Author Topic: To those criticizing Ainge  (Read 12045 times)

Re: To those criticizing Ainge
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 04:38:34 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
yes yes yes. There was just nothing he could do. Other GMs were pulling off great trades, but the fates aligned against him and there was nothing he could have possibly done. We understand.

Did I miss something?  I don't remember any great trades being made
go back and look then

So, do you have any examples, or are you admitting that there weren't?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
This was a completely unnecessary thread.
Ainge has made plenty of mistakes. 
Ainge didn't play it smart this time around: not even close.
Nobody's above criticism. 
Boston's been failing to do what they've claimed they were going to do for years now, and Ainge is the leader.  He deserves the heat. 

But, do let us all know when we finally get those fireworks.

Translation:  "Ainge didn't play make the moves I would have made, therefore they were dumb moves"

Ainge knows more about basketball and the prospects in the draft than anyone here, and any of the media analysts (if they knew what they were doing better than GMs, they would have a job with a front office).  Calling a move stupid just because you wouldn't have made it is asinine

That's not the translation, at all.  And, while it's amusing to watch the blind homers resort to the appeal to authority fallacy and act like bullies around here, it doesn't really help further the discussion, so I'll be ignoring you for the rest of this thread.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 04:44:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
yes yes yes. There was just nothing he could do. Other GMs were pulling off great trades, but the fates aligned against him and there was nothing he could have possibly done. We understand.

What other great trades did other GMs pull off this past thursday? Because I didn't see any. I just saw a handful of mediocre, low impact trades. None for players that I would have been happy to give up our double max FA ability for.

The only team that came out of draft night with a great trade was OKC, by getting Orlando to overpay for an Ibaka rental. We couldn't have made that deal because we have no vet player of Ibaka's level that we want to move, and no room for more rookies that OKC received.
Folks. Let's cut the BS. There were plenty of trades that were made that if Ainge had made them people here would have oohed and ahed

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 04:46:42 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Boston's been failing to do what they've claimed they were going to do for years now, and Ainge is the leader.  He deserves the heat. 

Translation:  "Ainge didn't play make the moves I would have made, therefore they were dumb moves"

Ainge knows more about basketball and the prospects in the draft than anyone here, and any of the media analysts (if they knew what they were doing better than GMs, they would have a job with a front office).  Calling a move stupid just because you wouldn't have made it is asinine

That's not the translation, at all.  And, while it's amusing to watch the blind homers resort to the appeal to authority fallacy and act like bullies around here, it doesn't really help further the discussion, so I'll be ignoring you for the rest of this thread.

TP to you, sir, for one of the few factual posts in this thread.

Bullies, and in some cases, liars indeed.

Someone wake me up when Ainge and Cry Wolf Grousbeck actually do something meaningful to improve this team, or better yet, when Grousbeck sells the club to someone serious about competing for a title.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 04:46:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Did I miss something?  I don't remember any great trades being made
go back and look then

So, do you have any examples, or are you admitting that there weren't?
maybe I should have just said "good trades." Better?

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

I completely disagree.  There was no reason to make any significant moves before meeting with Durant.  If we strike out on signing two max contracts, you can bellyache about it.  But until then, bringing in large contracts (effectively killing our double max cap space) would be a foolish decision.

Your post doesn't really respond to mine, and is really just continuing an approach that does nothing but kick the can down to the next line, which is what the homers have been doing for years.  "Wait for the draft!" becomes "Wait for free agency!" becomes "Wait for trades" becomes "Wait for the draft!".  It's been a ridiculous cycle, and you're one of the posters who should be smart enough to realize what you've fallen into.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 04:48:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706

What other great trades did other GMs pull off this past thursday? Because I didn't see any. I just saw a handful of mediocre, low impact trades. None for players that I would have been happy to give up our double max FA ability for.

The only team that came out of draft night with a great trade was OKC, by getting Orlando to overpay for an Ibaka rental. We couldn't have made that deal because we have no vet player of Ibaka's level that we want to move, and no room for more rookies that OKC received.
Folks. Let's cut the BS. There were plenty of trades that were made that if Ainge had made them people here would have oohed and ahed

Such as? I gave an example of the one trade I considered great, and why we couldn't make it. What trades that were made do you think were good trades that Ainge missed out on?

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Name one?

I already said, the only trade I could perceive as "great" is the Suns getting the #8 pick for #13, #28, a future 2nd, and the draft rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic (not to be confused with the Nets' Bojan Bogdanovic who isn't even from the same country).  Bogdan was taken in the 1st round in 2014 and was Turkish League champion/Turkish League all-star, Finals MVP and Turkish Cup MVP.   He's seen as a decent asset.    If you're super high on Marquiss Chriss, I get the logic that it was a horrible trade for the Kings... but the Suns had to give up assets to get him.

