Author Topic: Time to think about trading Tatum?  (Read 18595 times)

Re: Time to think about trading Tatum?
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2019, 01:09:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
Tatum is 21 and he's probably going to make the All Star team this season. He's probably the least likely player on the roster to get traded.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Tatum is pretty much as good as Hayward is right now

He’s not particularly close yet. He will get there, but not this season.
Offensively? No. But overall impact is derived from both ends of the floor, and Tatum is in the stratosphere if Hayward is at sea level. I'd peg him in the same tier as Hayward (solid All-Star).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2019, 01:48:46 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1242
I know JT’s going through a rough patch but please...

« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2020, 02:03:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
for Towns yes

« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2020, 02:08:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
for Towns yes
Too bad Minny isn’t trading KAT. Maybe got Tatum, Brown and the Memphis pick they might... maybe
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2020, 02:32:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
for Towns yes
Too bad Minny isn’t trading KAT. Maybe got Tatum, Brown and the Memphis pick they might... maybe

If KAT wants out, Wolves have no choice

Its the way the league works now

He is probably sick and tired of losing

Tatum and Brown is too much

Not one player in the league is worth both .... not even Giannis or AD imo

Tatum, Hayward and Memphis 1st for KAT is what I would offer

« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2020, 02:53:29 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1489

I don't even think it is that big of a rough patch, he has had some bad shooting nights.  It happens.  How many poor shooting nights did Paul P have in his 3rd season?  I counted 13 games where PP shot less than 35%.

Minn isn't trading Kat for Tatum.  DA isn't trading Tatum for anyone other than a Kawaii / Lebron MVP type player.  None of those players are available right now. 

We are going to be lucky and happy to have Tatum and Brown in a year or two when both of them are in all star games battling Giannis and the bucks every year to make it to the finals. 

« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2020, 06:02:26 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I don't even think it is that big of a rough patch, he has had some bad shooting nights.  It happens.  How many poor shooting nights did Paul P have in his 3rd season?  I counted 13 games where PP shot less than 35%.

Minn isn't trading Kat for Tatum.  DA isn't trading Tatum for anyone other than a Kawaii / Lebron MVP type player.  None of those players are available right now. 

We are going to be lucky and happy to have Tatum and Brown in a year or two when both of them are in all star games battling Giannis and the bucks every year to make it to the finals.

Thats 13 games over the course of a full season. Tatum has almost the same amount in less than half the games.

Tatum might eventually be an efficient player. He is very young afterall, which is why you do not trade him. But right now there is no justification for taking the amount of shots he is taking right now, shots that should go to more efficient players in Hayward and Brown. Same with Marcus (who is my favorite celtic), I prefer his attempts last year.

« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2020, 08:50:40 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Thats 13 games over the course of a full season. Tatum has almost the same amount in less than half the games.

Tatum might eventually be an efficient player. He is very young afterall, which is why you do not trade him. But right now there is no justification for taking the amount of shots he is taking right now, shots that should go to more efficient players in Hayward and Brown. Same with Marcus (who is my favorite celtic), I prefer his attempts last year.
I too get irritated sometimes by Tatum's iso- plays, but I don't think he taking shots away from Brown (or Hayward) who was EC player-of-the-week and could make the ASG.

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2020, 09:14:51 AM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47

FWIW, Pierce actually had 16 games shooting less that 35% in '00-'01, and 8 of those were in the first 32 games.

Right now, the Cs have played 32 games, and Tatum has 9 of those games. So it's comparable.

« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2020, 10:16:45 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I too get irritated sometimes by Tatum's iso- plays, but I don't think he taking shots away from Brown (or Hayward) who was EC player-of-the-week and could make the ASG.
just this game I saw some plays that ended with him and smart being the only one that touched the ball where he forced it, and Brown and Hayward were there with him.

FWIW, Pierce actually had 16 games shooting less that 35% in '00-'01, and 8 of those were in the first 32 games.

Right now, the Cs have played 32 games, and Tatum has 9 of those games. So it's comparable.

Sure, but Pierce also played in an era where there is less freedom on offense and fouls are called less. Despite that he also generated more than twice FT attempts per game while being the primary focus of the opposing team's defense.

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47

just this game I saw some plays that ended with him and smart being the only one that touched the ball where he forced it, and Brown and Hayward were there with him.

Sure, but Pierce also played in an era where there is less freedom on offense and fouls are called less. Despite that he also generated more than twice FT attempts per game while being the primary focus of the opposing team's defense.

The numbers don't actually reflect that. FT numbers have remained rather static over the last 20 years. Teams averaged 22.3 PF per game in '00-'01 and 20.9 last season. Teams averaged 24.9 FTPG in '00-'01; 23.1 last season. this season teams are at 20.8 fouls and 22.8 FTs, respectively.

And also, Pierce and Tatum are vastly different players. Their offensive games aren't very similar. If you ask, "Yeah, but you made the point of comparing earlier," I was referring to a similarity in shooting averages, not how they play the game.

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2020, 11:30:07 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
for Towns yes

Why?

Towns hasn't proven capable of anything except putting up stats in the NBA.  Tatum has never seen less than the second round of the playoffs.  Don't trade away winners for whiners.

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2020, 11:37:48 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
The only thing Tatum really suffers from IMO is the expectations put on him. I remember after his rookie year listening to a podcast where one of the hosts asked the other two if they expected Tatum to be a "top five" player in his prime. Another host responded that he would be "surprised if he wasn't." That story simply reflects that fact that everybody expected Tatum to be really good, really soon. There were people asking last year at age 20.5 if he would be the best player on the team. The thing is, 21.5 year olds OCCASIONLLY HAVE A BAD GAME. Players that age who take on a significant scoring responsibility can often be inefficient, that doesn't mean we need to ask whether we should trade him after every bad game. I expect he will improve as the season goes on, and over the next couple years because most young players do.

I dont know exactly what Tatum will be. Maybe he's as good as Durant, maybe as good and Peirce, maybe a better Tobias Harris. It depends on exactly how much his skills improve. But given how good he s right now I wouldn't trade him for less than an elite under 25 guy (Giannis, Doncic, Towns).

« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
The only thing Tatum really suffers from IMO is the expectations put on him. I remember after his rookie year listening to a podcast where one of the hosts asked the other two if they expected Tatum to be a "top five" player in his prime. Another host responded that he would be "surprised if he wasn't." That story simply reflects that fact that everybody expected Tatum to be really good, really soon. There were people asking last year at age 20.5 if he would be the best player on the team. The thing is, 21.5 year olds OCCASIONLLY HAVE A BAD GAME. Players that age who take on a significant scoring responsibility can often be inefficient, that doesn't mean we need to ask whether we should trade him after every bad game. I expect he will improve as the season goes on, and over the next couple years because most young players do.

I dont know exactly what Tatum will be. Maybe he's as good as Durant, maybe as good and Peirce, maybe a better Tobias Harris. It depends on exactly how much his skills improve. But given how good he s right now I wouldn't trade him for less than an elite under 25 guy (Giannis, Doncic, Towns).

Yeah, along these lines it bothers me when Scal puts pressure on him during the broadcast to "take over", basically calling for Tatum to go into beast mode, which tends to hurt team play imo.  The best advice instead for Tatum's efficiency would be as Nick said for him to slow down a bit as Jaylen has learned to do.