Author Topic: Why Did Philly Take Fultz over Tatum?  (Read 5992 times)

Re: Why Did Philly Take Fultz over Tatum?
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2017, 04:47:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
we Philly

what we do!

:)

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They bought into the hype machine, a lot of folks here did as well.  Fultz was supposed to the Golden Child of this draft, aka the Chosen one.   I recall some here were very angry when we passed on him.   I for one was relieved we didn't get him.  I knew they were hiding something by hiding him for a long part of the season last year.

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2017, 05:08:42 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They bought into the hype machine, a lot of folks here did as well.  Fultz was supposed to the Golden Child of this draft, aka the Chosen one.   I recall some here were very angry when we passed on him.   I for one was relieved we didn't get him.  I knew they were hiding something by hiding him for a long part of the season last year.
yup good point . Then they unhid him for draft workouts and he was terrible. Red flag if I’ve ever seen one

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2017, 06:28:29 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Fultz's shooting was not an issue in college! The fact that it's become an issue is the reason everyone is freaking out, he was a good shooter in college.

He even looked pretty darned good in the Summer League.  Something happened in between SL and the preseason.  Did he get some bad advice from a trainer and try to change his shot?  Was he injured?

If he can just revert back to what he was doing in SL he'll be fine.  He has the skills.  The only question is whether he has some sort of confidence issue that he can't get over.

I expect he'll return to form and by the end of the year he'll be a key part of their rotation.

Summer league is against other substandard rookies or pros that wont make NBA teams.

There are numerous guards that look pretty good in summer league that will never be good enough to hold a spot on an NBA roster.

Whilst some parts of his shooting form can translate, the jump from summer league to the actual league is absolutely huge. He cant just flip a switch and look like how he played in summer league in the big league.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2017, 07:30:06 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Simmons also did not win much in college and neither, for that matter, did Jaylen Brown.

Brown Bears have a better record than Washington St. and they made it in the second round of Pac-12. Washington St. didn't even quality.

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2017, 08:25:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Fultz's shooting was not an issue in college! The fact that it's become an issue is the reason everyone is freaking out, he was a good shooter in college.

He even looked pretty darned good in the Summer League.  Something happened in between SL and the preseason.  Did he get some bad advice from a trainer and try to change his shot?  Was he injured?

If he can just revert back to what he was doing in SL he'll be fine.  He has the skills.  The only question is whether he has some sort of confidence issue that he can't get over.

I expect he'll return to form and by the end of the year he'll be a key part of their rotation.

Summer league is against other substandard rookies or pros that wont make NBA teams.

There are numerous guards that look pretty good in summer league that will never be good enough to hold a spot on an NBA roster.

Whilst some parts of his shooting form can translate, the jump from summer league to the actual league is absolutely huge. He cant just flip a switch and look like how he played in summer league in the big league.
all true, but it has very little to do with shooting and much more to do with athleticism, strength, and overall ability.  Guys just don't forget how to shoot.  Fultz clearly has something wrong with him.  Maybe it is all mental and not physical, but there is clearly something wrong.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2017, 08:40:35 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

all true, but it has very little to do with shooting and much more to do with athleticism, strength, and overall ability.  Guys just don't forget how to shoot.  Fultz clearly has something wrong with him.  Maybe it is all mental and not physical, but there is clearly something wrong.

Well scapular muscle imbalance is a failure of his and his training staff to recognize problems that he was having in his training and his physical development from a boys athlete to a men's professional athlete. The pain associated with that would affect his shooting.

With that said, the change in competition is everything to his shooting. I don't believe fultz has the athleticism or legspeed to get clear from his opponents in the nba. That's a far bigger problem than a temporary shoulder issue or a lack of confidence. If he can't get open or use his moves to overpower NBA players, he's not a number one pick. When he attacked nba guys going to the rack, he didn't have any physical advantage that a Tatum or a Dennis Smith has. He was reasonably slow, not particularly explosive, and there was no threat of a jumpshot.

Once his shoulders get right I'm sure his shot will get better, but the other stuff I mention doesn't just fix overnight.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Seemed like Fultz mania overtook Boston fans , including me to an extinct.  Huge build up of him as our most certain pick .

But ....when he came to visit .     It was not much rolling out of the red carpet by the Front office .  ai seems all I ever heard is DA took him to like McDonalds or something fast and cheap. Seemed the Celtics brass were more,or less going though the motions to me now.  I think Danny is not lying about taking Tatum no matter what . I started to think , somethings up ,  after the fultz visit.

Some much wiser college fans were skeptical in the background all along .

He maybe way more immature than anybody thought.  Where Brown and Tatum are wiser for their age.

Fultz might needed 1-2 more college years to mentally mature.

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2017, 10:00:05 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think Philly thought the only thing they were missing was a PG and they thought Fultz was the consensus #1 pick so they went out and got him.  Thankfully, Danny doesn't pay attention to pundits and trusts his scouts and his own eyes and saw what we've all been watching - Tatum is an exceptional player.

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Simmons also did not win much in college and neither, for that matter, did Jaylen Brown.

Brown Bears have a better record than Washington St. and they made it in the second round of Pac-12. Washington St. didn't even quality.

If you looked at the talent on their respective rosters, arguably, that CAL team was a bigger disappointment than the Washington team (not Washington State) that Fultz played on.    Neither roster was great but the UW roster was horrific.    Sans Fultz, it's doubtful they would beat some top prep teams.

The main point remains:  You don't draft a player because of how good or bad his team is.   Because you aren't drafting the team.  You draft the player.   

PHI didn't make a 'bad pick' of Fultz because his college team sucked any more than they made a 'good pick' of Okafor because the latter's team won the NCAA title.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2017, 04:03:51 PM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
Too be fair to the sixers it's waaaay to early to say the made the wrong pick. Fultz may yet cone back and end up a top player. They didn't draft him for the first 14 games of 2017.

Fultz was not a high ceiling player. He is not an elite athlete or was someone who needed a few years to develop. His strength was that his offensive skill set was suppose to NBA ready. And under the right coach and system maybe they could get him to play defense. He was considered a safe pick who would reach his level rather quickly. So the fact he can't shoot and has been this awful to start his career is very concerning.

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2017, 04:13:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Funny thing is fultz shooting was always concern as his free throws were as bad as deandre Jordan’s bad years. If you’re a good shooter, free throws are easiest to you

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2017, 05:05:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Funny thing is fultz shooting was always concern as his free throws were as bad as deandre Jordan’s bad years. If you’re a good shooter, free throws are easiest to you
Well that simply isn't true. Fultz shot .649 from the line in college, a mark Deandre Jordan has never really come close to in his best years.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2017, 05:09:41 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It's far too early to say much of anything except that I'm glad DA has set us up for a wonderful fan life!!! Fultz will figure it out soon enough!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
And the mistep by them was .... If they knew Celts didnt want him at #1, why not just sit tight at #3 and draft him anyways? 
There was always the risk that the C's would find another trade partner - for a veteran.