Author Topic: Dwight Howard looks good  (Read 6157 times)

Re: Dwight Howard looks good
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Not bringing him in was a mistake.  Boston has a clear need that he fills and on a minimum contract there really isn't any long term downside.  Once Walker was signed, Boston should have been making win now moves and Howard fits that bill. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 02:37:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Not bringing him in was a mistake.  Boston has a clear need that he fills and on a minimum contract there really isn't any long term downside.  Once Walker was signed, Boston should have been making win now moves and Howard fits that bill.

I agree 100%. I wonder if part of the reasoning was dealing with Irving's character last year.

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 04:37:40 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I agree 100%. I wonder if part of the reasoning was dealing with Irving's character last year.
It seems like it’s not just Howard.  The Celtics seem to avoid a lot of players who could bring character issues to the team.  I don’t think anyone thought that Irving would be so bad in that department, even after his issues in Cleveland. 

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 04:58:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I'm 100% against this.

Every team Howard has ever left has cheered his departure. He's awful to have around, he's a dinosaur, he's injury prone, and he's about to turn 34. Looking good in a couple of preseason games doesn't change any of that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 09:30:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm 100% against this.

Every team Howard has ever left has cheered his departure. He's awful to have around, he's a dinosaur, he's injury prone, and he's about to turn 34. Looking good in a couple of preseason games doesn't change any of that.
He is also a true big man on a team that has 1.5 true big men on the roster (and I'm counting PF's in that as well as centers). 

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 09:37:25 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I'm 100% against this.

He is also a true big man on a team that has 1.5 true big men on the roster (and I'm counting PF's in that as well as centers).

He is also the former teammate of our best player during a season where that team lacked chemistry and struggled to perform.

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 10:26:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I'm 100% against this.

He is also the former teammate of our best player during a season where that team lacked chemistry and struggled to perform.

good point

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 10:30:59 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
It's true the Celts need a quality big man.

But Dwight Howard is not the answer.

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2019, 10:33:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm 100% against this.

Sure and Kemba always raved about Dwight, even post-Charlotte.  They seemed to get along very well together. 

“It was cool man. I’ve always been a huge fan of Dwight,” “He’s always been one of the guys who I’ve always wanted to play with. Growing up, Dwight was a beast. It was good. Unfortunately it didn’t work out. Sometimes teams don’t do well. That’s just the nature of the game. I played with plenty of other guys who came to the team. It just didn’t work out. For the one season we had, it was fun."

“It sucks that we didn’t go as far as we wish we could have but I had a pretty good season individually, and Dwight had a great season individually. Now he’s gonna move on — he’s in Washington now.”

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 11:16:15 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

I'm 100% against this.

Omer Asik is a true big, too. Getting a true big doesn't help much if he isn't good at basketball anymore.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2019, 11:29:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I'm 100% against this.

Sure and Kemba always raved about Dwight, even post-Charlotte.  They seemed to get along very well together. 

“It was cool man. I’ve always been a huge fan of Dwight,” “He’s always been one of the guys who I’ve always wanted to play with. Growing up, Dwight was a beast. It was good. Unfortunately it didn’t work out. Sometimes teams don’t do well. That’s just the nature of the game. I played with plenty of other guys who came to the team. It just didn’t work out. For the one season we had, it was fun."

“It sucks that we didn’t go as far as we wish we could have but I had a pretty good season individually, and Dwight had a great season individually. Now he’s gonna move on — he’s in Washington now.”

Nice find Moranis. Tp. This does raise a question though, I feel like they let howard go in a time when the hornets were really trying to keep walker happy. Is it weird they dumped howard for nothing when their best player liked him?

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

I'm 100% against this.

Nice find Moranis. Tp. This does raise a question though, I feel like they let howard go in a time when the hornets were really trying to keep walker happy. Is it weird they dumped howard for nothing when their best player liked him?

Kemba's reputation is as being one of the nicest guys in the league. That he said nice things publicly about Dwight Howard doesn't surprise me.

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2019, 01:36:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm 100% against this.

Kemba likes basically everyone.  I was just commenting on the implication that Kemba and Dwight didn't get along.  I think they got along just fine, the team though didn't work well (and I don't think that had anything to do with Dwight and Kemba, but the rest of that crappy roster).  Dwight was an easy scapegoat and fall guy, but it isn't like they were dramatically better without Dwight the following season, as they weren't. 

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2019, 11:52:55 PM »

Offline scottwedman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
For the minimum?  Low risk, high reward and the Lakers lose nothing if they have to cut him.  If nothing else, he looks like freaking Adonis now.

Probably best to not use that kind of language. Doesn't really relate to his basketball skills either.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:55:20 PM by gouki88 »

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2020, 12:26:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Do people want to change their takes on Howard after a half a season coming off the bench? I think he would be an ideal fit for us right now. Also haven't heard a peep about him being bad character on lakers.