Author Topic: LeBlock Gate  (Read 6618 times)

LeBlock Gate
« on: April 26, 2018, 10:14:33 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Are the NBA defenders watching? This is why these stars are larger than life..they are allowed to foul on offense and defense, and now they can goaltend too....no wonder LeBlock makes NBA all defense teams..

Re: LeBlock Gate
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:32:44 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm really shocked the Pacers didn't make more noise about this. They got screwed. That was a clear goaltend on a game winning shot.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Totally should have been called under the current rules, but they should change the rules as that shouldn't have been a goal tend.  The ball was still going up and wasn't directly over the hoop. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:42:54 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I honestly don't think someone should expect a referee to see a goaltend that was that close in actual real time. I guess the question should be, if the possible goaltend is that close, should the referee just blow the whistle every time to see the replay?

I have to give it up to LeBron. He made a great play on defense, and followed it up with an even better play on offense to win the game. Now would LeBron have been able to make that same shot if the goaltend was called and Cleveland was down by two, instead of the game being tied? I'd rather see a guy make a play like LeBron did on defense, than to see Indiana win on a technicality based on a ball hitting the backboard a mere 2/10 of a second before it was blocked.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 10:47:31 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It was really bang bang.  In real time, that is really difficult to catch. 

Definitely was goaltending but you see that with the benefit of instant replay.  I can see how the referees would miss it in real time.  The game moves do [dang] fast at that level.  It was really that close.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I honestly don't think someone should expect a referee to see a goaltend that was that close in actual real time. I guess the question should be, if the possible goaltend is that close, should the referee just blow the whistle every time to see the replay?

I have to give it up to LeBron. He made a great play on defense, and followed it up with an even better play on offense to win the game. Now would LeBron have been able to make that same shot if the goaltend was called and Cleveland was down by two, instead of the game being tied? I'd rather see a guy make a play like LeBron did on defense, than to see Indiana win on a technicality based on a ball hitting the backboard a mere 2/10 of a second before it was blocked.

I'd rather see LeBron lose. And I'd rather see the correct calls made.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 11:03:33 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I feel like when it is that close they have to be able to review it in that kind of situation. I don't want to see a game decided like that. You also have to feel like if the game was in Indiana it would have been called

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 11:15:53 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Even if the refs got the call right, the Pacers still lose.  It's like everyone's forgetting that LeBron went down and hit a 3 afterwards.  Sure the Pacers will run a slightly different defense (Sabonis and Oladipo would have probably been guarding the corner 3's instead of doubling Love in the post), but LeBron would still be guarded the same way at the top by Young.  So even if the refs got the goaltend right, LeBron still hits the 3 and the Pacers still lose.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:27:02 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Even if the refs got the call right, the Pacers still lose.  It's like everyone's forgetting that LeBron went down and hit a 3 afterwards.  Sure the Pacers will run a slightly different defense (Sabonis and Oladipo would have probably been guarding the corner 3's instead of doubling Love in the post), but LeBron would still be guarded the same way at the top by Young.  So even if the refs got the goaltend right, LeBron still hits the 3 and the Pacers still lose.

I don't think we can safely assume that, because of the butterfly effect.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 11:42:41 AM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Clearly a goaltend and that non-call changed a lot. With the scored tied there’s low pressure shooting the final shot: the worse that can happen is there’s an overtime.  But behind by 2 points, the game - a huge game - is on the line, so there’s great pressure to hit the shot, and Lebron has a history of missing those.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:33:30 PM by alley oop »

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Why was it not reviewable? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen goaltending calls reviewed. No?

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

You seem to be missing the key point that the pacers would be setting up their whole defense to guard the 3 so the worst that could happen would be a tie. When it was tied they actually preferred the three being shot cause it is a lower percentage and any shot beats them. You understand that right?

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 11:55:15 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Why was it not reviewable? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen goaltending calls reviewed. No?

Apparently they can only review it if they called it a goaltend , not if they did not blow the whistle

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Apparently they can only review it if they called it a goaltend , not if they did not blow the whistle
Yeah they can only review calls that have a blown whistle or the clock stops immediately on the play (like a ball out of bounds). 

Again though, that should not be a goal tend and the rules should be changed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 12:17:38 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

You seem to be missing the key point that the pacers would be setting up their whole defense to guard the 3 so the worst that could happen would be a tie. When it was tied they actually preferred the three being shot cause it is a lower percentage and any shot beats them. You understand that right?

What did I write in my post?

Sure the Pacers will run a slightly different defense (Sabonis and Oladipo would have probably been guarding the corner 3's instead of doubling Love in the post)

Even so, if I really think about it, I don't know if the Pacers run a different D.  Whether you're up 2 or tied, you don't give up an easy 2 to send the game to overtime, you still guard everything to get the win.  The different D would probably only come if the Pacers are up 3, which they wouldn't be, unless we're arguing it was a goaltend + a foul.

It's not like Thad Young was laying off LeBron giving him the 3, he was guarding him tight for everything.  I see Thad Young guarding LeBron the same way whether tied, or up 2, or up 3 even (different D would come from Sabonis and Oladipo, not Young).  So how do you think the D would have been drawn up?  The real difference to me would be the mental pressure on LeBron, easier to take a shot knowing the worst case is overtime vs worst case being a loss.  Still think that if down 2, the Cavs run the same play and the Pacers D up LeBron the same way.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class