Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Knicks (0-0) 12/25  (Read 53789 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Knicks (0-0) 12/25
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
Knicks Defense

Starting lineup

C  - Tyson Chandler - elite defender
PF - Amare Stoudemire - average defender (as a starting four)
SF - Carmelo Anthony - solid defender, capable of very good defense
SG - Landry Fields - very good defender
PG - Toney Douglas - good to very good defender (yeah, he sucked in the playoffs last year but he has played good defense outside of that series)

Bench

PG - Mike Bibby - abysmal defender
SG - Iman Shumpert - rookie with good defensive tools and athleticism, likely average to above average defender
SF - Renaldo Balkman - good to very good defender
PF - Jared Jeffries - average defender (alongside Amare, one shifts to center where either one is really poor defensively)
C  - Josh Harrellson - rookie with limited athleticism, likely very poor defender

* Baron Davis - solid defender. Replaces M.Bibby.

Overall

I see two major liabilities. Mike Bibby and the lack of a defensive anchor when Tyson is resting. Across the rest of the team, I see average or better defensive players.

Looks to me that the Knicks have the personnel to build a pretty darn good defensive team.

Although, Mike D'Antoni is a pretty big unknown variable here. Very much looking forward to seeing how D'Antoni handles this roster. A Jeff Van Gundy type would be a brilliant replacement should D'Antoni fail.

I agree with a lot of that except I actually think Jeffries is a very solid defender.

Also, the term "average" for a defender is used awfully loosely on this blog.  If Amare is an average starting PF defender, that means that there are 15 or so starting PFs who should be worse than him.  I feel like I can name more PFs in this league I believe to be certainly better defenders than Amare than I can say are certainly worse defenders.

I was going through the list of starting PFs late last season and I was surprised by how many teams where starting weak defenders at the position. Also, by how many many highly talented defenders like Taj Gibson, Chuck Hayes, Udonis Haslem and Ty Thomas were on the bench.

I didn't expect Amare to be anywhere near average. I was expecting him to be in the 21st-25th type range. But after I went through the list (last season), I felt (to my great surprise) that Amare was middle of the pack.

------------------------------------

Here is my list of (projected) starting PFs for the season:

Everyone can look through the list and figure out where they would place Amare themselves.

J.Smith, K.Garnett, B.Diaw, C.Boozer, A.Jamison, D.Nowtizki, Nene, J.Jerebko, D.Lee, L.Scola, D.West, B.Griffin, P.Gasol, Z.Randolph, C.Bosh, D.Gooden, K.Love, K.Humphries, C.Landry, A.Stoudemire, S.Ibaka, G.Davis, E.Brand, C.Frye, L.Aldridge, C.Hayes, D.Blair, A.Bargnani, P.Millsap, A.Blatche

As for me, I think I had Amare about 17th there.

The guys in brown are ones I'd rank firmly ahead of Amare. The ones in navy, firmly behind. I have most of the ones in black ahead of Amare too but the margins between them are fairly small. With a little development, Amare could move up this list quite easily (as could other players move ahead or grow further ahead of Amare).

Looking at the list of players behind Amare, you can see I don't like slow-footed defenders and dislike undersized PFs who aren't strong team defenders (like P.Millsap).

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2011, 04:29:09 AM »

Online j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
7 1/2 hours away blood already pumping.

Rondo is going to come out furious and hand a you know what whippen to whoever is his matchup.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
7 1/2 hours away blood already pumping.

Rondo is going to come out furious and hand a you know what whippen to whoever is his matchup.

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2011, 09:03:04 AM »

Offline thenotoriousjts

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
Landry Fields is the Knicks' secret weapon. He always tears through us when we play NY. I'm mostly worried about him and Amare.
Feel free to check me out here: https://hardwoodhoudini.com/author/jstevens3/ or here https://hashtagbasketball.com/author/jeremy-stevens

Can't we just bring Gerald Green back?

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2011, 10:01:41 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Landry Fields is the Knicks' secret weapon. He always tears through us when we play NY. I'm mostly worried about him and Amare.

I'm not worried about Amare at all.

Fields and Chandler are by far the most efficient players for this Knicks squad. Melo and Amare, when you put the defensive pressure on them, will start hucking up shots. They will put up points, sure, but I don't care if Melo and Amare get 50 points between them if our team scores 60.

Fields and Chandler are their best starters in terms of efficiency/advanced metrics. However, neither will get the ball that much.

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2011, 10:18:44 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah in the playoffs he torched us for 2 ppg 1 rpg 1 apg in 18 minutes a game....

In the regular season he got 9 pts 7 Rebs in 30 mins against us. With respectable but not amazing efficiency.

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2011, 10:26:12 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm nervous, must be basketball season?! LET'S GO CELTSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Any official word yet on Paul Pierce's status for the game?

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »

Offline thenotoriousjts

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14

I'm not worried about Amare at all.

Fields and Chandler are by far the most efficient players for this Knicks squad. Melo and Amare, when you put the defensive pressure on them, will start hucking up shots. They will put up points, sure, but I don't care if Melo and Amare get 50 points between them if our team scores 60.

Fields and Chandler are their best starters in terms of efficiency/advanced metrics. However, neither will get the ball that much.

I think Chandler will only be a threat if we can't rebound over him. With Amare and Melo out there without an elite point guard, it'll be hard to get the ball to him. I still expect Field's to pester us all game.
Feel free to check me out here: https://hardwoodhoudini.com/author/jstevens3/ or here https://hashtagbasketball.com/author/jeremy-stevens

Can't we just bring Gerald Green back?

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Any official word yet on Paul Pierce's status for the game?

on espn they said no update on pierces status. game time decision. I have a feelign Pierce will want to give it a go out there.

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Are we likely to have Pietrus in uniform by game time?  Or is it going to take too long to wrap up the signing?
this is from RedsArmy:
Pietrus, whose own right knee swelling voided a trade from Phoenix to Toronto earlier this month, said in a telephone interview Saturday night that he was not yet ready to play, and wouldn't be in New York Sunday, but hoped to join the Celtics in Miami for Tuesday's game against the Heat. He doesn't have a timetable for his return to the court

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »

Online j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Pierce says he could be out 3 days to 3 weeks to a month or two

This is awful news w/  no Pierce we do nothing
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2011, 11:05:35 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
pierce told reporters that he isnt playing today...pavlovic gets the start at SF.

strangely im not worried, I feel they dont want to risk further injury with pierce. let him heal...Hopefully Rondo has a big game today against douglas

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
Pierce says he could be out 3 days to 3 weeks to a month or two

This is awful news w/  no Pierce we do nothing

where did he say that?? only quote I saw was that he is out today.

Pierce: "I feel day-to-day. Everyone understands how competitive I am. If there was a chance I could play I'd be out there."

Doc says Pavlovic will start again in Pierce's place today, says Marquis would likely play if PP was expected out long term.

how long do bruised heels usually take? I just think the celts are being cautios rather than threaten further or worse injury

EDIT: answered my question with a search

"If you catch heel pain early and rest then it should recover quite quickly - within a few days. If you ignore the first onset of pain and the fat pad gets damaged beyond easy repair then this is a very difficult injury to treat. Rest means rest"
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 11:14:53 AM by cman88 »

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2011, 11:19:09 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
It's Christmas.  Presents are open.

Now let's play some basketball!