Beyond that... what are you talking about?   Like I've said three times now, trading a pick for Thad Young would have killed our ability to have double-max cap space.  The ability to sign a second max contract (Durant's choice) is one of our greatest selling points.  Ruining that ability to take a borderline backup power forward would have been pretty dumb... which is why Thad was only worth a #20 pick.

Getting into the woods here a bit... we need roughly 52.8million dollars in cap space to offer Durant + a buddy max contracts.  Boston is teetering pretty close to that number if they are prepared to let Sully and Zeller walk and renounce (or trade) Amir and Jerebko.   It might not seem like a huge deal, but by using #16 and #23 on draft-and-stash talent, we save a couple million.  Had we put together a compelling package for #8, we'd have another 2.6 mil in salary to worry about this offseason.   
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 04:55:54 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 04:57:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Did anybody pay any attention whatsoever to the 24ish hours that were the draft?

Teague for the 12th pick. An all star for the 12th pick. That was a great trade.

OKC got a GREAT trade.

I also absolutely do not believe that there wasn't a decent trade to be had for the 3rd pick. Don't believe it. Don't come here with that.

The trade we made with the 2nds for the future first. It was decent.

Robin Lopez and Jerian Grant for D Rose is pretty good.

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 04:59:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Hey while we're out there saying that the other GMs were being meanies to Ainge should we also start a rumor they threatened to kick his little doggie too?

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 04:59:54 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
bunch of idiots booing ainge and wyc in front othe world while we are trying everything to bring durant here- great picture of fanbase and organization- fans owe an apology to those drafted and the celtics organization that works so hard-short term gratification mixed with sense of entitlement-it was enbarrassing

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 05:00:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Did anybody pay any attention whatsoever to the 24ish hours that were the draft?

Teague for the 12th pick. An all star for the 12th pick. That was a great trade.

OKC got a GREAT trade.

I also absolutely do not believe that there wasn't a decent trade to be had for the 3rd pick. Don't believe it. Don't come here with that.

Your views on the OKC trade is slanted by your known love of Oladipo (an inefficient backup).  Not surprised you loved that one.  There's mixed views on that trade.  Perhaps if we had Ibaka we could have landed your binkie.  But we didn't have an Ibaka to trade.

Actually, the Utah Jazz gave up the #12 pick for George Hill, didn't they?

I guess if you believed we could have packaged #16 + #23 for George HIll, it would have helped us... but once again, it would have added 8 million in salary to our team... which kills our ability to have double-max cap space.  And George Hill, while a nice veteran who can shoot, plays a position we have a lot of talent at.

What I do agree with you on is that there had to be trades available for the #3 pick.  And I believe there are still trades available for Jaylen Brown if we choose to trade him.   But right now, the best approach was to wait until we met with Durant, maintain all our flexibility, and keep our option of offering a second max contract to a running-mate for KD.   You don't blow that opportunity to bring in a 7th guard in George Hill.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:06:10 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 05:03:04 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

OKC got a GREAT trade.

What would you have added to  the 16th pick to equal the 12th  and where would you play another PG?

Rose is about done.   And again where do you put another PG?

Who are the Celtics trading away to get that return?

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 05:03:34 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

So, do you have proof that they were dumb moves, then?  All it is is just whining that YOU think they were dumb moves.  I'm sorry to say that Ainge know's better than you (and everyone here), but that's the case.  If you want to call them dumb picks when we find out whether or not they're capable of playing in the nba, fine.  But right now you're just complaining that he didn't make the moves you wanted
I'm bitter.

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 05:06:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706

OKC got a GREAT trade.

Where would Teague fit in on our team? Would you be willing to give up our double max cap space for a guy who is not as good as IT and would take playing time away from our best player and from Smart and Bradley? I'm glad we didn't trade for Teague. He doesnt help our team at all.

The OKC trade was great for OKC, but as I said, what borderline all-star PF do we have to offer to Orlando, and why would we want more rookies when we were already drafting 8 players?

The Rose trade, Rose is cooked, would kill our cap, and like Teague doesnt fit our team. The Bulls were trying to give him away. On the other side, the guys we drafted thursday night are much better than Robin Lopez and Jerian Grant, and we didn't have to give up anything to get them, AND they allow us to keep our cap flexibility.

So, where are the good trades that were made that would have helped us that we missed out on?