Author Topic: Ainge On Trades: “I Don’t Really See Much Out There. “  (Read 3733 times)

Re: Ainge On Trades: “I Don’t Really See Much Out There. “
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2019, 12:48:08 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Yes and no. Yes, the team, for their long term benefit, need to get out of the luxury tax this year and they should be able to by getting out of Bird's contract and swapping out Yabu for a min contract. I think. Might be real close.

I forget the exact numbers, but I believe that losing Bird and Yabu for air doesn't actually quite get you under the tax because you dip below the roster minimum and subsequently get charged a minimum contract against the tax whether a player's receiving that money or not. My recollection (which could be wrong) is that the only way to get under is to turn one of Morris/Baynes into air or trade one of the higher-salaried guys (Smart/Horford/Hayward) for someone making that amount less than them. That's the real problem - there's no good way to get under the tax, and given that Kyrie hasn't actually signed anything yet I'd be very wary of p---ing him off by making the team worse in order to save ownership some money.

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 01:01:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yes and no. Yes, the team, for their long term benefit, need to get out of the luxury tax this year and they should be able to by getting out of Bird's contract and swapping out Yabu for a min contract. I think. Might be real close.

I forget the exact numbers, but I believe that losing Bird and Yabu for air doesn't actually quite get you under the tax because you dip below the roster minimum and subsequently get charged a minimum contract against the tax whether a player's receiving that money or not. My recollection (which could be wrong) is that the only way to get under is to turn one of Morris/Baynes into air or trade one of the higher-salaried guys (Smart/Horford/Hayward) for someone making that amount less than them. That's the real problem - there's no good way to get under the tax, and given that Kyrie hasn't actually signed anything yet I'd be very wary of p---ing him off by making the team worse in order to save ownership some money.
Okay so current salary is about $126.7 or so. Checked that number on three different sites. On another site Spotrac, had that number a million higher, which is quite a difference. So probably need to figure which is correct

The tax threshold is $123.7 million. So if the other 3 sites are correct, the C's need to dump $3.1 million. If Bird's contract is nullified and Yabu goes for air that saves $4.06 million. I think the pro rated amount of a vet min gets the Celtics under the tax and keeps them at 14 players. But if that Spotrac number is correct, you are right.

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Okay so current salary is about $126.7 or so. Checked that number on three different sites. On another site Spotrac, had that number a million higher, which is quite a difference. So probably need to figure which is correct

The tax threshold is $123.7 million. So if the other 3 sites are correct, the C's need to dump $3.1 million. If Bird's contract is nullified and Yabu goes for air that saves $4.06 million. I think the pro rated amount of a vet min gets the Celtics under the tax and keeps them at 14 players. But if that Spotrac number is correct, you are right.

In regards to Spotrac, the mighty saltlover once said:

Yeah, there are a lot of rules for cap holds. I have them mostly remembered at this point, so I can mentally tell when spotrac is wrong. (It happens a lot more than people realize -- I once was going through their info to see how many errors I could find, alphabetically by team, but got frustrated and quit when I already counted over 15 errors by the time I finished Brooklyn.  If I had the time and web design acumen, I'd make my own spotrac.)

So I'd assume Spotrac is wrong.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2019, 07:27:17 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
oh oh...Ainge is getting ready to deal!!!!!!

Agree.

Car salesman talk

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 11:21:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Even if that is the case, then you just trade Rozier along with Yabu and Bird for a better fitting and/or cheaper bench player.  Like trade them to Sacto for Labissierre and Mason or something like that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2019, 11:26:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Even if that is the case, then you just trade Rozier along with Yabu and Bird for a better fitting and/or cheaper bench player.  Like trade them to Sacto for Labissierre and Mason or something like that.
Probably be the way things go if ownership thinks being in the tax for just a small amount is bad long term(which it is) and they won't want it to cost them possibly tens of millions  because of it(which they shouldn't). I don't like the Lab and Mason trade but yeah, would need something like that if just dumping Yabusele and Bird while adding a vet min won't make it under the tax threshold.