, worked in the day at a sawmill and smoked weed all night playing video games.

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2019, 03:14:10 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

or

I am worried because more and more Tatum's game is looking like Melo's game than Paul Pierce type game, which I think he has in him. His lack of desire to pass the ball is bothersome as is his want to go one on one to create a 20 foot two point shot.

I have hope for him, but either way, he will never be the player Davis is right now. So I have no problem trading him in a package for the much better overall player.

For the usage that he has, his passing rate is pretty decent.

I wouldnt call him an unwilling passer, he just isnt a smart passer, yet. He will get there.

on a side note, his roll isnt playmaking on the floor either, it is to score and defend.

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2019, 03:22:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

or

For the usage that he has, his passing rate is pretty decent.

I wouldnt call him an unwilling passer, he just isnt a smart passer, yet. He will get there.

on a side note, his role isnt playmaking on the floor either, it is to score and defend.
Well, his role will need to grow into playmaking if he is ever to take the step to the next level. Also, if playing defense is one of his primary jobs, he needs to get better at it because he hasn't been playing defense anywhere near the level he did in last year's playoffs.

As I said, I think eventually he has it in him to become a better playmaker and defender, it's just stuff that is lacking and if he doesn't develop them soon, he looks like he could be another Carmelo Anthony.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:58:15 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2019, 03:48:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Eh I think Tatum's showing some signs of progress as a passer. Just a few better/smoother passes out of his attacks, especially off of picks or DHOs.

Pierce took a couple of years to progress into the consistent passer we remember him as and Pierce also had a lot more rope to try stuff and make mistakes than Tatum does on this team.

Still I have no reservations about trading him for Davis, though emotionally I want to hold onto him.

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2019, 03:49:53 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Tatum is playing great.

To be fair to him he could've been gassed in which case getting yanked was the best thing before he contributed more to Detroit's comeback. He's still a young fella.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2019, 03:57:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
It’s Jayson not Jason
That was bugging me too, so I fixed it.

Re: Jayson Tatum
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2019, 04:35:44 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It bugs me that he's so willing to settle for long 2-pointers so often. I'd also like to see him get to the foul line more often (which would probably happen if he wasn't settling for long 2s so often).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2019, 04:41:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I went ahead and watched highlights of Pascal Siakam's 44 point game last night against the Wizards.

As I did, I kept thinking:

"Man, if Siakam can make this kind of leap and have this sort of game at age 24-25, imagine what Tatum could do."

Seeing what Paul George has done this year is also instructive w/ regard to Tatum.

That said, the biggest difference between George / Siakam and Tatum is that those guys have been defensive menaces since they entered the league.

Siakam especially has a tough guy / mean streak to his game.  Whereas Tatum plays more like the "smooth assassin" archetype along the lines of Kyrie or KD.

Seems to me that for Tatum to become more than just a supporting All-Star scorer, he will have to unlock a physical element to his game on both ends. 

Otherwise he would have to add a lot of point guard skills to his game so that he can run pick and roll and create offense for others.  That seems like a huge stretch based on what we've seen so far.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I went ahead and watched highlights of Pascal Siakam's 44 point game last night against the Wizards.

As I did, I kept thinking:

"Man, if Siakam can make this kind of leap and have this sort of game at age 24-25, imagine what Tatum could do."

Seeing what Paul George has done this year is also instructive w/ regard to Tatum.

That said, the biggest difference between George / Siakam and Tatum is that those guys have been defensive menaces since they entered the league.

Siakam especially has a tough guy / mean streak to his game.  Whereas Tatum plays more like the "smooth assassin" archetype along the lines of Kyrie or KD.

Seems to me that for Tatum to become more than just a supporting All-Star scorer, he will have to unlock a physical element to his game on both ends. 

Otherwise he would have to add a lot of point guard skills to his game so that he can run pick and roll and create offense for others.  That seems like a huge stretch based on what we've seen so far.
true. Which is why trading Tatum for Davis looks like a no brainer at this point. Neither brown or Tatum have developed any playmaking to their game, so keeping both could be a big gamble. building around 2 wings with tunnel vision isnt terrible but it isn't ideal

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2019, 04:59:53 PM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Yep. He takes far too many mid range jumpers for my liking. Most of them are contested as well.

Is it just me, or do you guys see a little bit of Carmelo in Tatum?

I'm starting to feel that trading him for AD would be a no brainer.
Man I hate agreeing with this point.

Yep same here.  Either way is a win win I think.  Would t be the end of the world if a trade happened but we’re in the drivers seat.

I like the idea of Browns defensive versatility and athleticism staying here.